Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: <Player> is beyond godlike!!! Somebody kill him -> them!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolooman View Post
    Singular they is used in Shakespeare and various other literary works dating back to the 12th century. The rule AGAINST singular they was developed in the 19th century by prescriptivist grammarians. It's not wrong to use singular they, and despite two centuries of people trying to stomp it out, it still sounds natural and is widely used.

Singular "they" is the correct answer and should be used instead of "him."
    And thank God for those prescriptivist grammarians.

How many girls have you seen playing dota? How many have you seen playing dota2?
    Are you kidding me, you make this whole entire post for 10 girls? I think if a girl got 10+ kills, she would be least concerned with being called a him.

FIX MMR POINTS TO BE AWARDED FOR INDIVUDUAL PERFORMANCE RATHER THAN WHOLE TEAM SHARING THE FATE FOR THE FEEDER AND VICE VERSA. SO THAT YOU CAN HAVE +VE MMR POINTS EVEN AFTER A LOSS IF YOU DID REALLY WELL.
    ADD THE SURRENDER BUTTON SO THE CRUSHED TEAM DOES NOT WASTE >10 MINS AFK AT FOUNTAIN
    ADD SIZE CUSTOMIZATION FOR THE HUD.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Destructoboy View Post
    How many girls have you seen playing dota? How many have you seen playing dota2?
    Are you kidding me, you make this whole entire post for 10 girls? I think if a girl got 10+ kills, she would be least concerned with being called a him.
    I don't care about girls, it is simply incorrect to use singular they in every place except one. It makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by kolt View Post
    It is clear to me that the reconnect message is wrong, not the one you said.
    It shouldn't be "someone kill them" if its a single hero.
    Then you're wrong. There are at least 3 messages using singular they and only 1 using male gender. Objectively, this means that the 1 case needs to be adjusted to the 3 (majority) and not 3 cases to the 1.
    It's a bug. It's not a matter of opinion or grammatically correctness. It's just inconsistent and needs to be fixed.
    Last edited by Typhox; 07-02-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    I don't care about girls, it is simply incorrect to use singular they in every place except one. It makes no sense.
    I agree with THAT. But it is also incorrect to match up experienced 600+ wins people with noobs with <100 or <200 wins, which a whole lot more pressing issue. I think these small things should be left till later when the game is made enjoyable.

FIX MMR POINTS TO BE AWARDED FOR INDIVUDUAL PERFORMANCE RATHER THAN WHOLE TEAM SHARING THE FATE FOR THE FEEDER AND VICE VERSA. SO THAT YOU CAN HAVE +VE MMR POINTS EVEN AFTER A LOSS IF YOU DID REALLY WELL.
    ADD THE SURRENDER BUTTON SO THE CRUSHED TEAM DOES NOT WASTE >10 MINS AFK AT FOUNTAIN

Banned
    I agree with THAT. But it is also incorrect to match up experienced 600+ wins people with noobs with <100 or <200 wins, which a whole lot more pressing issue. I think these small things should be left till later when the game is made enjoyable.
    So you're basically saying, don't report tooltip bugs?
    This is the tooltip issues forum, why are you even posting here then? :X

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    They should just change them all to female. It is an English standard.
    fixed for you.

Basic Member
    Yes, let's do everything in terms of importance. Have you solved world hunger yet? I don't mean to come across as a complete ass, but it literally would take 5 seconds to change the text file. There are a lot of different people that work on dota, not all of them work on matchmaking. Surely someone also has time to tweak this while their (singular gender neutral possessive pronoun) comrades do other things.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBear View Post
    Yes, let's do everything in terms of importance. Have you solved world hunger yet? I don't mean to come across as a complete ass, but it literally would take 5 seconds to change the text file. There are a lot of different people that work on dota, not all of them work on matchmaking. Surely someone also has time to tweak this while their (singular gender neutral possessive pronoun) comrades do other things.
    What Im saying is, this post is quite arguable, it will take a long time to come to a community conclusion, which, at the end, valve will still do what they want to do, and gonna piss a lot of people off. I dont think it should be changed just because thats how it was in dota1, however there is absolutely no harm in changing it to them or 'em, someone kill 'em.

they sounds completly off. Him/he is the best way to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    And thank God for those prescriptivist grammarians.
    Yeah, thank goodness that they arbitrarily removed valid and widely used English constructions in order to make our primarily Germanic grammar resemble Latin. :3