Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bots too difficult for casual learner

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    In particular, if you find them doing any specific thing that you think they shouldn't (denying towers is a good example), please post it here! I can also extend the ability lockout timers, which should make their skill usage much less frequent.
    i think the most problematic thing for noobs is the reaction time and the skill efficiency of bots.
    i am not sure about the lowest ai level in the current state, but the games, i played vs bots were marked by perfect chainstuns and instant nukes when dropping to a certain hp amount.
    it would be nice if there was a slight error margin for bots:
    - a bots reaction time is between n_min and n_max seconds delayed where n_min and n_max are 0 on the hardest difficulty and n_min is 3 and n_max is 5 for the lowest
    - a bots spell accuracy is slightly off. the accuracy is between p_min% and p_max%, where p_max and p_min are 100 for the hardest difficulty and p_min is 0 and p_max is 30 for the lowest (= almost no chainstunning, missing aoe stuns, etc).
    this doesnt mean, that on low difficulties bots run around like morons. their accuracy and reaction should be measured on every potential spellcast. so sometimes the bot has good reaction, sometimes he has bad reaction, sometimes he aims well, sometimes he aims badly.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    The AI in DotA 2 is indeed exceptionally coded, as an experienced LoL player who migrated just a day ago, i can already tell that the effort put into scripting these ai's are incredible.
    The only big problem as i can see so far is that the enemy team is extremely coordinated, going as far as to perfectly chain stuns/slows and jumping on your @ss with a tiny coming in while invisible and etc.
    This in itself is exceptional scripting, however, it becomes a problem as your own team of bots are relatively non-coordinated as compared to the opposing team. They generally wander the map and push 1/4 of the way before doing something else, and does not respond too well to coordination with the player.
    This as a result causes majority of the private bot games to be a 1v5, making it extremely hard for a new player to get into the game.
    Last edited by Lukiose; 06-30-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Basic Member
    Bots are too easy and stupid imo - new players won't learn anything from them except maybe lasthitting. Please give us OMGWTFBBQ difficulty for bots

Basic Member
    Also a problem with AI that the enemy for some reason is always smarter.

The team I am on always have terrible AI as the enemy just travels in groups and kills everyone.

My team doesn't seem to do that.

Other than that, they're fine.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by master2080 View Post
    Also a problem with AI that the enemy for some reason is always smarter.

The team I am on always have terrible AI as the enemy just travels in groups and kills everyone.

My team doesn't seem to do that.

Other than that, they're fine.
    ^ This, what i tried to say summarized in 4 lines

Basic Member
    That was replied to a little earlier. Mainly, the other team of bots generally works a lot better because all the bots know what all the other bots are doing. However, the bots on your team can't read your mind, so they have to muddle along somewhat.

There was a thread about this, but that's the gist of it. I've been playing 5 humans v 5 bots to get used to the game.

Basic Member
    I think bots are ok, one thing they seem to be very good at is comboing together. They seem to be able to calculate whether the player can escape, and combo well against a player that has dived too deep etc but I dont have a problem with this, combos are part of the game...

They have problems with Roshan (3 or 4 can stay idle in roshan pit for extended periods - perhaps they are waiting for all 5 team members, one of whom may be player and decided not to go there), and some take stupid routes into very dangerous areas, perhaps not evaluating threats correctly when retreating or roaming near opposing team - these would be two obvious faults.
    Last edited by Jace11; 07-01-2012 at 06:49 AM.