Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Weather changes to reflect the intensity of battle clashes

[Suggestion] Weather changes to reflect the intensity of battle clashes

I've seen this on Far Cry 2 before where the weather changes from windy to storm whenever there are intense firefights between military and terrorists. I'm thinking that having this in Dota 2 will be amazing plus the amazing background sound effects to complement it.

Edit: The weather doesn't have to be obstructive. If having it in clashes is too much well maybe as the opposing team comes closer in destroying an Ancient will fit it just right, like a clear bright sunshine when Radiant is owning and approaching the Dire base while gloomy windy atmosphere for Dire when they enter the Radiant's camp

What do you think guys?
    Last edited by here_soon; 06-14-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Basic Member
    Weather changing based on player action is way too relative. will it be bad weather for enemy and good weather for me?

I think having a general weahter would be better. we already have day/night(already had) but it is actually intense visible and sounds. i think it would be really cool to have weather conditions in the game. like raining, snowing. all cosmetic.

In dota 1; you could change the weather by using the weather command; for example '-weather snow' would change the weather to snow. This command also worked for the colour of the river. What would happen when you changed the weather was that the weather only appeared on your end of the computer and not for anyone else's end. So everyone else would see the game normally; but you would have the weather effect. This meant that if you wanted it; you could have it but if you didn't want it; you didn't necessarily need to have it.
    However, for most people; dota is not a game for flashy graphics and it's more of a strategy game and the weather graphics made it hard for some people (me at least) in focusing in team fights and in last hitting and i at least did not use it.

I made a suggestion to Valve ages ago in the artwork section to add dynamic weather into Dota 2, as I know the Steam engine is perfectly capable of it (Left 4 Dead 2 had dynamic weather). Obviously they ignored the idea even though it could be easily done and if done correctly it wouldn't be a distraction and therefore wouldn't interfere with gameplay. I'm entirely certain they hate the idea otherwise they would have made at least some small amount of progress on it by now.

Regardless it would be really cool. As zigzagoon stated the original Dota had custom weather effects and map skins so this would easily tie in with the original, which I also stated in my suggestion as it was one of my favorite things to do back in the old Dota maps.

Well, Xanatos, we can only hope.

Nothing much to add to the suggestion but my +1.

-1 We don't need any more things to obstruct the gameplay. Things get pretty crowded when there's a team fight anyway, without adding unnecessary things.
    One world is much like another

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simplysh View Post
    -1 We don't need any more things to obstruct the gameplay. Things get pretty crowded when there's a team fight anyway, without adding unnecessary things.
    Not really an obstruction. Ofc when its raining it shouldn't rain like a maniac. it should be something like having small water pools in the ground with earth that gives the impression of water drops from rain just like walking on the river as circles give the impression that you are walking in water. also we do have background voices in the game like birds and such. all you need is some background lightning that is fade and distinctly different than Zeus skills.

Weather means nothing right now, as it doesn't bring anything crucial to the game, the game is still Closed Beta.
    Wait till the official release and give them suggestions there

Basic Member
    The point of a beta is to help improve the game derp.

sounds like more lags, no thx.