Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: [Animation] Refraction not subtle enough

Basic Member
    The animation is beautiful, I agree. But the main concern in my thoughts is that Valve will always prioritize gameplay overall.

The way it used to work on classic DotA was:

-Once you activate refraction, a minor animation for it will be shown, but quickly vanish after like 0,5s (and it will NOT show for yourself nor your allies)
    - When you take a hit with refraction activated, a really small particle will be shown to everyone on your model.
    - There is NO extra animation for the aggressive hits you make with refraction activated.

This implies that refraction IS a gimmicky ability. You may cast it outside the fog THEN come in, and people will have no idea you have it activated unless they click you and check your buffs.

If Valve wants to make it cool + the closest possible to classic DotA, the ideal fix, in my opinion, would be making refraction's animation only visible for Lanaya herself and her allies.

Concerning the attack animation, I believe once you hit something it should do some kind of thing. But I don't know if Valve is willing to simply remove the particles they've already made for Lanaya's hands in this.

This is the kind of stuff that changes the gameplay. Lanaya is the kind of hero that tower dives and does really aggressive moves relying 100% on her refraction (and the possibility that the enemy has no idea it's coming). I'm not for or against this matter, but I feel the need to emphasize that it WILL change stuff.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    Same thing happened to Dazzle's shallow grave
    And Furion's TPing in animation. Before it was impossible to detect right in front of you if the first 'swirl' animation was done in fog. Now it's in your face and gets bigger until TP is complete.

I don't mind Dazzle since the indicator also helps the ally. But TA animation is a big nerf to her as Refraction is her bread & butter strategy.

I suggest make it like in Dota 1 *just @ the start of the spell* .. heck have this big ass shield / ball happen just when you cast it not be there 24/7 at least that..

Basic Member
    Well, this behaves like the display of enemy mana bars. You have to click on an enemy hero to see his mana/whether he is a treat or not. Same applies to the additional "buffcheck" of enemy lanayas.

Basic Member
    The time you waste clicking on her, checking if she has Refraction actived, selecting back your hero and casting any skill(or just attacking) is way enough time to her blink away. Showing to your enemies the that it's actived or not without needing of clicking on her is a huge nerf.

Some Dev could please post here and tell us if it's intentional or if it will be changed?

Basic Member
    Well as I said before, it would be enough if it is invisbile for enemy so that the whole animation for it wasn't waste and you can only see how she activates it.

Basic Member
    +1. should not be evident for opponent

Quote Originally Posted by .Haru View Post
    The time you waste clicking on her, checking if she has Refraction actived, selecting back your hero and casting any skill(or just attacking) is way enough time to her blink away. Showing to your enemies the that it's actived or not without needing of clicking on her is a huge nerf.

Some Dev could please post here and tell us if it's intentional or if it will be changed?
    I know they've most definitely seen this thread, and I can guaruntee it's being/will be/has been discussed.

At first I thought so, too.

But: good players see her cast it anyway, so by making it less obvious you only make it harder for newer players while keeping it the same for more experienced players? Ok, mby they should make the shield less obvious, I think the little additional glow on the weapons is decent enough.
    specs for bugreports:
    i5-4200U
    AMD Radeon HD 8750M
    win 7

Banned
    Yes plz ally only, the animation can stay thou