Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the community getting worse?

Basic Member
    I encountered maybe one leaver a week a few months ago, and that was usually because they had to go. Now I have at least one rage quit a day. It's sad.

Banned
    Confirmed.
    Pretty sure the cause is the not correctly working punishment systems. Months ago everyone was scared about Reports and Low Priority. Now, most people don't believe in these things anymore. Resulting in more people flaming again.
    Generally, if people see other people flaming unpunished, they some time start doing it themselves.

Banned
    Yep. Lots more intentional tossers since nothing is done about it. I also routinely leave now, since, well, nothing is done about it. NO stats? who cares? Toss and leave. That's pretty much 30% of DotA 2 game.s

Quote Originally Posted by HMAN911 View Post
    If you play Dota 2 without RL friends, you will lose faith in humanity very, very quickly. Just saying.

The anonymity of the internet coupled with a highly competitive team based game like Dota 2 don't mix well.
    Oh man. I have played Online games since only forever and online DotA since only 9ish years ago. Yes I have gotten very cynical but I have to be honest and give credit to all the awesome folks who have made my time well worth it. I have made thousands of friends over the years through this game. There is no reason why it has to be only negative.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4saken.infinity View Post
    Oh man. I have played Online games since only forever and online DotA since only 9ish years ago. Yes I have gotten very cynical but I have to be honest and give credit to all the awesome folks who have made my time well worth it. I have made thousands of friends over the years through this game. There is no reason why it has to be only negative.
    Obviously there will be exceptions.

Basic Member
    Try playing with everyone muted. You can still see pings—which is all a sizable portion if not the majority of players use for gameplay communication anyway. And it has the side effect of you'll learn to use the minimap instead of relying on sketchy mia reports.

Obviously there will be exceptions.
    No, that's not what I was getting at. You made it sound as though it was completely hopeless. And even now you are arguing that the majority case is that people are basically ruining themselves and others through this game and that without RL friends, one is bound to turn cynical. I don't disagree with that completely but I don't believe that the case here is anything but that of a vocal minority getting more airtime than the majority. Most of the time, people STILL play this game to actually play the game and only because they actually love it. The game is built in a way that sometimes it brings the worst out of each and everyone of us but there is no reason to lose faith over it. If you go in with a positive attitude, even dire things turn bright. I am not saying you should adapt a mentality where you refuse to acknowledge the problems, because that way you will never improve. What I am saying instead is to give credit where its due. Yes there are many problems, but there are also as many bright spots. You can and should make friends through DotA - friends that you wouldn't otherwise have made.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4saken.infinity View Post
    No, that's not what I was getting at. You made it sound as though it was completely hopeless. And even now you are arguing that the majority case is that people are basically ruining themselves and others through this game and that without RL friends, one is bound to turn cynical. I don't disagree with that completely but I don't believe that the case here is anything but that of a vocal minority getting more airtime than the majority. Most of the time, people STILL play this game to actually play the game and only because they actually love it. The game is built in a way that sometimes it brings the worst out of each and everyone of us but there is no reason to lose faith over it. If you go in with a positive attitude, even dire things turn bright. I am not saying you should adapt a mentality where you refuse to acknowledge the problems, because that way you will never improve. What I am saying instead is to give credit where its due. Yes there are many problems, but there are also as many bright spots. You can and should make friends through DotA - friends that you wouldn't otherwise have made.
    I would agree with you if this were another genre of game. Also, your personality and expectation of the game will obviously change this. My stance is that the nature of the game coupled with the anonymous nature of the internet make for potentially abusive environments.

I would agree with you if this were another genre of game. Also, your personality and expectation of the game will obviously change this. My stance is that the nature of the game coupled with the anonymous nature of the internet make for potentially abusive environments.
    Potential for things to go wrong exists with even the best of things. There is also the potential to make lifelong friends and partake in a highly amusing activity to your heart's content. Or it can be a mix of both, as is (and should be; life is boring if everything always goes right) usually the case. My point is that you are underlining only the negatives and that's giving false impressions.

Basic Member
    This is beta community - skilled players are matchmaking with noobs or trolls.
    I'm waiting for the day when matchmaking will be something like in dotalicious. I'll play 100 games with hardcarry and pubstomp some noobs and then fully enjoy highest level matchmaking with my favourite heros like chen or ench.