Thread: [Intended?] Berserker's Call + hold/stop commands

Basic Member

[Intended?] Berserker's Call + hold/stop commands

In dota1 whenever Axe calls a enemy hero, the player controlling the enemy hero could spam hold to cancel his attack on axe (not possible in dota2), this in return would give axe more chances to counter-helix because counter-helix procs at the beginning of an attack and not when axe actually gets hit, so this is kind of a nerf for axe in some situations and in return:

A bonus of this mechanic though was that if you went invisible with gondar (or any other invisible hero that cancels his invisibility the moment he attacks a unit and not at the beginning of his attack) and axe called you, you could spam hold to cancel all of your attacks at the risk of making axe trigger tons of counter-helixes but you would keep you invisibility.

and there seems to be a bug with test mode right now, you can only cancel your attack animation (with h) with the hero you originally picked and not the ones you spawn
    Last edited by dresmasher; 06-09-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Basic Member
    bump for justice

Basic Member
    So, what exactly is your point?

I believe now counter helix only procs when hits connect, which is a fix.

And I also believe you aren't (and shouldn't be, anyway, as this would hinder the usefulness of call) able to cancel your hits during call, which is also another fix.

Not sure though, I haven't tested this scenario.

I am bumping this thread from the deeps of the Gameplay Bugs section, beacuse...

First of all, this is neither on the Common Bugs List, nor on the Intended Changes List.

Second thing is, I am actually annoyed of this [Bug]/[Intended Change]. On W3 DotA, you could;
    • hold yourself from attacking Axe with his Blade Mail active, but now, you just can't
    • hold yourself from getting dragged by Axe to somewhere by spamming H or S, but now, you just can't
    • (these are the ones that I could come up with, but there might be more)

I don't know if there was a limitation on W3 Engine to make you unable to stop/hold from attacking; but it feels like it should be doable. W3 could just take the control of your hero when you get affected by the Berserker's Call, and then give the control back when it ends...

Could anybody with knowledge about the mechanics inform us if this could be possible on W3 or not?

And, I suggest taking this as a [Bug] until we hear an official word that it has been changed to be like this intentionally.

Basic Member
    spamming "s" or "h" while being taunted is just a neat trick.
    i am glad that it's not possible anymore.
    i'd consider this as an intended fix.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Then we can have it on the intended fix list as confirmed by a moderator or being discussed.
    Currently, this is just unlisted.

Basic Member
    done.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by portucci View Post
    I believe now counter helix only procs when hits connect, which is a fix.
    No, all effects that trigger from being attacked (Counter Helix, Return, Untouchable to name some) still trigger upon initiating the attack.
    All effects that trigger from attacking (Essence Shift, Backstab to name some) trigger when the hit connects now however.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoAppelsin View Post
    I don't know if there was a limitation on W3 Engine to make you unable to stop/hold from attacking; but it feels like it should be doable. W3 could just take the control of your hero when you get affected by the Berserker's Call, and then give the control back when it ends...

Could anybody with knowledge about the mechanics inform us if this could be possible on W3 or not?
    It kind of depends how much of a work around you wish to make...
    1. The 'simple' method would be to just replace any order given to the unit with the order to attack Axe. This creates the behavior we see on WC3, as the orders you give take a split second for the trigger to replace, hence the attack is still cancelled. (Though this method should also allow you to cancel the attack by using ANY order, rather than just stop/hold, did you guys just not mention this or did IF prevent this somehow? I'm not aware of a method to do this)
    2. Then there's a work around of just forcefully unselecting the players hero for the duration of the spell, but this would obviously give the problem of having to reselect your hero which'd basically buff Axe.
    3. Now you could make another work around by then having the player automatically reselect the hero once the spell is over, but this gives a problem of what if you don't wish to select it anymore by the end? (Perhaps you decided to instead go a micro a creep for the duration, or you had a creep selected when you got taunted and now want to select your hero)
    4. Then if you want to go all the way you could make a trigger that tracks player selection to solve the issue in #3, however as there is no generic 'A unit is selected' trigger you'd have to keep track of every unit controlled by a player, which in some cases with heroes like say Broodmother is probably going to get ridiculously spammy and may lag the game in the long run.

So it's basically like pick your poison, none of them are perfect.

Can't you just make Patrol, Move, Stop, Hold Position and Attack commands unavailable for that brief period? I mean, you can remove the Attack by typing -attackoff on the Test Map, so I think the other ones can be done aswell... And then force the affected units to attack the Axe.

If removing the Attack disables you from making the units forcefully attack the Axe, then, okay... Leave the Attack command as it is, but remove the rest, and the only way to interrupt yourself from attacking the Axe will be to give an Attack order to some other random unit; which will be reverted back to Attack-to-Axe like it currently does.
    At least, this way IceFrog could have prevented players to hold themselves from attacking the Axe partially. Then H and S spamming wouldn't work, but just the right clicking on a random unit would work, which would be the only way.

If removing the Move disables the hero from following the Axe, then, okay, leave the Move aswell.
    H and S spamming would still not be an option to stop yourself from attacking the axe. Only right-clicking on the ground or a random unit would work...
    Still, better than nothing. But even those were not made.

If removing the Stop and Hold Position is not possible, please disregard this suggestion D: