Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions about the new learn tab.

I think it's awful, for all the reasons already listed here.

I also miss the flavor text for the skills being in the Learn Tab. I used to read over many of them for fun, and now they're limited to the hero picker.

Also, living in China I have really poor internet and making the learn-tab web based really makes everything a lot slower. It takes about a minute for each hero page to load, which makes looking up different heroes really difficult when you're just looking for a match.

Basic Member
    I'm not a an. Of this incarnation. It feels very bland, and the dynamics of movin heroes with audio was absolutely a good addition to the experience. If its alpha, okay. But, I don't think the in game learning tab needed to be replaced, just expanded upon.

I agree, bring the animations and sounds back but I think they'll return because the speechlines are already paid and done. So we'll see.

Furthermore: Learntab needs to be informative as possible but easy as possible for newcomers.
    I don't see the advantage in putting it into the small whatever-you-want-window. (To be honest I don't see the advantage in putting anything into the small whatever-you-want-window but let us ignore that)

What we have now: A quarter of the screen is filled with tiny pictures of fancy looking heroes, click on one and you have a bland website with videos and a lot of fancy numbers.

What we could have: A nearly fullscreen gallery of heropics (a little bit like the heropicker just without carddesign back to old learntab design[animation etc.], an 'information button' that opens the herosite where you have a good structured interface which shows all the stats, skills, lore and a 3D model of the hero (like the one from the customization interface).

Short: You already have all the ressources (voices, herodesign, pictures and 3D models, etc.) why not arrange everything in a proper way to make it beautiful for the veterans and informative for the newcomers...

@ Valve: If you ask me you're breaking your neck if you force every gamecontent to fit in the lefthanded window in the 'menu': you're wasting too much needed space and vertical design is unusual for the eyes. Webcontent can definitely be better intigrated than this. Common, I believe in you, you can create a nearly perfect looking game.

Basic Member
    Yeah I would put as others said a "learn more" button on the previous "learn" tab, giving access to the new videos/description page.

Basic Member
    That's a great point.. for newcomers the fancy stats don't mean anything anyway, for those of us who have played the game for a while the stats aren't even as complete as the dota2wiki (e.g. Luna's Lucent Beam skill doesn't even show damage!). I'm not sure who they are targeting with the stats they have now?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    the benefits of a html page, is that they are easily changable without having to go too deep into the code of the game itself.

i'd consider this as an alphaversion of the new learn tab and wait for it to get more refined.

p.s.: i'm also missing the portraits. :*(
    Uhm, you dont know much about databases do you? The game can still use a database and still be easy to edit. It doesnt HAVE to have a web based frontend...

Basic Member

New learn tab.

Sucks cause it's browser based :x
    The browser itself sucks anyways.
    In my opinion the old learn tab was better.

Indeed. At least let us see the portrait and basic skills without loading, just like before the update.
    Or make all this stuff 'loadable' so you can load it once and don't load again.