Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lunas voice is terrific

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Infrisios View Post
    There are really people who dislike it? Man, I considered starting to play Luna just because of her awesome accent.
    The voice actress did a damn nice job there.
    Yes, mainly British/Irish people hate it.

The reason?

The accent is neither here nor there, it literally sounds like an American woman has got drunk one night and suddenly decided 'I can do impressions of Irish people,' in reality the accent is a terrible mix of Northern English, Scottish, Northern Irish and Irish.

It also sounds forced and unnatural to people who have actually heard Irish/Scottish accents. Again, because it sounds like a drunk American woman is doing an accent for her giggly friends. 'NOOOOOVA'

It really is a terrible job.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by durkadurka View Post
    Yes, mainly British/Irish people hate it.

The reason?

The accent is neither here nor there, it literally sounds like an American woman has got drunk one night and suddenly decided 'I can do impressions of Irish people,' in reality the accent is a terrible mix of Northern English, Scottish, Northern Irish and Irish.

It also sounds forced and unnatural to people who have actually heard Irish/Scottish accents. Again, because it sounds like a drunk American woman is doing an accent for her giggly friends. 'NOOOOOVA'

It really is a terrible job.
    Oh lighten up Durka I'm British and it's not That bad, it is a little forced and strained but it could be worse and like others have said at least it makes a change from catering to the 14 year old fappers.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Release View Post
    Oh lighten up Durka I'm British and it's not That bad, it is a little forced and strained but it could be worse and like others have said at least it makes a change from catering to the 14 year old fappers.
    The thing is, I always praised Dota 2 on its voice work, loved every bit of it. Then Luna came along and left a bitter taste in my mouth...

Luna and Nova's voices are amazing!

NOW FOR LUNA ANNOUNCER! God... I don't know why anyone wants to listen to annoying Storm or Tusk over Luna...

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Luna View Post
    I don't know why anyone wants to listen to annoying Storm or Tusk over Luna...
    Because their voice work is actually good and not half assed.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elite_unk View Post
    The voice itself is great I mean accent and all BUT the voice acting is what's terrible.
    It sounds like she speaks in words rather than sentences. "Almost.like.this"
    oh i'm not the only one to notice "i'm.done.being.merciful."

Basic Member

Syllabear is Welsh???!?

Quote Originally Posted by Van! View Post
    I agree, though some of lines haven't been delivered that well. In general, I think it's excellent. To me it's really channeling the Wildlings from Game of Thrones, which is brilliant. The British accents are all great, imo. Particulary Syllabear. I love me some Welsh
    I know Nolan North struggles with British accents (E.G. Penguin in Batman:AC) but Syllabear is an attempt at Scottish (from the Mike Myers school).

I'm with DurkaDurka on Luna, it's an awful accent. It sounds like it's meant to be Norn Irish but is so strained and unreal. This line's pronunciation sums it up really:

"First blood! For Selemene and for the Dark Moon"

It starts off ok, she gets the pronunciation of "Blood" correct but it all goes horribly wrong once we get to "Moon" which comes out something like "MoouuuN". It grates on the ears! Then we have the most painful line, "Nova! Nova!" as she dies. Bloodseeker is another attempt at a Northern Irish accent, I think!, it seems to veer into Hollywood Pirate territory at times but the voice isn't as grating as Luna so I can at least bear that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Runciter View Post
    I know Nolan North struggles with British accents (E.G. Penguin in Batman:AC) but Syllabear is an attempt at Scottish (from the Mike Myers school).

I'm with DurkaDurka on Luna, it's an awful accent. It sounds like it's meant to be Norn Irish but is so strained and unreal. This line's pronunciation sums it up really:

"First blood! For Selemene and for the Dark Moon"

It starts off ok, she gets the pronunciation of "Blood" correct but it all goes horribly wrong once we get to "Moon" which comes out something like "MoouuuN". It grates on the ears! Then we have the most painful line, "Nova! Nova!" as she dies. Bloodseeker is another attempt at a Northern Irish accent, I think!, it seems to veer into Hollywood Pirate territory at times but the voice isn't as grating as Luna so I can at least bear that one.
    I'll never understand Your problem people, Luna have one of the best VA in the game for me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleNitrox View Post
    I'll never understand Your problem people, Luna have one of the best VA in the game for me.
    When you grow up hearing authentic accents on a regular basis you get used to how they sound, so when you hear a non-native doing an approximation it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Runciter View Post
    When you grow up hearing authentic accents on a regular basis you get used to how they sound, so when you hear a non-native doing an approximation it sticks out like a sore thumb.
    PROTIP: She's not Irish.

Nor is she anything off the British Isles, for that matter. She's (probably) from some as of yet unknown country/region of the DotA2 world and for all we know, her accent might be 100% authentic.