Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommended item selection

Basic Member

Recommended item selection

I think it would be better if you could select recommended items based around a particular build. Like if you're going support vs damage vs tank or whatever, a different recommended list for each.

Basic Member
    The amount of maintenance required for this because of metagame would not be worth it.

the maintenance would probably be less if it was automatically updated based on the top teir of players item selections.

You guys are thinking way over the top here imo. The people using the recommended item section will in 99% of all cases be new or inexperienced players that do not (really) know their hero. They possibly do not even know the skills or items and will most likely not give a shit if there are several different ways to play those heroes. You know, those that jump into the game and do not want to waste their time searching all the single parts of each item because they have no idea where they are. The recommended items should consist of the most common way to play the hero with hardly any decission to make for the player.

I believe more in-depth different ways to play certain heroes belong into the interactive guides that were mentioned before which you will want to use once you have a general idea of the game.

there is a folder called itembuild, I think in the future valve will change it and everyone will be able to change it. But for now if you want to test, you can try change it manually. But create a backup of the original folder. There is an example:

{
    "author" "Valve"
    "hero" "npc_dota_hero_chen"
    "Title" "Recommended items for Chen"

"Items"
    {
    "#DOTA_Item_Build_Starting_Items"
    {
    "item" "item_ring_of_basilius"
    "item" "item_tango"
    }

"#DOTA_Item_Build_Early_Game"
    {
    "item" "item_boots"
    "item" "item_headdress"
    "item" "item_ward_observer"
    }

"#DOTA_Item_Build_Core_Items"
    {
    "item" "item_arcane_boots"
    "item" "item_mekansm"
    "item" "item_ward_observer"
    }

"#DOTA_Item_Build_Luxury"
    {
    "item" "item_ultimate_scepter"
    "item" "item_sheepstick"
    "item" "item_vladmir"
    "item" "item_necronomicon"
    "item" "item_ancient_janggo"
    }
    }
    }
    Easy to understand, but honestly I don't have any idea if you change items names it will rlly change ingame.
    JavaScript,TypeScript,NodeJS,Docker,React,Angular, Vue,Java,GO,Elixir, and more.....

Basic Member
    ^^ Hey that's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by MeePwn View Post
    You guys are thinking way over the top here imo. The people using the recommended item section will in 99% of all cases be new or inexperienced players that do not (really) know their hero. They possibly do not even know the skills or items and will most likely not give a shit if there are several different ways to play those heroes.
    I think you're underestimating the intelligence of the average player, personally. I mean, yeah, it doesn't really matter a whole lot for a complete newbie into the game, but for someone who has some experience under their belt with some of the characters, recommended item lists are a life saver for not having to go read every strategy guide in existence. You probably know how you want to play any given character, but might be unsure of which order to get your items in. At least that's been my experience with it.

At any rate, I don't think it would be a whole lot more maintenance than what's currently in the game. Most of the items you want are already there, this is just another way to separate them.

Basic Member
    Yeah u can change them. Ive used it on a couple of heroes i tend to play like es and tiny.
    Tiny no bottle? had to change that .

The community have always been an important part of Dota, and will most likely still be it when Dota2 is out. When talking about recommended builds, we should include hero guides.
    It would be awesome to read a guide and "download" it, then your recommended items and skill build would be implemented for the hero, and the guide you just read on the internet would be easy to follow.
    This way there can be some standard recommendations for the new player, but everyone is able to download new recommendations. To involve the community this way would be a win/win for all.

For pro players it could be great to make your own too "recommendations" too, just to faster find the items you need. It might save you a few seconds from time to time, which can be precious.

Basic Member
    Definitely, also, some of the default recommendations are weird. Why phase boots on puck, for example? Especially for someone fairly new.

And yes, custom recommendations that each player can set up, definitely.

I believe building a smart ai to collect data from games to make recommended item suggestions for several types of builds for heroes based on the high level tiered players would be the best option, but on top of that allow for automatic searching of approved guide builds through the DotA2 website people have created this would allow for new players, old/causal players and competitive players to have a quick way of finding the items they want as quickly as possible instead of searching though the rather large item system DotA has.