Thread: Re-entering AOE Spells

Basic Member

Re-entering AOE Spells

Currently, in Dota 2, units are damaged only once if they re-enter the aoe of spells such as Dragonslave, Crypt Swarm, Shockwave, and Sonic Wave. In Dota 1, re-entering the aoe of such spells would cause the unit to be damaged a second time.

I have seen no threads directly talking about this, (though it was mentioned briefly here http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=30828) and it has not been posted in the intended fix list or the common bugs list. It seems likely that it is an intended fix, but I just wanted to be sure. The official playdota page for Magnataur does specifically state that units are damaged again if they re-enter the aoe of shockwave. The Satyr Hellcaller ability currently in Dota 2 does not do this however.

Edit: I accidentally posted this in the main forum, I meant to have it in the Mechanics Brainstorming Section.

Basic Member
    added to intended fix discussion list.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    Are you sure about this? I am 90% certain I was hit twice by DP's crypt/carrion swarm before. And we all know for a fact tiny's works.

As for damage over time spells, this definitely works, ie enigma's and sniper's spells.

Basic Member
    tried to reproduce with qop and her ulti only applied damage once.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Quote Originally Posted by krikara View Post
    Are you sure about this? I am 90% certain I was hit twice by DP's crypt/carrion swarm before. And we all know for a fact tiny's works.

As for damage over time spells, this definitely works, ie enigma's and sniper's spells.
    This is possibly a fix for at least some of the spells. When you enter the Aoe of a spell like Dragon Slave, you get a buff that prevents you from getting damaged again, but if you leave the aoe and reenter it, you will lose the buff and take damage again. Dota 2 obviously doesn't use this system, so it may be intended that such aoe spells only damage once.

And Tiny's avalanche, Enigma's two aoe spells and Sniper's shrapnel do not work this way. They deal damage in intervals, as opposed to one damage instance like carrion swarm or dragon slave. Tiny's avalanche+toss combo works by having avalanche deal double damage on tossed units, avalanche does not hit twice.
    Last edited by DLRevan; 07-04-2012 at 08:58 AM.
    Always read and follow the forum rules. If you need help from a moderator, use the report button ()
    Before posting new bugs:
    -Check the Known Bugs List and search the forum for an existing report.
    -Make sure its a bug (test in WC3 Dota, visit playdota guides and adv. mech, etc). If you're still not sure, post in Mechanics and Gameplay Bug Brainstorming instead.
    -Read the Bug Posting Guidelines on how to report a bug properly.

Basic Member
    if u guys want some vague proof, i watched some dota wc fail clips on youtube a long time ago, and i remember someone get force staffed while being hit by a shockwave from mag, and he was hit twice and died lol.