Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: <Player> is beyond godlike!!! Somebody kill him -> them!!

Basic Member
    Change all mentions of "him, them, they're, their, whatever" to 'it'

I dont appreciate this heteronormative cisgendered language that valve has been using, please use the proper xim/xer pronouns when speaking for people of undescript gender.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolooman View Post
    Yeah, thank goodness that they arbitrarily removed valid and widely used English constructions in order to make our primarily Germanic grammar resemble Latin. :3
    People need a standard. The argument of the standard being arbitrary is irrelevant since every standard is arbitrary to an extent. There will often be reasonable guidelines, but that is the most arbitrariness you will remove from the standard. But even if you want to be way too open-minded by following ear or what most people do, both of those criteria result in 'he' being the pronoun of choice. It simply sounds more fluid and is used in most literature. And as for the appeal to authority via Shakespeare, his writings are too distanced to enter into the debate of proper English. This fact is clear as day since no one on earth speaks as he wrote - half of the words he used are purely archaic and he uses other archaic devices. The use of their instead of his happens to be one of those archaic devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    The use of them/they/their as singulars is one of my pet peeves. They're all very distinctly meant to be plural.
    Actually the founders of the English language distinctly meant for it to be eligible as a singular.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Comedy of Errors, Act IV, Scene 3. Shakespeare
    There's not a man I meet but doth salute me
    As if I were their well-acquainted friend
    Quote Originally Posted by sterls View Post
    lol, would you prefer it to say "Please wait for they to connect?" cause that's what it sounds like you are asking for. And the current tense/gender is perfectly fine.
    I would call you stupid, but it's obvious that you didn't read the original post so I'll give you the benefit of 'not sure if trolling'.

Quote Originally Posted by Destructoboy View Post
    How many girls have you seen playing dota? How many have you seen playing dota2?
    Are you kidding me, you make this whole entire post for 10 girls? I think if a girl got 10+ kills, she would be least concerned with being called a him.
    Wow, that's two threads you managed to derail. I hope you had a bad day or something to justify all this ranting.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    .And as for the appeal to authority via Shakespeare, his writings are too distanced to enter into the debate of proper English. This fact is clear as day since no one on earth speaks as he wrote - half of the words he used are purely archaic and he uses other archaic devices. The use of their instead of his happens to be one of those archaic devices.
    Okay, let's go with your idea that Shakespeare knows nothing about modern English. How about Jane Austen? Or is she illiterate as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma. Jane Austen
    "Who is in love with her? Who makes you their confidant?"
    Needless to say I agree with Typhox.

I, for one, welcome our new Russian overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by k0i View Post
    Actually the founders of the English language distinctly meant for it to be eligible as a singular.

I would call you stupid, but it's obvious that you didn't read the original post so I'll give you the benefit of 'not sure if trolling'.

Wow, that's two threads you managed to derail. I hope you had a bad day or something to justify all this ranting.

Okay, let's go with your idea that Shakespeare knows nothing about modern English. How about Jane Austen? Or is she illiterate as well?

Needless to say I agree with Typhox.
    youre so kind

FIX MMR POINTS TO BE AWARDED FOR INDIVUDUAL PERFORMANCE RATHER THAN WHOLE TEAM SHARING THE FATE FOR THE FEEDER AND VICE VERSA. SO THAT YOU CAN HAVE +VE MMR POINTS EVEN AFTER A LOSS IF YOU DID REALLY WELL.
    ADD THE SURRENDER BUTTON SO THE CRUSHED TEAM DOES NOT WASTE >10 MINS AFK AT FOUNTAIN
    ADD SIZE CUSTOMIZATION FOR THE HUD.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhox View Post
    So you're basically saying, don't report tooltip bugs?
    This is the tooltip issues forum, why are you even posting here then? :X
    I actually kind of agree with him. It seems like the developers share his attitude. Three months ago I reported a bug that could cause a game crash, easy to reproduce, easily fixable, but it never got fixed. There is also a famous dire courier position bug that also never got fixed and is superbly easy to fix. These bugs are just too minor. So I stopped reporting minor bugs until all heroes are released and all major bugs fixed. (and I have a few of them to report)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by k0i View Post
    This post is so deceitful that it is scary.

First off, Jane Austen is just a cherry-picked example to support your cause. If you looked at my post, you would clearly see I said most places use 'he/him' for unknown singular genders, and that is basically the only other way to describe grammar other than defining it arbitrarily. Consequently, 'he/him' also sounds more intelligent and more fluid compared to 'their/them'. I didn't say all people use it.

Second, the in bold portion is a completely dishonest loaded question fallacy. I never said Shakespeare was illiterate. The question is unanswerable since it presupposes a falsehood.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    People need a standard. The argument of the standard being arbitrary is irrelevant since every standard is arbitrary to an extent. There will often be reasonable guidelines, but that is the most arbitrariness you will remove from the standard. But even if you want to be way too open-minded by following ear or what most people do, both of those criteria result in 'he' being the pronoun of choice. It simply sounds more fluid and is used in most literature. And as for the appeal to authority via Shakespeare, his writings are too distanced to enter into the debate of proper English. This fact is clear as day since no one on earth speaks as he wrote - half of the words he used are purely archaic and he uses other archaic devices. The use of their instead of his happens to be one of those archaic devices.
    Steam already uses "them" as a singular gender neutral pronoun. The only reason it's the current way is that it's an artifact from Dota 1. Put simply, in the age of internet anonymity there is a high demand for a third person gender neutral pronoun. "They" fills that hole quite aptly without the downsides of using a male pronoun for an unknown/unstated gender.

vandal,

Singular they was deeply established prior to the prescriptive rule and continues to be used widely in the English canon today.

For this reason, neither the SAT nor the International Baccalaureate foundation require test takers to avoid using the singular they.

Even the original rulemaker, Anne Fisher, only said that "the preferred method" was to use he, and she doesn't require you to avoid using singular they.

George Shaw, Mark Twain, C.S. Lewis--how many famous authors would you like before you accept that singular they is the standard?

Singular they is so common, even in academic writing, that the New International Version of the Bible uses it.

The prescriptive rule was WRONG. It directly contradicted actual English grammar. Singular they is correct.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoolooman View Post
    vandal,

Singular they was deeply established prior to the prescriptive rule and continues to be used widely in the English canon today.

For this reason, neither the SAT nor the International Baccalaureate foundation require test takers to avoid using the singular they.

Even the original rulemaker, Anne Fisher, only said that "the preferred method" was to use he, and she doesn't require you to avoid using singular they.

George Shaw, Mark Twain, C.S. Lewis--how many famous authors would you like before you accept that singular they is the standard?

Singular they is so common, even in academic writing, that the New International Version of the Bible uses it.

The prescriptive rule was WRONG. It directly contradicted actual English grammar. Singular they is correct.
    All of the authors you name have happened to use singular they. It doesn't mean they only used it or used it a majority of the time. In the vast majority of cases, singular they sounds awkward and wrong to the ear. I have also never read a serious textbook that uses singular they. That's the thing with your position: You find one instance of it used by author X and now claim "author X uses it." Yes, he uses it in the sense that he used it that one time or those n times. However, what fraction of all times did he use it?
    Last edited by vandal; 07-04-2012 at 11:58 PM.