Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Confirmed] Refraction & Avalanche

[Confirmed] Refraction & Avalanche

In D1, tiny's avalanche used to deal multiple instances in small amounts of damage and kunkka's torrent used to deal a certain amount of damage followed up with a few instances of damage as they began to fall. However, in dota 2, this is not the case and there are less instances of damage. This leads to lanaya's refraction charges not being used up. I believe that these reduced number of instances could be a bug.

^bet it was due to engine limitations. but i'm not sure.

Basic Member
    For kunka it was engine limitation, I read something about tidebringer that would work uncorrectly if torrent was like in dota2.
    But for avalanche, I'm not sure that it was a limitation of the engine

i just take a look at DotA and DOTA 2 , both have level 1 Avalanche deals 25 damage every 0.25 seconds with duration of 1 seconds

[08:26.16] Tiny hits Templar Assassin with Avalanche for 18 damage (491->473).
    [08:26.16] Templar Assassin receives Avalanche debuff from Tiny.
    [08:26.43] Tiny hits Templar Assassin with Avalanche for 18 damage (473->455).
    [08:26.69] Tiny hits Templar Assassin with Avalanche for 18 damage (454->436).
    [08:26.93] Tiny hits Templar Assassin with Avalanche for 18 damage (436->418).

and this is the result for level 1 Avalanche to a level 1 Refraction

[09:13.38] Templar Assassin receives Avalanche debuff from Tiny.
    [09:14.15] Tiny hits Templar Assassin with Avalanche for 18 damage (454->436).

as you can see from the log, TA does take damage from Tiny, and losing up to 3 charges in process since Avalanche always deals 4 instance of damage (25/45/65/75), maybe your Tiny used Avalanche at TA with Refraction level more than 1? since it blocks 3/4/5/6 while Avalanche only has 4 damage instance
    Testing bugs between DOTA 2 and DotA - No Test Client
    Common Gameplay Bugs list
    Intended Gameplay Fix list
    Times quoted: OVER NINE THOUSAND

Quote Originally Posted by GothicCream View Post
    Almost of every pokemon game that have online match. 75% of player are using full legendary pokemon team with all of them being sent out from master ball. And they got pawn by Magikarp.

Basic Member
    Confirmed. Ava+toss on TA without refraction active shows:
    Code:
    [05:07.11] Tiny  hits Templar Assassin  with Avalanche for 112 damage (757->645).
    [05:07.11] Templar Assassin receives Avalanche debuff from Tiny.
    [05:07.37] Tiny  hits Templar Assassin  with Avalanche for 112 damage (645->533).
    [05:07.64] Tiny  hits Templar Assassin  with Avalanche for 112 damage (533->421).
    [05:07.87] Tiny  hits Templar Assassin  with Avalanche for 112 damage (421->309).
    [05:07.97] Tiny  hits Templar Assassin  with Toss for 270 damage (309->39).
    It seems to be combining 8 avalanche damage instances into 4. With refraction on, she could take the entire avatoss+1 autoattack without taking any damage. In WC3, with max refraction active, she takes about 400 damage from the combo after reduction.

Also, the normal toss damage and the bonus damage on the tossed unit are separate damage instances in WC3. So in WC3, a toss+ava combo could do up to 11 instances of damage (if it was timed perfectly) while in dota 2 it seems to only do 5.

Edit: upon further testing, I've come to the conclusion that tiny's combo in dota 2 is very inconsistent from WC3. It seems like toss+ava does less that ava+toss even though it would normally do the same or more. Even a standard ava+toss doesn't do as much damage as it should according to the combat log.
    Last edited by winxp; 07-14-2012 at 11:52 AM.

^confirmed for Ava+toss, only deals up to 5 damage instance on TA
    Testing bugs between DOTA 2 and DotA - No Test Client
    Common Gameplay Bugs list
    Intended Gameplay Fix list
    Times quoted: OVER NINE THOUSAND

Quote Originally Posted by GothicCream View Post
    Almost of every pokemon game that have online match. 75% of player are using full legendary pokemon team with all of them being sent out from master ball. And they got pawn by Magikarp.

Basic Member
    ok, so the interval of the damage ticks is wrong.
    adding to sticky.
    thanks for testing.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    ^it's actually not the interval of damage tick is wrong. it's avalanche when combo with toss should deal 8 ticks of damage instead of 4 ticks of doubled damage.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric37073 View Post
    ^it's actually not the interval of damage tick is wrong. it's avalanche when combo with toss should deal 8 ticks of damage instead of 4 ticks of doubled damage.
    And in WC3, toss would deal the bonus damage to the tossed unit as a separate instance of damage. Also due to buggy behavior, a perfectly timed combo had a chance to deal an extra instance of avalanche damage.

Basic Member
    thanks. updated.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage