Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rubick Lore

Rubick Lore

Face the Magus.

"Any mage can cast a spell or two, and a few may even study long enough to become a wizard, but only the most talented are allowed to be recognized as a Magus. Yet as with any sorcerer’s circle, a sense of community has never guaranteed competitive courtesy.

Already a renowned duelist and scholar of the grander world of sorcery, it had never occurred to Rubick that he might perhaps be Magus material until he was in the midst of his seventh assassination attempt. As he casually tossed the twelfth of a string of would-be killers from a high balcony, it dawned on him how utterly unimaginative the attempts on his life had become. Where once the interruption of a fingersnap or firehand might have put a cheerful spring in his step, it had all become so very predictable. He craved greater competition. Therefore, donning his combat mask, he did what any wizard seeking to ascend the ranks would do: he announced his intention kill a Magus.

Rubick quickly discovered that to threaten one Magus is to threaten them all, and they fell upon him in force. Each antagonist's spell was an unstoppable torrent of energy, and every attack a calculated killing blow. But very soon something occurred that Rubick's foes found unexpected: their arts appeared to turn against them. Inside the magic maelstrom, Rubick chuckled, subtly reading and replicating the powers of one in order to cast it against another, sowing chaos among those who had allied against him. Accusations of betrayal began to fly, and soon the sorcerers turned one upon another without suspecting who was behind their undoing.

When the battle finally drew to a close, all were singed and frozen, soaked and cut and pierced. More than one lay dead by an ally’s craft. Rubick stood apart, sore but delighted in the week’s festivities. None had the strength to argue when he presented his petition of assumption to the Hidden Council, and the Insubstantial Eleven agreed as one to grant him the title of Grand Magus."
    Last edited by 1337_n00b; 06-20-2012 at 08:41 AM.
    Heroes this user should seriously reconsider ever picking again.

THE DOTA 2 LORE MEGATHREAD IS TO BE UPDATED BY JULY 5TH

Visit the Dota 2 Lore Megathread. Renovation ongoing.

None of it mentioned him being the son of Aghanim's

Yet he mentioned his father when he purchased Scepter.

Great lore though, although he sounds evil IMO despite being Radiant

Basic Member
    rival kill/meet lines to invoker:

Invoker now, eh? No longer the Arsenal Magus?
    Tsk tsk tsk tsk, poor show Arsenal Magus.
    Even the Arsenal Magus falls before my magic.

cool.

All this is extremely puzzling. His lore doesn't mention anything about him wanting to be tested - which is one of his themes in the voice responses; doesn't say anything about Aghanim who still seems to be his father; and doesn't really give him a reason to wander across the lands, as he implies that he might visit the Ultimyr Academy or the jungles of Yama Raskav next. And still I should say that this is a good, formidable chunk of lore which suits the character and explains the way he works.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337_n00b View Post
    puzzling
    It's a letter away...

Huge lore, perfect in the regular sense: Story behind the title, well defined personality and abilities - but once again incredibly few insight on the character's reasoning for battle.

He has a huge amount of Ultimate lines, and I can't for the life of me trigger several of them, and I have been playing around with black holes a whole lot (His Doom line is quite disappointing on this account of being an unique response, go hear it, you'll see why)

On Invoker, this is just perfect! Invoker had a title he stopped using, which is more than to be expected. Guy's old, civilizations come and go and Magi congregate. Why wouldn't he go around boost his ego on every one he felt was becoming big enough of a deal? Then drop the title given by said civilization when he would get tired of it. After so many, any particular instance just isn't that big of a deal to him, a few decades and thousands of miles away he could just find some new glory to wanker himself with. Proves they actually bothered, to think these lines through

But come on, I want to bring the Rubick's Nature. WHAT THE HELL IS HE?
    The way I see it, he treats Invoker by that title because it's the title he learned of Invoker by. If this has any indication of comparative age, it's that Rubick is younger (Conclusion: It's freaking nothing). Also, he still remembers his father, who seems to have been immensely important since he developed an item capable of improving just about ANYONE's magical abilities. Truthfully, that all tells us just about nothing about his age other than he's old enough for his father's work to be recognized by even the Shopkeepers.
    But his appearance. I wouldn't even be interested otherwise. Sure fine, he's wearing his dueling mask. Other than that, why is his body and staff made of green gel? Is he human? Is that part of his powers? Is it giving him immortality? Why is his lore so outstanding for a "human" yet he looks like freaking Spawn?
    He shares the portrait background with enigma, so it's like we're being told: You'll never know.

He looks amazing but im really sad about his portrait, the textures look pixelated and most of the work seems plain/WIP. I hope they improve them dramatically.
    What catches my atention the most is the green lines on his 'turtle neck? They need more or better placed polygons?.
    Excuse me, im not really knoledgeable when it comes to 3D modeling.

Basic Member
    I know Radiant vs. Dire isn't the same as Good vs. Evil, but this lore does seem to paint Rubick as the more ambitious and ruthless Dire hero, rather than a stalwart or honourable Radiant hero. It's almost like Sven, but without the motivation.

Basic Member
    His Lore makes him sound young and ambitious, however his dialogue and trembling motions seems to make him to be very old. He's still Agahnim's son apparently.

This lore seems only half finished and yet it IS quite long.

He has a huge amount of Ultimate lines, and I can't for the life of me trigger several of them, and I have been playing around with black holes a whole lot (His Doom line is quite disappointing on this account of being an unique response, go hear it, you'll see why)
    His talker is not up to date, sadly enough, he doesn't use any of his spell lines. He might be updated soon enough, however, there were cases before, see Shadow Demon.

Once yet again, I would say that he is not human. Something tells me that it is not just a mask on him, but this is what his face looks like. And then there's one more thing left...

Why is he twitching as if he was made of jelly?..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSandvich View Post
    None of it mentioned him being the son of Aghanim's

Yet he mentioned his father when he purchased Scepter.

Great lore though, although he sounds evil IMO despite being Radiant
    in his item response he said http://www.dota2wiki.com/images/3/3c...scepter_02.mp3

he is still Aghanim's Son