Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DotA2 Tournaments PayPerView

Basic Member
    Let me start by saying that I'm very pleased with how Valve is making it possible for players to support the tournaments, leading to more and more of them being available. However, I feel that having the only option available being pay for entry isn't going to be appealing enough to a wide audience, especially when free stream/VoD alternatives exist. I'd really like to see some sort of availability, where you can have free access to the games. There are a few ways I can think of where this would be possible, the first being a 30 second advertisement that plays before the game starts. The second option could be to make the vods available for free, but only after a certain amount of time, possibly discluding the finals and semifinals. In both of these ways there would still be incentive to pay for the pass, but there would be entry level availability that could make watching tournaments more appealing to the casual player, which could lead to future passes being bought from people who weren't previously interested.

Basic Member
    Well...I like what Valve is doing with DotA and the fact that it will be free. But having to pay for watching tournaments is not a good idea. Maybe try to add some ads in there but it should be free and also an option if you want ad free then pay a price for it, but it should be free, and I guess you can make some money also from the ads..

Basic Member
    I would call that a wrong step in the right direction. One of the key features of dota 2 is supposed to be spectating. You can watch any game any time, whether it would be viewing new hero in action, watching your friend playing or analysing a high-skilled competitive game. Limiting this is equal to limiting any other key feature. Possible, but destructive, and splitting the player base. For example, you can restrict the access to all the heroes, and we have seen a plenty of dota-like games to do so, and still be somewhat successful, but that is meant to be wrong.
    So, is it a good idea to support the competitive gaming by money and give a chance for regular players to do so, if they want to? Yes, definetely. Is this a nice idea to make any random player pay to watch the tournaments inside the game? No. I believe it would hurt the tournaments more, than it would help, as, despite some profit the tournament organisators will have, the pay-to-wacth feature will surely deacrease the popularity of the tournaments, even if the price is quite small. Yeah, there are still streams and vods, but, come on, it is much cooler to watch it from the inside of the game, you can see all the players actions, all the casters actions, and, most importantly, you decide it for yourself, what to watch and how to do it. Concerning the replays, the autospeed feature is again much better than wathcing the vod, when you might not know, when the best moments of the game happened.
    I am a huge fan of dota and its competitive gaming, but I feel that one of the best features of the game is not affordable now, which makes me sad. I am just not okay with it.
    What do I suggest? The system of supporting needs a slight, but a very useful change. The in-game spectating should remain free for everyone. However, you may still support the tournaments you like through the dota 2 store. This would be similar to the map stamps system in Team Fortress 2. You like the map, you purchase a stamp, you support the creator, and you are provided with extra feature (such as a hat with unique effect) on that map. In dota 2 you may get some extra chance for drop, if you are spectating a game from a tournament you donated, or even some kind of betting system may be implemented. If you donate a tournament, you recieve a possibility to bet any of your items on the team you think will win. If they do so, you recieve one more extra item, if they lose your item is lost (there may be some slight chances, that you don't lose your item, or you recieve an item of rarer quality for the right bet).
    I hope that you'll read this Valve, and won't hurt dota competitve gaming by the doings that were meant to be good.

Basic Member
    I would not pay at all to watch a tournament, since when you start to charge things like this certainly there will be free ways to watch it, be it a live stream a youtube video or even a torrent download, ask a friend to give me the replay file...
    If all that fails i'll just simply play some dota in the match time, but i will never pay to watch a dota match no matter how pro it is.
    I think its a step in a completely wrong direction although with good intentions, but it does need a lot of work top change it.
    I think a better solution would be in some map points, like near towers or in the base , a team would be able do define a 'sponsor logo' that would be displayed in the map, making some advertise and increasing the sponsors to pro dota teams.
    Selling tickets (the way the international does) would be nice also,but i know most of the tournaments are online.
    Or maybe a different solution, IF u pay (u don't have to) you will get a tournament exclusive item(s) that will never again be available for anyone else, and at the end of every match X paying spectators will get (random) item drops (just like those items that give other players items)
    I think it is a way more viable solution.

Please no pay to watch tournament game. Think of something else if you want to support the tournament makers, even ads is fine. Isn't this a free game with only payable cosmetics? So why should I pay to use a feature of the game?

What is even worse is not being able to watch replays after if you have not paid. In Warcraft 3 you could just download the replays on GosuGamers and watch ingame. DOTA 2 is supposed to be an improvement over WC3 DOTA, replays should be free
    Last edited by noobestupido; 06-20-2012 at 06:47 AM.

Just watch it on twitch if you want to watch it for free, it's optional people

If you want some good service and wanted to support Valve, the organizers, and your favorite teams

then you could help them by buying the tournament pay per view and enjoy the live coverage without restrictions
    Last edited by Kaho; 06-20-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaho View Post
    Just watch it on twitch if you want to watch it for free, it's optional people

If you want some good service and wanted to support Valve, the organizers, and your favorite teams

then you could help them by buying the tournament pay per view and enjoy the live coverage without restrictions
    Watching it in streams does not give you the freedom to look anywhere in the map, or check units' stats as you wish.

I can understand the price on live tournaments, but why does it have to be on replays as well? Why can't I just download the replays of finished tournaments just like I can with any other matches?

Basic Member
    This is the first significant step back from WC3 to Dota 2. A lot of really good players learned to play well by watching professional players replays for free. Now they will have to pay for it. Players can still watch streams but, not only it's not the same watching a replay than a stream, it's not thanks to Valve that they are able to do this since the only thing they are doing is not preventing spectators to be able to broadcast, so technically, the game doesn't provide any direct support for players to be able to watch professional games without them paying for it. It doesn't matter who you are supporting when you are paying, they are forcing you to pay, there might not be another option. I still don't know if those professional players will be able to upload their replays, but I really hope they are. It's a shame there's a decision like this among all the others, i really liked the way Valve was managing this, I hope they're desperate to get money from the game, cause if not, this really doesn't worth it.

Basic Member
    I love it that Valve implemented this feature. I was searching for a way to get my hands on pro players' replays or live plays inside dota, so that I could analyze it. This is a great way to do so and I am willing to pay for it.
    Hopefully valve will also implement a way to buy a monthly subscription to all tournaments, I would be interested .

Basic Member
    I will never pay for watching live streams neither replays !!!