Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: I am greatly disappointed by the keys / chest system, tons of duplicates!

Basic Member

Angry I am greatly disappointed by the keys / chest system, tons of duplicates!

I have now spent about $50 of real world money on keys to unlock chests, only to see dupe after dupe after dupe. I have gotten one rare, but the vast majority have been "strange" variations of normal items that can be bought in the shop. At the moment these strange items don't seem to have any value at all in the community, they're perceived to be useless because no one can see the changing names as different tiers are reached with the item.

Check out this list to see how bad this dupe situation has hit me:

4 Strange Doubly Braided Beards for Nature's Prophet
    2 Strange Horns of the Forest Lord for Nature's Prophet
    2 Strange Three-Fold Mien of the Boar God for Juggernaut
    3 Strange Omnishred the Defiant for Juggernaut
    2 Strange Visage of the Ivory Isles for Juggernaut
    2 Strange kimono of the Ebony Tower for Juggernaut

I can tell you this, when I was hooked to League of Legends or even Heroes of Newerth my $50 went much further. At least I knew if I was buying an expensive skin it'd actually be rare. I don't know if I'd mind the strange items quite as much if they were actually different, but the fact I have seen so many dupes is really irritating. I mean, I'm spending real money here. I would have expected to see at least one exceptionally rare item by now, or at least one of those special couriers with glowing eyes.

I'm honestly questioning if I'll ever spend money on Dota 2 again, at least when it comes to treasure chest keys. I hate to say it, but I kind of feel ripped off at the moment. I should have spent that $50 on boosts.

Buy Axe’s Demon Blood Bundle, ???, Profit!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VenomBHz View Post
    Buy Axe’s Demon Blood Bundle, ???, Profit!
    That would have made much more sense, I don't think chests / keys are ready for primetime especially when keys cost money. To put that list into perspective, that's $37.35 worth of keys for 6 individual (and mostly worthless) items, and 9 dupes with the exact same value.

Basic Member
    Chests are like gambling, you can get something extremely rare or something really common that every one can have without giving any money.

Look at tf2, some ppl just get extremely lucky and from one unlocked chest they get a rare unusual and some use 200 keys and get none or some shitty one...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ithoran View Post
    Chests are like gambling, you can get something extremely rare or something really common that every one can have without giving any money.

Look at tf2, some ppl just get extremely lucky and from one unlocked chest they get a rare unusual and some use 200 keys and get none or some shitty one...
    Dota 2 players were supposed to understand this just from the blog update / announcement? When you look at the descriptions of the chest, especially from outside of the game, it sounds like you've got equal odds to get any of the stuff listed. Given the variety of items listed (including couriers), I really don't think I should have seen so many dupes. Seriously, 6 different items, 9 dupes.

The mere fact that players have to spend a decent chunk of cash for each chest key could / would make someone like me think that they're going to have a better chance of getting something special out of that list. Especially after purchasing and using 15 keys. Instead, I just saw strange item after strange item, and got as many as four of one type in particular.

Please don't assume that everyone is familiar with TF2's system, because I'm an example of someone who is not. I loved the original Team Fortress, but couldn't stand TF2. I thought Valve completely ruined the feel of the original game in just about every way. As a result I never really got into it, so I have no idea how things work with TF2 drops. The extent of my TF2 knowledge goes about as far as knowing that people make fun of it for having hats.
    Last edited by Ohmwrecker; 06-10-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Basic Member
    So it took you $50 before you realized opening chests wasn't worth it?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmwrecker View Post
    Dota 2 players were supposed to understand this just from the blog update / announcement? When you look at the descriptions of the chest, especially from outside of the game, it sounds like you've got equal odds to get any of the stuff listed. Given the variety of items listed (including couriers), I really don't think I should have seen so many dupes. Seriously, 6 different items, 9 dupes.

The mere fact that players have to spend a decent chunk of cash for each chest key could / would make someone like me think that they're going to have a better chance of getting something special out of that list. Especially after purchasing and using 15 keys. Instead, I just saw strange item after strange item, and got as many as four of one type in particular.

Please don't assume that everyone is familiar with TF2's system, because I'm an example of someone who is not. I loved the original Team Fortress, but couldn't stand TF2. I thought Valve completely ruined the feel of the original game in just about every way. As a result I never really got into it, so I have no idea how things work with TF2 drops. The extent of my TF2 knowledge goes about as far as knowing that people make fun of it for having hats.
    Nuff said if people make fun of it for having hats not for competitive play....... I think you are insult TF2 players if you said like that...
    Its very idiot to quit play dota 2/TF2 if only problem with comestic items

Basic Member
    I do agree that it would be nice if there were at least odds in your favour to avoid item dupes. You are spending money at the end of the day, so it would be nice to see a little reward, especially for someone spending so much in your case. On the other hand though, it's no different than gambling, and if someone says you can bet on red or black, you can't expect it to eventually let you win just because you keep playing, that's why gamblers *always* lose. With the amount of money you spent, I've got to be honest and say you've been a bit silly, you should have just cut your loses and directly purchased the item(s) you wanted. No risk, no gambling, just a fixed price and a happy customer.
    Last edited by CukyDoh; 06-10-2012 at 05:59 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmwrecker View Post
    I should have spent that $50 on boosts.
    what boosts?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasheem View Post
    what boosts?

I assume he means the Battle Point boosts.