Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Nickname-spoofing

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    I consider this as Identity Theft.
    Dang bro identity theft via steam name this is getting serious.

Anyone know where I can get some solid insurance for my steam user name?

Basic Member
    to be honest i agree with Typhox here, having unlimited names, just leads to smurfing. Checking someones prior aliases does absolutely nothing. Fuckin Navi.Lightofheaven could be in one of my games, under god knows what name and i'd have no fuckin idea, because anyone can have that name at any point in time, i can have that name right now if i want. Every other steam game had server admins, whoever hosted the match, or had privileges on the server, if people started using names of people they shouldn't, they would get banned, but we dont have that feature here.

Typhox,

There are way too many people on steam to have unique names, but you know what's great about steam? Everyone has unique Steam ID's. If you really want to check if someone you're playing with has the same name as someone else, you can google their ID's or have a quick look at their community page.

No matter how much you want this to happen, Steam isnt going to change just for Dota2. The closest thing I can think of is having a separate naming system within the game, but this is ridiculous.

I believe all the steamworks games use community name as ingame name, and it hasn't been that much trouble at all.

EDIT: Just realised I'm under Typhox's sig as hater and ignored :S lol...?
    Last edited by totalfrenzy; 10-31-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Yeah I guess the "status" command in console still gives you steam id from every player in game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexi View Post
    Yeah I guess the "status" command in console still gives you steam id from every player in game.
    That does not change anything -.-
    Most players simply won't look up whether they are really playing against the one they are thinking they're playing against. Because it's usually not their problem, but the problem of the one whose nickname got abused.

While agree with being able to change nick easily, I don't like how it leads to name-spoofing and makes recognizing known people harder.

For example, I'd be pretty angry and sad if someone uses my nick to trash talk people, feed etc. Cause then most people (not all) in that game will think this "CvP" is a noobshit.
    Then I might get placed in a game with some of them and I will be their first target to vent without doing anything. Then I might even have to spend time making them understand that "CvP" was not me.

Another example is as typhox already said, some guy playing with ice's name. Some guys used to play using dendi's name. and he was really a newbie. The result? People joins that match to watch dendi play and then they get angry once they realize this is not the "real" dendi.

These issues need to be resolved in some manner. Either by different name system in dota2 or doing something that clearly points out who is who. Going to steam profile to check someone is too much work. And it does not provide any authenticity unless you already know that guy pretty well.

Another solution could be paid nicks. With a certain amount of payment, one can buy a nick from the shop and no one else can use that nick in dota2.
    if someone has the same nick (say "CvP") in steam and joins dota2, it appears with a suffix..like CvP(1), CvP(2) and so on.

On the other hand, I will be able to use any name. Even when I am not using "CvP", no one else can use "CvP.
    If I use say.."Rexi" but "Rexi" already bought that name, I will be shown as "Rexi(1)".

Having the right price for this feature would generate good amount of money + people who don't like to be spoofed, will be happy.
    Last edited by CvP; 10-31-2011 at 02:27 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    That's bad. Then I won't play Dota 2.
    thank god, everything you say is lunacy incarnate.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsdogsdogs View Post
    thank god, everything you say is lunacy incarnate.
    Can you please go back to the dark place where you came from?
    I see you just came here to insult me, or did you want to sabotage my thread?

Edited the first post to make it more clear.

Basic Member
    Unfortunately you have no rights over your IGN, and there would be plenty of other ways for people to defame you if it was changed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz View Post
    Unfortunately you have no rights over your IGN, and there would be plenty of other ways for people to defame you if it was changed.
    Tell me please!