Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 421

Thread: Nickname-spoofing

  1. #11
    Basic Member nimeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    39
    You can always check who's who looking at their profiles when you start a game with anyone.

    This never been an issue in any of the other Valve games, in particular TF2.

    I've been playing it since 2009 and never saw this happening.

    It just doesn't make sense since you're still able to tell if he's the real one or not.

  2. #12
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    391
    Too some degree I can understand what you mean. Some guy on the European servers uses the nickname IceFrog, and it clearly isn't him.

    But then again, if someone has been called IceFrog since he was a little kid, then why not let him be called IceFrog?

    I don't really care if someone uses my nickname or anybody elses, but what I do care about is if people fake nicks IceFrog and go around and say: "OMG U NOOB, I ban u from game, Im admin!"
    Aka NamDohtem on PlayDotA.com
    Danish DOTA2 Steam Community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DOTA2DK

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    268
    This is an issue I don't like. I was supposely playing beta 2 months before I got here and had to make an anouncement on my site I wasn't playing.

    Now I'm still getting spoofed.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,296
    Quote Originally Posted by nimeco View Post
    I've been playing it since 2009 and never saw this happening.
    But it's happening here already very extensive...

    I have no doubt that people will copy my name if they don't like me (or even if they). And I'm not paranoid...

    From what I see on Japanese Garena Rooms, I can be sure this will happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladar View Post
    Shhhh, we got him to stop playing Dota2.
    I see, already some haters here.
    Last edited by Typhox; 10-30-2011 at 01:31 PM.

  5. #15
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    756
    Eventually your profile will be tied to you Steam Community page, or Dota2 community page (You'll probably be able to click anyone name and go to it like you can for reporting.) At which point you can put as much identifying information as you like. You'll probably be able to tie it into your Youtube and Facebook account. Steam as a whole has a non unique name policy which is wonderful and changing it now would meaning changing every game that uses Steamworks.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladar View Post
    Eventually your profile will be tied to you Steam Community page, or Dota2 community page (You'll probably be able to click anyone name and go to it like you can for reporting.) At which point you can put as much identifying information as you like. You'll probably be able to tie it into your Youtube and Facebook account.
    But all that would not even scratch this issue. The problem is, that other people who don't look if he's really person XY just judge you already.

  7. #17
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    79
    Typhox, no one cares if you play Dota 2 or not. I keep seeing you say you aren't going to play it because of X or Y, but again, no one cares. You aren't going to get your way by acting like a child.

  8. #18
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    169
    You can report profiles if you want. Just visit their community profile and click "Report Violation". People do that a lot in the TF2 trading community when there are scammers impersonating well-known traders. It seemed to be effective, but the impersonating accounts may have just been disabled for other reasons. Steam support never gets back to you when you report someone, but I imagine they at least read the reports.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,296
    Quote Originally Posted by knowitall View Post
    Typhox, no one cares if you play Dota 2 or not. I keep seeing you say you aren't going to play it because of X or Y, but again, no one cares. You aren't going to get your way by acting like a child.
    Besides that your comment is Off-Topic and should be considered as Flaming.
    I say it for two features. Name spoofing and forfeiting. I say it because people seem to not understand how important/far-reaching these features are. I say it how I see it. For me, an important part of the game - if not the most important - is to get some reputation in the community. I see Name-Spoofing as my worest enemy on this way, because everyone who does not like me - such as totalfrenzy for example (or the other ones in my signature) - could just join games under my nick and then do shit. I consider this as Identity Theft. The fact that my Nick is so unique makes it only worse, because other people who want to harm me can just use my name and already have a high authenticity towards beginners.

    On Tobi Wan's Lifestream I've just seen that people really thought that they played with IceFrog (don't remember if it was Tobi or his friend/colleague).

    Quote Originally Posted by InvaderAmoto View Post
    You can report profiles if you want. Just visit their community profile and click "Report Violation". People do that a lot in the TF2 trading community when there are scammers impersonating well-known traders. It seemed to be effective, but the impersonating accounts may have just been disabled for other reasons. Steam support never gets back to you when you report someone, but I imagine they at least read the reports.
    I will do that and I will carefully watch if it works or not. Thank you for your reply.

  10. #20
    Basic Member Chrys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    336
    I for one love being able to change nicknames at will, I'd get bored of playing as "Chrys" all the time, sometimes I want to be "Mr.TastySandwich". At any rate, name spoofing isn't an issue since your steam profile is easily accessible and from there you can verify if someone is the real deal or not.

    I mean, I don't really care if someone plays as Chrys or not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •