Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: DotA2 Tournaments PayPerView

Basic Member
    Yes, i will pay to watch tournaments IF they fix the issues there were last time.

I think a centralized information AND streaming source within the game client is one of the most brilliant things I've heard, as this will make it easier for everyone to be involved without having to actively search for themselves. This is the kind of thing that raises awareness of competetive play. But then I read it's pay-per-view. That's horrible, suddenly it's not a way to spread DotA, it's a premium feature. I, for one, will not pay as I'm sure many people who would otherwise use it simply will not. It's not a matter of ideology, it's that I'm not willing to pay for things I can have for free and in a game where I'm used to things being free - and I'm pretty sure that's a big chunk of dota players. It may not be the ones who actively speak in the forums or give feedback, but it's there and it outnumbers the rest, I think.

tl;dr: Would be awesome if free.

I will never pay to watch tournaments. I understand the reasoning behind it, and the depth of my disappointment in this decision will depend on the price they ask, but I just don't understand why anyone would pay for the ability to control the camera.
    I like leaning back and not having to do anything but watch, so the only thing that I would get for my money would be a high video quality, which usually isn't an issue with the decent streams anyway. Can't see the value I get for my money.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not the kind of guy to spend money on things like cosmetics (although I will, just to support the game) but at least I completely understand why other people would do it, to customize your character to have a unique look, great. But to pay to watch a tournament match in-game? That really seems quite absurd to me. I'm curious what the community response will be, I'd be inclined to think that most people will share my opinion, but I don't know.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiluminati View Post
    I will never pay to watch tournaments. I understand the reasoning behind it, and the depth of my disappointment in this decision will depend on the price they ask, but I just don't understand why anyone would pay for the ability to control the camera.
    I like leaning back and not having to do anything but watch, so the only thing that I would get for my money would be a high video quality, which usually isn't an issue with the decent streams anyway. Can't see the value I get for my money.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not the kind of guy to spend money on things like cosmetics (although I will, just to support the game) but at least I completely understand why other people would do it, to customize your character to have a unique look, great. But to pay to watch a tournament match in-game? That really seems quite absurd to me. I'm curious what the community response will be, I'd be inclined to think that most people will share my opinion, but I don't know.
    People will do it for several reasons. For example if you remember a game when Puppey popularized jungling Pudge, the streamer (Godz I think) didn't focus on him while I want to watch how he did it specifically. Like how many times he used salve, how many times he bottlecrow, or when he started killing the stack. The feature is good for people who want to learn specific tricks and want to have a control to the game while still having audio support from casters.

I think the idea is not bad, but the pricing really concerns me as it wouldn't be popular in Asian countries if the price is like $5 (in Europe/NA/AU you can compare it to a sandwich, but it is comparable to a day meal or even more in many Asian countries)

Yes, to learn from high level plays/players, that's about the only valid reason I could understand. And even so I think the percentage of players willing to pay for this will be very small. Learning the game (even specific executions on a high level) is not enough reason for me to open my wallet, as these kind of things usually get out in the open for free, in replays (so I suspect these files will be protected somehow to only be available to paying customers?), guides or Youtube-clips. Getting some pricing details for watching The Defense would help, as that is the first tournament where they will test this I believe?

Basic Member
    All of you are actually paying to watch tournaments. On joindota you are watching ad's near stream window, which works towards joindota wallet, you are just doing it without losing any cash, but you still make them earn.
    Thats why probably Valve wants to charge for that, because if everyone will end-up watching ingame, the number of stream watchers will decrease, thus number of ad watcher will decrase aswel.
    But its still too expensive. Remeber you have alot of russian players out here and other eastern europe countries (like Poland where i live for example) and for most of us the 4 euro charge to actually watch something with low quality sound is pretty bad idea.
    I think Valve should make it non-profit and charge for example like 1 euro for that, 100% of income goes to tournament host, or just make it adjustable for tournament host (but we will end up having tournament for 5 euro without any other stream source available, because some of companies just cant understand that you can actually get more if you charge less).
    Tbh if i have to pay 4 euro to watch tournament i would like to buy 2 keys to open 2 chests, and im really big fan of competitive play, but ill watch it on stream.

Other idea is to put some custom items (lets say Defense 2 set) for any hero, and add tournament for it, charge it for 2-3 euro then adding possibility of watching tournament as additional bonus for that who bought set.

tl;dr

0-1 euro at most
    2-3 euro if items included
    fix sound quality

I agree, if they can offer something extra with it, a service or an in-game product, that would probably convince more people.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiluminati View Post
    Yes, to learn from high level plays/players, that's about the only valid reason I could understand. And even so I think the percentage of players willing to pay for this will be very small. Learning the game (even specific executions on a high level) is not enough reason for me to open my wallet, as these kind of things usually get out in the open for free, in replays (so I suspect these files will be protected somehow to only be available to paying customers?), guides or Youtube-clips. Getting some pricing details for watching The Defense would help, as that is the first tournament where they will test this I believe?
    Yes, I had said: I'm concerned about the pricing. It wouldn't be popular in Asian countries, so I think more than half Dota fans wouldn't use this feature. Even in EU/NA/AU where the price (I assume around $5) is comparable to a sandwich, there are still people who don't want to spend money for watching matches. I'd say it won't be a popular feature, but we still need to see the results after The Defense before we can talk about this more.

The bright side of this feature, it wouldn't hurt web-based streaming as some people would still prefer free entertainment. As Isthore said, it would hurt them if Valve make this feature free.

Basic Member
    In regards to it hurting streamers if it were free; for the international qualifiers I would only watch games on a webstream for 3 key reasons,
    1. The games were laggy and none of the animations were in time
    2. The sound quality was poor
    3. A stream is much easier to go autopilot in, just have it in the background while working on something else, easily adjustable pausable etc.

I suspect that valve may be charging for the service in order to limit the strain on the servers (which obviously couldn't cope) and it may be required in order to up the quality, pricing just being the most effective method of reducing the potential audience.

As long as people who haven't bought the paytoview option can watch the replays _after_ the tournament is over, i honestly dont mind. Keeping the replays for payers only though, now that would get me mad.