Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Online Layout Editor

Lightbulb Online Layout Editor

Hello together!

I want to share my new little project with you. It's an online layout editor for the hero picker.

Features:
    • Align hero portraits to a grid
    • Choose grid size to your taste
    • Different portrait sizes accordingly to the chosen grid
    • Generation and download of a valid txt-file for the Dota 2 Client (what sense would this tool make otherwise?)
    • Generation and download of a preview image of the designed layout to post in your favorite forum/twitter/whatever
    • Sharing your creation with others by simply copying the link from your browsers address bar, it contains all information of your layout, you can also bookmark your different layouts
    • Works (at least) in Firefox 14 and Internet Explorer 9 (I didn't see that coming)

Preview image example:

Bugs:
    • Works not in the browser integrated in Dota 2
    • Works not in Google Chrome (seems to be the same engine as Dota 2's browser)
    • Works for all resolutions with 16:9 aspect ratio, does not work correctly with other aspect ratios!

Known possible flaws:
    • Some buttons are currently evaluated with Javascript, so turn it on in your browser!

To do:
    • Make it work with most common browsers
    • Make it work for all resolutions/aspect ratios
    • Warn the user when not all heroes are placed on the grid/written to layout file, as the Dota 2 Client may react strangely
    • Beware users of using impossible grid settings which may end up in a completely grey hero grid
    • Save link to layout inside the generated txt-file for later editing

Planned features:
    • Allow other grid styles (e.g. arc grid)
    • Make it more dynamic by using more Javascript (currently the page reloads on every click)
    • Shorter links to created layouts
    • Change the way how heroes are selected for positioning (I know the list on the right is somewhat painful)
    • Sorting heroes by name/role/attack range/main attribute

Far future features:
    • A gallery where users can view, vote and download other users layouts
    • Host the generated preview images on my server (to get rid of free imagehosters)
    • Make it possible to import layouts generated by the game

Disclaimer:
    This piece of software is currently in beta stage! I put it together to the stage you currently see in one day. There may be severe bugs (although it is unlikely that it will harm your computer as it is only a webpage). The links to your designs mentioned above may change without notice and may invalidate your saved designs (I will try to avoid this, but I can't promise it).

Help:
    If you like what I'm doing, have any suggestions or bug reports please do not hesitate to drop me a PM or write directly to this thread!

And now the most important thing, the link to the website:

Thank you for reading!

BONUS:
    Direkt link to the layout shown above: -> Click me <-
    Last edited by Yan Nic; 06-23-2012 at 04:31 AM.

Basic Member
    Great work! Much better than the ingame one

Basic Member
    Great work!

When I change grid size it starts to bug. A complete grey screen. besides Im unable to change Grid size of hero icons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashtime View Post
    When I change grid size it starts to bug. A complete grey screen. besides Im unable to change Grid size of hero icons.
    This happens when you choose too many grid positions per row with a too big grid width. The math is as follows: The area is 960 pixels wide, when you choose let's say, 10 heroes per row they can be maximum 96 pixel wide each. If you choose more heroes or a higher width, the spacing between heroes becomes negative and you end up with a grey screen.

Anyway, the system should display an error message if the user attemps to use such settings. I'll put that on "to do".

Basic Member
    Iwould like a portrait size in between 1x1 and 2x2 at default gaps its some thing like 80 spots at 2x2 and 320+ at 1x1 for a game with 100 ish hero there needs to be some middle ground

Basic Member
    I love you

Quote Originally Posted by Reibus View Post
    Iwould like a portrait size in between 1x1 and 2x2 at default gaps its some thing like 80 spots at 2x2 and 320+ at 1x1 for a game with 100 ish hero there needs to be some middle ground
    If I got you right, you want to be able to choose a portrait size between the 1x1 and 2x2 settings. I suggest you increase the number of portraits per row from 40 to, let's say, 60 and decrease the hero width in pixels from 20 to 13. This way all possible grid positions get smaller and there will be more grid positions in total (goes up from 360 to 780). Then you can use the 2x2 size as default size with heroes you want to be bigger at 3x3 or 4x4 size.
    This also reduces the gap between the different hero sizes.

Click the following link to get the settings I suggest directly: http://dota-picker.dontclickthis.de/..._grid_width=13

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yan Nic View Post
    If I got you right, you want to be able to choose a portrait size between the 1x1 and 2x2 settings. I suggest you increase the number of portraits per row from 40 to, let's say, 60 and decrease the hero width in pixels from 20 to 13. This way all possible grid positions get smaller and there will be more grid positions in total (goes up from 360 to 780). Then you can use the 2x2 size as default size with heroes you want to be bigger at 3x3 or 4x4 size.
    This also reduces the gap between the different hero sizes.

Click the following link to get the settings I suggest directly: http://dota-picker.dontclickthis.de/..._grid_width=13
    Why didn't I think of that!

You sir are a genius thank you again.

i must say u are a god, at least a half-god =D

organized my heroes by hand so that they are sorted like a rainbow, but i ll retry it for sure with this awesoem toll =D