Thread: [Suggestion] Core Items on heros are visible on the in-game model

[Suggestion] Core Items on heros are visible on the in-game model

I'm not entirely sure that this is the right place for this, but it doesn't really belong in World / Hero Models forums, and it didn't seem like it fitted in Item Effects either.

In a nutshell, the idea is this: when you buy certain items on certain heroes, the item is visible on the world model as a cosmetic (unless you already have a cosmetic equipped in that slot).

Examples:
    Anti-Mage: When you buy Manta Style, your glaives are replaced with the Manta blades.
    Bounty Hunter: When you buy Desolator, your off-hand weapon is replaced with a Desolator.
    Nature's Prophet: Aghanim's Scepter will replace your staff.
    Axe: Reaver will replace your axe.
    Drow / Mirana / Clinkz: Eaglesong and Daedalus will replace your bow.

What are your thoughts on this, guys? I don't really see it giving away new information (since anyone competent will check what items enemies have constantly), and I think it'd be quite a nice effect to have for those players that haven't bought cosmetics.

edit: the point isn't so much that these items are absolute must buy on these heroes, it's for items that can be added to the hero model without seeming inappropriate (such as Bfury on AM).

This sort of effects balance as well, so I don't think this is the right place to post it either.
    Doing a great job Valve!

Quote Originally Posted by DeathByVoid View Post
    This sort of effects balance as well, so I don't think this is the right place to post it either.
    I haven't posted it there because it's solely a Dota 2 change, since it couldn't be done in WC3, and frankly PD is a cesspit.

Basic Member
    Well, it can't be done universally... which leads to a lack of consistency (which never looks professional). Additionally, a lot of heroes have cores/common choices which are in essence, the same item (Prophet with Guinsoo's/Aga's?). Then, there's the balance problem... with colors being skewed and items (like the Desolator) not necessarily fitting the aesthetic of the hero (BH with a large red scythe? How would it fit in with his animations?). Then, there's the issue of surprising an enemy, which doesn't sound like much... but if they can see you're carrying a brand new Vyse, they're gonna silence you first (Yes, they can click on you, but that takes focus and dexterity, which are among the measures by which Dota skill is gauged).

In the end, I think it's too much work for not enough benefit. For my part, I'm happy with the way things are.

Basic Member
    This kind of defeats the purpose of customization and user created content.