Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Make Northern edge fall off into an interesting vista.

[Suggestion] Make Northern edge fall off into an interesting vista.

Thinking about how at least some time is spent in the woods on the edge of the map, I thought about how other games implement map edges and how they occasionally make them interesting. Starcraft II seems to do the best, with landscapes of buildings far below or tall waterfalls that extend far past the height of the camera. Taking a look at the Radiant forest at the lower edge of the map, I see a cliff above the forest with more trees perched atop. It's suitably busy; not bare, but also just ambient enough to preserve the artistic vision when the player or an observer has the camera bumping with the bottom, even at the lower right corner. Looking at the top edge and top left corner for the Dire? I get vibes of bare placeholder terrain from unfinished MMO's. I feel it could be spiced up just a bit; not so much that some simple artistic trickery won't do the job, but enough to match the immersion and level of detail packed into other seemingly unimportant parts of the map.

Here's an idea: Maybe the Dire fortress is perched over the edge of a massive valley or volcanic abyss. To the west of the fortress walls, have the artists whip up some nice visual voodoo to make it look like, at the edge of the burnt forest, there's a sheer falloff into a hellish landscape below or a gigantic pit of fiery death. Kind of like underneath the Dire ancient.

It'd be interesting to look at, and add some real flavor both to the Dire side of the map on the whole, and to those odd chases and team fights through the forest we sometimes see.

Basic Member
    +1

Basic Member
    ^that

good idea.

it would be a really nice feature but it isnt necessary. i'd rather they spend more time on heroes, bugfixes etc.
    altho i really like the idea, and would like to see it somewhere in the future.

Basic Member
    +1!

Awesome idea. Someone commend this guy

Basic Member
    +2

Basic Member
    excellent suggestion

I personally like your idea and would like to see it implemented, but you're forgetting that these cosmetics would increase the toll on the system to the point where Valve would lose customers due to requirements.

Only a survey that can accurately place players into groups can tell them if something like this would more harm than good. (Ex: low:15%; medium-low:20%; medium:20%; high:20%; very-high:25% - Just an idea to illustrate what i tried to say, nothing more).

Sorry for my English,
    -Lixie