Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Balancing hero roles (LOTSA READING)

Basic Member
    Bumping this back up since the section is cleared up a little after the patch.

Basic Member
    Good concept. Would like to see this in the game.

Basic Member
    Updated the main table with Rubick (With orange colored row for easy recognition)
    Should I just do the rest of the heroes? Or should I wait for Valve's first?

Basic Member
    Did Luna's and Wisp's, highlighted in dark orange as usual for easier search.

Please advise on Wisp's (lol i dun play it)

Basic Member
    wisp is a really weird hero, i would say support/ganker, but is not like he can gank alone most of the time he travels with some other hero...
    MOSTLY SUPPORT!

Basic Member
    Overhaul Update 2 changes documentary
    Primary roles are now 'linked' with Tools and Traits
    >This addition will allow beginners to know what the primary role of the hero is, while understanding the general play style of the specific hero.
    >Although still not showing the hero's weakness, it does properly highlight the hero's strength now. It also opened up for a few new categories.
    >As for the rating balance, any T&T linked under the primary role will not count towards the total rating. Not sure how general mentality works, but for examples are like even though it has 3 stars into Damage as a 2 star carry, it still can't beat a hero with 3 stars carry as a carry, although it still does affect the total rating by a small margin. (Giving them -1 total)
    >Some UI changes to the Hero Card will be required, which I will cook up one soon. (Update, check main post)

Added 2 new categories and 11 new sub-categories
    >Woooo this is a lot of them. Thanks to the new Primary role linking, it opened up lots of possibility for new uncalled strengths as I don't really have to worry as much about rating balances.
    >Even so, I can't add everything in because I had to take care of redundancies, and this is the hard part as I scrapped countless ideas (heroes with heal, for example).
    >Other than that, I also have to worry about having too much categories could confuse newbies, but this is difficult to adjust. OH WELL.
    >In the end, I think I'm fairly satisfied with the options I make. Any screw ups that I realize later, just update the damn thing again!

Each heroes now can only have up to 4 categories (excluding linked)
    >Now the Hero Card should look better again compared to previous 5 categories rule. And with Primary Role linking up to 3 other T&T, it is effectively 7 categories involved!
    >Not to mention that it also ease up complexity of first impressions (until you mouse over to the primary role, lol), its a win-win situation!

Removal of category "Versatile" and revamped Carry sub-categories
    >Redundancies, as mentioned. Versatile was really good, until I realized that it really served no purpose to filter Versatile. Useful for telling newcomers that this hero can do alot, nothing else beyond that. Not to mention with 7 effective categories now, it really has been replaced, other than for Invoker and Rubick maybe.
    >As for Carry sub-categories revamp, it is really hard to explain why it was revamped to this crappy Farmer and not-a-farmer carry. In reality, I felt that Carry only has 1 meaning: get items and kickass, and it is very uneasy to tell players that every item build for each carry is different. Besides, with the new Damage and Nuker (Physical) categories this shouldn't be needed any longer.

Color coding re-purposed because I'm too lazy to keep track.
    >Originally this is to keep track of what I changed from Valve's ranking compared to mine (and the community's). But it proved to be quite the chore and I've changed so much since then. >Therefore I've change it to compare towards any "not reverted back to revision 1 changes" instead, for anybody keeping track of that table (Q_Q).

Requests
    >[PROBLEM SOLVED] Is there anyway I do row and column NON-NULL searches in Google Docs? Kinda like imitating role filtering in the game.
    >Also try introducing the table towards any buddies of yours who just got into the game and see if they get confused or not. Then post a feedback here.

Thank you for reading! (and contribution if there is any)
    Last edited by AbsoluteNoob; 07-10-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Basic Member
    I don't have much experience with Siren since her skill change, played her and she feels like a initiator / semi carry?
    Anybody mind giving me a pointer how she functions? (most guides are outdated so I can't reference)

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteNoob View Post
    I don't have much experience with Siren since her skill change, played her and she feels like a initiator / semi carry?
    Anybody mind giving me a pointer how she functions? (most guides are outdated so I can't reference)
    She's a very unique initiator which can help other initiators/teammates to take a better position or use it for a global escape for everyone in the team.
    Her other spells makes her similar to chaos knight/phantom lancer - her illusions hurts and confuse once you get enough items and she also has a chasing ability

Basic Member
    Interesting. The current system could use some work, but I think Valve's intention is to keep this very simple and straight forward.

PS- If you freeze panes vertically to the right of the hero name it would make the spreadsheet a lot easier to view.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DamageInq View Post
    PS- If you freeze panes vertically to the right of the hero name it would make the spreadsheet a lot easier to view.
    All done, sorry that I forgot about viewers with smaller screens, lol. (and late reply)
    Also, Google Spreadsheet is totally screwed on Opera browsers right now. For me at least, so don't use it.

Updated with latest heroes. By the looks of it I won't be touching this for a while. (NO MOAR NEW HEROES TILL TI2 SAD)