Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dota 2 causing: Blue Screen, Computer Restarts, Game crash, Game + Steam Crash

Basic Member

Dota 2 causing: Blue Screen, Computer Restarts, Game crash, Game + Steam Crash

Dota 2, when I play the game at seemingly random intervals with random frequencies (day to day, month to month), will cause the following (ordered from most common to least)

Game crash
    Game crash + steam crash
    Blue screen
    Immediate computer restart (no prompt or error message)

I am running windows professional 64 bit, all my drivers are updated.
    I've tried uninstalling / downloading from fresh.
    As this only occurs when I play Dota 2, and not other steam games / other games generally, I figure it must be a problem with Dota 2 interacting with something of mine.

The games are getting unbearable, and, I hate to say it, but I'm about to give up and just go back to HoN.

I see a few other things on the forums showing similar posts, but no answers yet.

Any idea how to fix it?

Basic Member
    Are u running a game in fullscreen?
    Because if u are,then if u use alt+tab,game can crash sometimes.So,switch to borderless mode.

Steam crash?Hmm,that your computer whining about something.I reckon a some general system reinstaling would be in order,because steam crash should't be caused by dota2.

BSOD and restart are 90% caused by maxed out Dota2 settings+big summer temperatures.Computer fans cant cool off the GPU and CPU,because there is a hot air everywhere,and hot air can't take any more heat from coolers.
    So,open it up,blow dust away,take a big Fan and direct it to open PC case.
    Also,get HWmonitor to check those temperatures.

What are your PC specs?
    I'm 99% positive that u are running a dota2 on max settings because ur like "yeah,i got 3+gb's of ram and a multicore processor".
    U also must have ignored that part when thinking about the root of problem.
    However,u'r not realising that dota2 is still a one big unoptimised beta,so,i case of any problems,best thing is to lower the details.That especially considering these hot temperatures outside.

Basic Member
    That's cute.
    I'm using, and have been using the lowest possible settings.
    I've even taken the suggestion of uninstalling the physics and other optimization that come with the gpu driver.
    My CPU and GPU temps are normal - by the way, it's winter in Australia

I've had multiple complete reinstalls of steam + Dota 2
    All drivers are up to date.
    The game is being played as borderless windowed, alt tabbing works as intended

Here's the strange thing, steam doesnt crash when I'm playing; Portal 2, TF2, Left for Dead, Alice, Saints Row 3, Amnesia, Fable 3 etcetcetc
    All of these issues are specific to Dota2.

I understand Dota2 is in "Beta", but the issues I'm having are not experienced by the 5 or so dota-playing friends I have.
    Which would mean it's out of the ordinary.
    While I appreciate your help, can someone who knows what they are talking about point me in the direction of actual help?

Basic Member
    I'm having almost the exact same problem, although I've never had Steam crash as part of it.

I've been attempting to play the game for a little over a week now, and to date, I've yet to manage to complete a single match.

Each and every game, at apparently whatever random moment the game gods decide upon, the game will either freeze up and force me to manually terminate the process, or (much more common) reboot my computer right back to the pre-boot POST screen without any warning whatsoever.

There are no messages about recovering from serious errors or the like upon getting back into Windows, as I've encountered in the few odd occurrences of system halts in the past.

Temperatures are not a factor here. I've already checked that. Neither are some crazy maxed-out settings.

Windows 7 x64
    Intel Core2 Q6600
    GeForce GTX 570 (latest drivers)

Any of those above factors coincide with your setup, my good Aussie friend?

(EDIT: I've seen on other threads that some folks recommended a few fixes. Threaded optimization on in nVidia control panel, vsync/AA disabled, setting CPU affinity to cores 0 and 1 each time the game is running. None of these have worked.)

Same thing has been happening to me as well.
    After around 1 minute after selecting a hero, my screen will go black, and the computer will completely lockup, with a hard reset required each time.
    specs are:
    AMD Turion II Dual-core M520 2.30 GHZ
    Radeon HD 4200
    running on Windows 7 64 bit.
    This has been happening since the luna/wisp patch last Wednesday.
    I've tried the fix for duo core computers, tried reinstalling steam, tried reinstalling dota 2, none has worked. Much like the others in this thread, all other games on steam work fine.

Basic Member
    A friend did point out to me that she and I managed to finish several bot games on the first day of my playing. The next day is when the Luna/Wisp patch went in and that's when my problems began.

I can't believe I didn't realize something like that until it was pointed out, but at least it's out there now.

Did you have these issues before said patch, Darwin?

Basic Member
    The thing is when it crash I cant kill the process in task manager etc. So i must do hard reset. It got me in low priority 2 times now.

Basic Member
    yes i agree my computer is brand new but when i pay dota 2 sometimes the blue screen appears and my computer restarts.... i dnt the eact problem. this never happens when i play other high graphics game

Basic Member
    Me tooo but no one is answering anything

Basic Member
    Update released going to try tomorow and ill post if bsods stop