Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Closed/Moved Threads taking too much space

Make it so that new threads need to be approved. Add more mods if it would be more work then current system.

Basic Member
    if you knew, how many threads need closing, moving, etc...
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    if you knew, how many threads need closing, moving, etc...
    How many active moderators are on these forums currently anyways? Because last few weeks I see you doing most of the job. Sometimes Revan or Blablafu posts but that's it. I miss Slowreflex and his instalocking of anti russian threads
    I also agree with Panter. More Mods.
    Last edited by TheWilder; 07-12-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    boy im glad all these qualified and educated game designers have come to the forums to help dota 2 grow

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWilder View Post
    How many active moderators are on these forums currently anyways? Because last few weeks I see you doing most of the job. Sometimes Revan or Blablafu posts but that's it. I miss Slowreflex and his instalocking of anti russian threads
    I also agree with Panter. More Mods.
    hef is pretty active too. afterall we are the new kids on the block.
    moderating these forums is pretty exhausting, so after doing it for a while, you just need a break.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

I think it's more of a problem of having the Misc Forum cover:
    1. Low Priority Feedback
    2. MMR Feedback
    3. General Suggestions
    4. Policy Questions (about how MMR works, or how abuse reports are handled)
    5. Valve Policies on Cheating/Trading/Beta/etc

If there were dedicated forums for some of these issues, the stickies would be read more often (right now there are so many your eyes glaze over them) and you'd see a lot of duplicate thread topics.

Basic Member
    If there were dedicated forums for some of these issues, the stickies would be read more often (right now there are so many your eyes glaze over them) and you'd see a lot of duplicate thread topics.
    Honestly, not really. Look at any other section of the forum, especially customisations, and you'll see misplaced topics littering it. The people who post stupid topics are usually the same people don't really care where it goes.

SETTINGS (at top right) > General Settings > Default Thread Subscription Mode: > Choose any subscription mode

Do not post in useless threads. Post in threads that interest you. If you have nothing to post, but want to follow a thread, go to that thread. Click Thread Tools > Subscribe.

When visiting the forums, click SETTINGS.
    You'll see all the threads that you participated in.

That's the best advice we can give about this issue at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
    SETTINGS (at top right) > General Settings > Default Thread Subscription Mode: > Choose any subscription mode

Do not post in useless threads. Post in threads that interest you. If you have nothing to post, but want to follow a thread, go to that thread. Click Thread Tools > Subscribe.

When visiting the forums, click SETTINGS.
    You'll see all the threads that you participated in.

That's the best advice we can give about this issue at the moment.
    The problem isn't that we can't find threads. Problem is that new posters can't see/contribute to topics worth discussing. I've bumped threads a few times already but it does little against the plethora of MM rants, Russian rants, hero model rant, etc. threads that spawn in the misc section dialy. At the very least, any thread that is instalocked for being an already stickied discussion, banned discussion, balance discussion or the likes should be either deleted or moved to a junkyard forum; they don't add anything to these forums anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevante View Post
    The problem isn't that we can't find threads. Problem is that new posters can't see/contribute to topics worth discussing. I've bumped threads a few times already but it does little against the plethora of MM rants, Russian rants, hero model rant, etc. threads that spawn in the misc section dialy. At the very least, any thread that is instalocked for being an already stickied discussion, banned discussion, balance discussion or the likes should be either deleted or moved to a junkyard forum; they don't add anything to these forums anyways.
    We frequently close the rant topics you mentioned...often without posting any msg while closing so it does not get a bump while closing. However, sometimes they do warrant a closing note. If only people read the rules/sticky before creating topics...

I'll let others know that if possible, close threads without any closing msg to prevent bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by CvP View Post
    We frequently close the rant topics you mentioned...often without posting any msg while closing so it does not get a bump while closing. However, sometimes they do warrant a closing note. If only people read the rules/sticky before creating topics...

I'll let others know that if possible, close threads without any closing msg to prevent bumps.
    Said closed topics still end up misplacing threads to the second and third pages of the forums, even without closing statements. New users are not likely to check more than the first page of threads, I know I didn't when I first started using the forums. New users are also unlikely to read the stickies/rules before posting. Not to mention posters who blatantly disregard the rules/stickies and still post new threads about already discussed issues. In the end, these threads will continue to flow onto the forums regularly anyways.

At the time I wrote this post there are 8 closed threads in the first page. All of which, of course, don't add anything to the development of the game. Moving threads to a junkyard is the best possible solution; we'd appreciate if you guys at least proposed it to the devs.
    Last edited by Irrelevante; 07-12-2012 at 01:04 PM.