Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: [SUGGESTION] Hon/DotA-Names for search

Basic Member
    ill never understand why some of you insist on making the game less accessible to new players out of some sense that it MUST be excessively difficult because that's what the game is ABOUT

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Womb Raider View Post
    ill never understand why some of you insist on making the game less accessible to new players out of some sense that it MUST be excessively difficult because that's what the game is ABOUT
    How is not creating a doormat for HoN players inaccessibility to new players? Is it not your job to learn the DotA names as part of the transition from some other game? Should we include HoN names in parenthesis next to hero names aswell?

Just lose the habit. It's not a big deal. HoN did it because they shamelessly ripped their entire game's foundation off of DotA. This is a different beast.

Basic Member
    im wondering if half of you even understand what the OP was asking for

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Well, if this is implemented, then we should also take item names from other similar games like LoL and maybe more. I guess it's okay just searching with the Dota names.
    You can't do the same with LoL since it's a far different game.
    But you can find equivalents for all HoN items.

Why not?

I don't support, although I played a lot of HoN.
    Even in HoN i search the items by their name in DotA.

I don't like the idea personally but if there is no copyright issues, then t-up.

Disagreed. I played HoN and it was a PITA to use those names. I wish I'd never learn the HoN terms.
    Besides: Think about the communication. "I got my Portal Key now" - "Your WHAT?"

Basic Member
    It will at least take em 50 to 100 games to get used to all the items. Why would the not type "portal key" and buy a "Dagger". Of course only the Dota2-name is shown and over time they will learn it. The pro on this is: When HoN-players are allowed to find the items they want, they get into Dota2 faster and they wont feed 24/7 with stupid itembuilds. And dont come up with suggested items: this is bullshit till now.

And, a point nobody wants to comment: bkb for black king bar. Of course, i could just click through the menue or I type bkb and i find bkb. Its not a big deal, nobody of you would ever recognize it, because you dont use it. But ppl who prefer this over other ways to buy items will like it. Another thing nobody wants to comment: Ironwood Branch is not Ironwood Branch anymore. And there are some items that I do not buy often and I dont know their new name. I'm gonna die and i want to finish item - no idea how its called.

And to point that out again: I pretty much have no connection to HoN and i believe DotA is the far better game, still I stopped whining about HoN being a clone long ago. Dunno how ppl can be that childish. Dota2 is not only for you, it should bring all "MOBA" (i hate that word as well) communities together. You wont see the LoL- and HoN-players, if you like to think of em as lower beings, because they of course wont make it into a high MM-rating. So why dont you agree on making DotA as easy to learn as possible so that everybody can enjoy the game -> community grows -> HoN gone -> all happy.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by warlord_7 View Post
    Disagreed. I played HoN and it was a PITA to use those names. I wish I'd never learn the HoN terms.
    Besides: Think about the communication. "I got my Portal Key now" - "Your WHAT?"
    You never had to learn those terms, because you could just search for the DotA-items. But after buying it several times you will get used to the name and from then on know the DotA and the HoN-term. It will be the other way round with my suggestion.

Basic Member
    I don't get why this is getting such negative feedback. I think it's a great idea to help people come over from HoN, it's not like they are changing the actual names for everyone else. Whether some people like it or not, many players will be coming from HoN and there are equivalent items HoN <-> DotA. It's as if you guys don't want a bigger community, video games gotta be an exclusive club bro.