Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Minimap Placement

Basic Member

[Suggestion] Minimap Placement

Sup Dota2 testers

One of my minor problems with the Warcraft 3 engine was the placement of the minimap when playing on the Sentinel side. When I tried to run back to the base when being chased, I always spam-clicked the bottom left corner of my screen. It happened sometimes that I missclicked and clicked on the top right of the minimap, so my hero turned around and walked towards the Scourge base for a split second before I corrected it again. It made me die quite a few times, which were all unneeded deaths. So I really wished that I could move the minimap to the bottom right when playing Sentinel.

My point being is that I hope that VALVe implements an option to move the minimap to the right when playing Radiant (swapping the position of your items and the minimap, for example), so you won't die because you accidentally click the minimap.

Regards,
    Rivirland

Basic Member
    +1

Only as an option, don't implement as a must. Although, I wonder how the placement of the buildings would work.
    Last edited by FightFate; 11-07-2011 at 07:06 PM.
    I'm a DotA purist. Problem, mudblood?

Basic Member
    +1

Another answer is to have an option to disable movement by right clicking on the mini. Still allowing for the left click of TP Scrolls.

Basic Member
    ^ +1 to ac1idz comment, they did this in HoN, no point in makign the minimap movable, when disabling right mouse click listeners unless you have a modifier key held will solve this problem ( have to ctrl/alt click )

That's a common problem. I agree. I'd love to have a customizable HUD like in the K2 Engine.
    Source Engine is even more powerful so that wouldn't be a problem.

Basic Member
    no to the customizable hud, the game is balanced around having a limited view of the play area. if you let people change the hud, they can minimalize the hud on screen and see mroe of the playing field, which means the balance of skill shots is completely changed, and then they have to re-tune the game balance, and we end up with HoN 3.0

If you have feedback on the hud, that is fine. But Let valve make the decision, finalize what everyones hud will be, and standardize that across all clients. Only way a competitive game can stay an e-sport.

Ever notice that the HoN tournaments, players aren't allowed their custom mods?

Well, but that advantage of having more sight is already there. Compare 1280x1024 to 1080p widescreen monitors. You'll see that the widescreen player got a big advantage over the normal 1024 4:3 monitor.
    I doubt that Valve will say anything about customizable HUD's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Team
    But there’ll be no restrictions on what players can do with it – they can release screenshots, make movies, shoutcast matches, write guides, publicly make fun of our HUD
    You can change the HUD at the moment with console commands, such as: dota_sf_hud_actionpanel 0
    Or any other panel like inventory or quickstats.
    Source is very modfriendly so I think that it'd be legal to customize the HUD as long as it's not considered as cheating (e.g. mana bars).

There's a mod for HoN that disables right clicking the minimap unless the cursor has been over the minimap for x amount of time. So if you bring the mouse over the map and right click instantly, it won't register. It will only register if you have the cursor there for over the amount of time you set.

Basic Member
    ^ i like the timeout idea. if you want to click on the minimap, you gotta hold your mouse there for something like 2 seconds, very significant' amount of time when just trying to juke, but insignificant if you are just trying to move to the lane, but dont want to move your camera.

Basic Member

Minimap misclicks that gets your killed when you're playing Radiant

I think everybody knows what I'm talking about : When you're playing radiant (can't happen to you if you're playing Dire), and you frantically click and the bottom left side of your screen to make your hero back and escape chasers, if you click too much and too frantically, sometime you're so close from the minimap that you click on it, and it so happens that the closest position on the minimap when you're clicking on the bottom left of your screen as a retreating Radiant player is ... ? The upper right pixel of the map, also know as : THE DIRE BASE. Gets you killed everytime.

There should be some activable option, that allows specificaly radiant players to nullify clicks on the most upper right pixels of the minimap, when the game detect frantic series of clicks in the lower left part of the viewable screen.

It would NEVER cause any problem of gameplay whatsoever (Please find me a situation where a RADIANT guy who just clicked 10 time in a row on the lower left part of his screen REALLY needs to suddently go to the upper right pixel corner of the Dire base (?!), far up behind the fountain, inside what is actualy nothing except TREES !) and it would save the life of HUNDRED OF THOUSANDS of players along the years.

I don't think you could find anybody who would disagree with that for any VALID reason.