Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dota 2 & Linux

Basic Member

Dota 2 & Linux

Not really an issue, just wanted to share my experience running Dota 2 on Linux, Ubuntu Oneiric beta 1. Not expecting too much as it can often take a while for games to be playable through Wine. I installed it through Steam running on the latest Wine dev release.

Ran the game, seeing no glitches or behavior different from windows. Menu navigation and the web view seems to work just fine. I've been spectating a couple of games, about 1.5 hours in total with no issues. Rendering, sounds seems no different than on windows. The only glitch I could see was the highlight glow on buildings being a bit different. Happily surprised!

The problem with wine is, it changes a lot, and isn't rlly "stable". I mean, if you try run on fedora, it probably will change something, if you run on FreeBSD same. But is rlly good know you was testing, and it works.
    JavaScript,TypeScript,NodeJS,Docker,React,Angular, Vue,Java,GO,Elixir, and more.....

I wouldnt mind seeing DotA2 have linux compatibility would open the game to another potential player base as well as being another game that valve supports for linux.

Basic Member
    I was also testing today Dota2|Steam on my Debian based linux distribution on a laptop with average configuration.
    I encountered some difficulties that can be handled with one script. I will also explore this a little more and maybe try to make some more detailed FAQ's and also I have few questions to the devs about it.

But overall I confirm wine environment runs steam and dota2 perfectly specially considering how steam is running games.

I also managed to get it running, but under gentoo. Had to mess with / update my wine though.

Basic Member
    After a bit of mangling of setting I have it working. For a long time everything would work except in game the map would have no textures and it was just a big foggy haze.

I found the solution to this was to set the offscreen rendering mode to backbuffer, after this it rendered ok. Some tearing and issues with lighting but playable.

I am using wine 1.3.32 and kubuntu.

Basic Member
    I would love to have a native build of the game on linux, but I'm glad to hear it runs nicely under wine.

Basic Member
    I would love to have this build for linux too, I've wanted to switch to linux for a long time now, this would help me make that jump.

Banned
    What you guys all didn't tell us is if the performance on wine equals Windows or if it runs slower.
    I didn't try it myself yet (and probably will never do :P), but I think it would be important to know.

I going to update my kernel tomorrow and test performance.
    For example SC2 runs on ultra settings at 40-80fps. GTX460-1G@850Mhz and i5 750@4Ghz with 8gigs cl9 ram.