Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Nickname-spoofing

Banned

Nickname-spoofing

Currently you can just change your name all the time, and there are players who change theirs every day.
    While I am okay with this, I find it not okay when players use it to spoof other players.
    Especially when I use the Watch-Function and try to find some players from NaVi or Ehome, I only find spoofing people on the first few pages. It gets hard to find the real players.
    On another side, I also imagine people using my Nick, then playing bad and thus cause me a bad reputation.
    For me, this is a really serious issue, and currently I'm looking for ways how to deal with it and suggestions how to prevent this from happening.
    Ideas?

Edit:
    Yes, I know that you can lookup someone's steam name and that you could do that for every 9 other people before the game starts.
    But seriously who is currently doing that? Who will do that? If it was a problem of the one who got fooled, people would do this.
    But what I'm talking about is, that it's a problem for the one whose name got taken/stealed. Even worse, that person has no chance - as long as the spoofing person is with that name logged into the game - to get his name back!

Edit2:
    For the people who did not understand yet: I'm no way against being able to change your name! For me it's an important thing that you can change your name as often as you like and tbh I would like more anonymity in the game as well. I'm just looking for a solution that also prevents abuse/spoofing. There are some good ones in this thread.

Solution
    One way to partially solve this would be to mark player names who changed their nick within the last 2 weeks (for example adding an icon or recolouring their nick or something like that). That should at least be doable quite easy with current Steam and should not create any problems. This way, everyone could see if a player "just" got his nick, so if you're curious, you can click him to watch his Steam profile - or not.
    Last edited by Typhox; 01-05-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Basic Member
    @Typhox

Valve should start organizing the replays by Steam ID's instead of name. That way you can search for a particular user instead of the text reference. This would also solve the problem of people of spoofing other players as you could show all their past nicknames as well.

Since Steam Id's are unique you could bring up a list of player you ever played against. You could also put notes on these Steam ID's that could be stored in the cloud for future reference. I.E. "This player is difficult to play with." or "I liked this guy." You'd also be able to find replays by player's steam community profile and or their webpage

Banned
    You could also just prevent people to have the same name on Steam...
    That would be already a very big step I think...
    I thought about showing the steam ID, but the thing is, it has to be shown very clearly, which would make the other nicknames kind of unneeded. If you for example just show them on a specific setting, many players wouldn't do that and thus someone would still be able to pretend to be me, then play bad, and thus leaving a bad reputation for me...
    Last edited by Typhox; 10-30-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Basic Member
    You get Nickname fighting if you make them unique. Steam has so many users with the same name, you'd end up with 125 shadows fight over who gets to be Shadow.

Banned
    And there are soo many other plattforms on which every name has to be unique. Even your Steam ID has to be unique.

Basic Member
    Steam has been around since 2003 and they've never done this. Why would they do it for Dota 2?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    Steam has been around since 2003 and they've never done this. Why would they do it for Dota 2?
    That's bad. Then I won't play Dota 2.

Edit: Since a lot of people misunderstood this comment...
    This has been written way BEFORE they implemented the Profile page, so it wasn't really possible to check other players identity other than by Steam Profile. But if someone calls himself Typhox and impersonates me, almost nobody would be able to know that he's not Typhox, because noone knows that his Steam ID is not mine.
    Last edited by Typhox; 08-14-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Basic Member
    Because impersonating someone else and causing them a bad reputation has a much larger scale in Dota 2 than every other Valve game? Especially when you start impersonating pro players. Maybe you should be allowed to change your nickname all you want but your ID can be easier to find and so you can see if this is the real pro player or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    Do you really believe someone will copy your username? Your name is quite unique.

Basic Member
    @eNTe_eXe

Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    Shhhh, we got him to stop playing Dota2.