Thread: Move the MINI MAP to the RIGHT SIDE of the screen.

Move the MINI MAP to the RIGHT SIDE of the screen.

I don't know how often i find myself running from an enemy or chasing an enemy and find myself clicking on the top of the mini map only to have my hero run in the completely wrong direction. Perhaps I'm a small percentage of people that do this, but it can be really frustrating and could cost you a kill or death.

Because all the action is happening from bottom left to upper right your almost always clicking dangerously close to the mini map when chasing or fleeing.

Example:
    Your on the Radiant team, and your being chased by two enemy heroes. In many cases your going to run for safety which in most cases is your Radiant base located Bottom Left of the map. Perhaps your bobbing and weaving to stay out of line of sight but always clicking toward the bottom left of the screen. What if you miss click and just nic the top of the mini map? Your character is gonna turn around, even if it for a brief second as your re-adjust, but that could mean life or death.

The same example could be used but from the perspective of the Dire. Your clicking after the enemy as he runs and you accidentally click the mini map. Odd are that enemy has just gotten away.

I understand that the mini map has been in the left hand corner for Dota 1 and many other RTS games, but although it seems like a small issue the design of the games flow/map and progression would mean that the mini map being on the left hand side can only eventually get in your way.

Just something to think about, its gotten me killed enough times that I thought it was worth posting about.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbiek1000 View Post
    I don't know how often i find myself running from an enemy or chasing an enemy and find myself clicking on the top of the mini map only to have my hero run in the completely wrong direction. Perhaps I'm a small percentage of people that do this, but it can be really frustrating and could cost you a kill or death.
    No you aren't. It amazes me why Valve hasn't fixed this yet.

And why would not accidentally click on the map just the same if it were on the other side?

Basic Member
    Why did i never hear any complaints about this/never EVER had this problem back when it was wc3 days?
    I mean common, either you guys have extremely shaky hands or you have no precision at all, because that would be the only i could see myself missclicking on the minimap.

Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    And why would not accidentally click on the map just the same if it were on the other side?
    Because they are kind of guys who think that due to bases being connected under Pi/4 angel ( close to / ), they click top right and bottom left corners of the screen more often than the other ones.

I think they are just kind of guys who can't control their own damn mouse at their own damn screen. Next thing they say will be "make special keyboard please i miss the buttons".

Concluding, I oppose TS, and I'm strongly againsts changing minimap from the place it has been for 8 years to the place where they saw it to be in lol or hon or whatsoever.

edit: from phylosophic point of view the minimap position expresses that tactics in dota is not just about running FORWARD and BACK.
    Last edited by soprof; 07-05-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soprof View Post
    Because they are kind of guys who think that due to bases connecting under Pi/4 angel ( close to / ), they click top right and bottom left corners of the screen more often than the other ones.

I think they are just kind of guys who can't control their own damn mouse at their own damn screen. Next thing they say will be "make special keyboard please i miss the buttons".

Concluding, I oppose TS, and I'm strongly againsts changing minimap from the place it has been for 8 years to the place where they saw it to be in lol or hon or whatsoever.
    im guessing shaky hands.
    people who still become all shaky when fun stuff happens.

oh my god! im getting ganked! (starts shaking)

Quote Originally Posted by soprof View Post
    Because they are kind of guys who think that due to bases connecting under Pi/4 angel ( close to / ), they click top right and bottom left corners of the screen more often than the other ones.

edit: from phylosophic point of view the minimap position expresses that tactics in dota is not just about running FORWARD and BACK.
    I have no problem with the minimap, and I have played LoL a few times before being invited do Dota 2, and I have to say that in LoL there is an option to change the side of minimap. Dota 2, as a more advanced game, should give you this option too.

Quote Originally Posted by VenomBHz View Post
    I have no problem with the minimap, and I have played LoL a few times before being invited do Dota 2, and I have to say that in LoL there is an option to change the side of minimap. Dota 2, as a more advanced game, should give you this option too.
    No debating about this

Basic Member
    dota_minimap_misclick_time = 0.6

Use it on console or on your autoexec.conf, my fellow League player.

Oh, and use google before opening a thread.