Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hate Against Foreign Tongue's A solution?

Hate Against Foreign Tongue's A solution?

We've all seen those threads about, F*cking bad russians on Europe west servers, or the Crappy Brazil's on the US Servers ETC, the Chinese blaming the Indians? The thought on it's own is bad. So looking in the problem and breaking it down to find a solution.

In most cases it's just because people are having troubles with the communication. And for a game where you can't win without a team communication is vital. When a team is failing, a person has troubles admitting that it's his mistake or that he takes part in it in general. They prefer to blame others, preferable a stranger since that won't hurt their relations with their friends and the like. So who better to blame than the guy who doesn't understand what you're saying. So problem solved for that game but the next game another foreigner will be blamed for the same issue. The user hardly recognized the tongue the new foreigner is using so he'll assume it's the same tongue as the guy he blamed last time. Keep doing this and the issue isn't solved but just postponed and can actually create a harm full atmosphere.

98% of all your communication issues would be solved if there was some way to use stuff like google translator on everything people would say in chat. As in you insert the language you'd like to see somewhere in your game. And this is also the language the engine will expect you to type. And when people type a different tongue than the one you've marked it will use the translator and show it in the tongue you'd like to see.

Though this might ruin the best part about games which actually can teach and make you adequate at foreign languages. But on the other hand, how awsome would it be to do your homework for Spanish Class by gaming with the translator on spanish. Or russian chinese etc.

Sure it will not translate everything correctly but you'll be able to make sense out of most of what people say.
    I know it's a big idea, but it might not be only useful for Dota2 but for the steam client in it's entirety. Since i highly doubt there aren't other games that could benefit from this translation option. Communication and sharing thoughts is what brought humanity progress in the first place why not move forward with steam.

I know it's a huge effort and just small suggestion so i haven't shared the idea for a long time. But it's better to share my thoughts on it than keeping them to myself for that small chance that it might actually be heard.

But anyway:
    You shouldn't blame others for not knowing your tongue, you should blame yourself for not knowing theirs.

Basic Member
    yeah sure. I live in Germany and i should blame myself for the guy who knows enough English to operate steam and play dota2 but unable to say few words in English. If the guy is unlucky enough to have been born in a country where education is a bliss to have then he should group with people who is at his level. You don't find blind people playing football with people who can actually see right?

Basic Member
    Russians should really get a server for themself. Coz even if they can speak/write in english, they will not. Coz there are other russians playing in the game and they do not even care about non russian/non asbuka players, that dont understand or read theyr language. Many people lost the will to play Dota 2 coz of this russian problem, and more will follow if Valve will not move and change it.

Basic Member
    People say they want Russians separated because of their language, that's only half the truth. People don't want to play with Russians because they're generally assholes and don't give a fuck about their team.
    Fuk u blowjoeber spk rus

Basic Member
    I am affraid you haven't had the same experience as the rest of europe.

I have counted up my last 70 games. And in 40 of them, there has been a guy who either.

Fucks up the draft, by picking a really silly hero which definitely doesn't match into our setup. (e.a picking lifestealer when we already had a lycan who said he wanted to go woods, and a qop for solo lane.)

Starts speaking russian in the teamchat since there is more than 1 russian on the team. The rest of the team will find it anoying and they will start to tell them that they have to start speaking english... They ofcourse refuses because, who wants to communicate with their team in a game of dota2?

Being a total dickhead to other people, by either saying "i fack you mother pls, you noob, fuckn americans (and its on the european servers)"

I have met 1 single good, polite, and ENGLISH SPEAKING russian. Even though he was studying english on a university in moscow. He even told me that he was disguted, and sad about his people... They gave his beloved country such a bad reputation.

I really dont see any other solution to this, but making an Central russian server. No one really wants to play with them, i have read countless of threads on both reddit, and on the dev forums.. And i cant find anyone who doens't agree with me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
    But anyway:
    You shouldn't blame others for not knowing your tongue, you should blame yourself for not knowing theirs.
    Well Spoken.

I think there's a tendancy for a few people to ruin someone's view of the entire "group". Like someone has a few games with players with bad manners/don't want to communicate/play badly and they all happen to be Russian - then obviously every Russian who plays this game is an experience-ruining ignoramus right? ugh fackin rus, gg etc.

The translator thing is a nice idea, but Valve would likely have to purchace a licence or contract a company which would probably translate to a lot of money without a ton of return. It would be great if the game generated enough extra cash for Valve to consider this, but I doubt this will actually happen.

I'd like to see Russia get their own servers, honestly, because they have a large player base and a unified language - not just to get them out of others' games.

edit:
    Wait, why is this in store bugs and feedback? I mean, I could see the translator suggestion being a buyable item or something but this doesn't feel like it belongs here.
    Last edited by Fydorian; 06-22-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Hello, I'm Fydorian! I have Trouble getting even one cs per minute, so I help find bugs instead!
    To make things easier on everyone, if reporting a bug on the Gameplay Bugs forum, please read these stickies:
    Bug posting guidelines. READ THIS FIRST!
    Common Bugs List
    Intended Fix List
    This has been a PSA by yours truely, Fydorian.

Well I am fluent in "babbling moron". If you cannot speak my language, then you should be shunned for your ignorance towards my people.

Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
    retards don't count as people.

Basic Member
    But anyway:
    This makes no sense. its not a "blame them for them not knowing my tongue" its "blame them for them not knowing how to communicate on this server." USEast and USWest are both servers in the US, which is predominantyl english. Presumably, the SEA server is chinese (or whatever language is predominant) and everyone who plays there should speak chinese well enough to deal. etc etc. I think only europe is diverse enough language wise for you to even make this arguement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mittsies View Post
    Well I am fluent in "babbling moron". If you cannot speak my language, then you should be shunned for your ignorance towards my people.
    We need moderators like Mittsies.

It's time for Valve to deal with the problem countries. No amount of treehugging garbage will change the fact that Russians and Brazilians are the plague of Online Gaming.

Basic Member
    I should be blaming myself for no being able to speak chinese or russian in US servers?
    sounds fishy.