Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain's Mode Captain

Basic Member
    Though I understand the frustration of getting a bad captain that ruins your game, a bad captain is a bad captain whether he is in your party of 4 or he is the solo. I have had a party of 4 completely ignore my requests for heroes I like and am skilled with, picking me something THEY want. It goes both ways, to give absolute power to the parties in CM would be disastrous. I would stop playing entirely if I knew I would never get to be captain. I'm a great captain, its not fair to me that playing solo means I have to play whatever the other 4 want.

If a troll team of 4 queues up, the one person gets a bad game.

1) This is a lot less likely considering what I said in my first post.
    2) The team of 4 is still having fun, right? So in this scenario the majority is having fun and the one person is unhappy, which is a lot better ratio than most AP games. It would take 4 games like this to equal the same amount of unhappy people when this happens in the current system. We all know that there is no perfect system, but since there's no way to eliminate bad captains the best we can do is reduce the odds.
    3) It isn't fair to get a bad captain when you join as 1, as it isn't fair when you join as 4. See my second point to understand why it's better to reduce the chances of "not fair" when you can't eliminate it.

If this change is made, your queue time for CM games will triple because there won't be any solo players.
    All of my friends and I all stopped playing CM (unless we get 5) because there's a 50-50 chance we're going to get a random captain who is likely ignoring us. Judging by the +1s in this thread we're probably not the only ones.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DamageInq View Post
    If a troll team of 4 queues up, the one person gets a bad game.

1) This is a lot less likely considering what I said in my first post.
    2) The team of 4 is still having fun, right? So in this scenario the majority is having fun and the one person is unhappy, which is a lot better ratio than most AP games. It would take 4 games like this to equal the same amount of unhappy people when this happens in the current system. We all know that there is no perfect system, but since there's no way to eliminate bad captains the best we can do is reduce the odds.
    3) It isn't fair to get a bad captain when you join as 1, as it isn't fair when you join as 4. See my second point to understand why it's better to reduce the chances of "not fair" when you can't eliminate it.

All of my friends and I all stopped playing CM (unless we get 5) because there's a 50-50 chance we're going to get a random captain who is likely ignoring us. Judging by the +1s in this thread we're probably not the only ones.
    You are assuming that the stack getting captain makes them a good captain, which is completely incorrect. They are less objected to, due to them getting their pals what they want, that does not make them good. That does not make the captain selection process fair. Captain's Mode is not exclusively for stacks, a philosophy of "well the 4 are still having fun!" is selfish. Making the stack get captain by default is not "reducing the odds" of a bad captain, it will have no effect other than the stack being happy.

By removing any chance of having input as a solo player (I can't count the number of times the stack on my team doesn't speak english), you give me a 100% chance of having an experience that isn't fun. Get a fifth player in your stack if you want absolute power.

Basic Member
    Why not adding an option when queuing, whether to want to be captain or not.

Often, when i play alone, and i'm searching for CM i end up as captain with a stack of 3 or 4 players, which often do have a very straight game plan.

Due to the fact, that a lot of people on the Europe Server, do not want, or can't write English, this ends up as a disaster, most often.

It would be nice, to not need to be the captain, if you are not in the mood, or just simply don't want to.

I'm pretty sure, a lot of people do not even want to be captain with a 4-stack, but they don't have any other choice, if they want to play with bans.

i wouldn't appreciate removing the option to be a captain, when you are searching alone.

If someone wants to be the captain, he also will use some areas of his brain, to do some bans/picks which the team wants/need, and communicate with it.

+1 happeds all time fix this!

There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KuKKi View Post
    Why not adding an option when queuing, whether to want to be captain or not.

Often, when i play alone, and i'm searching for CM i end up as captain with a stack of 3 or 4 players, which often do have a very straight game plan.

Due to the fact, that a lot of people on the Europe Server, do not want, or can't write English, this ends up as a disaster, most often.

It would be nice, to not need to be the captain, if you are not in the mood, or just simply don't want to.

I'm pretty sure, a lot of people do not even want to be captain with a 4-stack, but they don't have any other choice, if they want to play with bans.

i wouldn't appreciate removing the option to be a captain, when you are searching alone.

If someone wants to be the captain, he also will use some areas of his brain, to do some bans/picks which the team wants/need, and communicate with it.
    The option would be nice as long as the queue doesn't try to match 'want to be captain' with 'do not want to be captain' (this seems like it would add to the queue times).

If you get a match like that, good; but if multiples want to be captain then go back to the party size gets priority suggestion I originally made.

In other words - combine this with my original idea.

+1 hate when this happens.

1- You're the exception to most solo queuers.
    Bullshit. You're assuming that even though MM puts an equally skilled player at your team's 5th slot, he's a worse captain than you are. Your assumption is wrong. That proverbial door swings both ways. Solo players are also gambling wether or not they'll get a good captain, why should they get the shit end of the stick over your party?

I queue mostly with 4, and so far have not had the 5th be a good captain (out of probably 10 games where we didn't get captain). I'd have no problem having you be the captain on my team if you were competent and listened to suggestions, but that's not normally the case. You have to look at the entire community, not just yourself.
    a) MIDs or didn't happen.
    b) Disregard "a" since any anecdotal evidence you provide is minuscule -and therefore disregardable- compared to the total played CM games.

2- 1 person happy vs 4 people happy. This should be obvious which is better. My team queues up with me in the captain slot because every one of them would like me to make the picks.
    None is better than the other. Solos honestly cannot care less about your party. If your members are so hell bent on having you as captain then get that 5th player.

3- Captain's mode is the most team/group oriented mode out of all of them, it should be rewarding to join as a group.
    Knowing the playstyle of 3 out of 4 of your teammates is not rewarding enough?

Your personal win % doesn't directly correspond with your ability to pick heroes.
    Neither does the size of your party.

Dare I sat it? Sure...
    Do it like HoN, everyone picks their own hero, but the "captain" bans the heroes, then it will take the best from both worlds.
    I always end up, if the mates im match making with aren't captain, with 5 carries. It gets really old, really fast. Just saying...

Basic Member
    oh, i was searching for a thread like this
    +1
    The captain should be the lead of the biggest party in the team. No exeptions.
    The teams usually have their thougths about hero comboes they can pull off, heroes they good at.
    If one random guy will pick what he wants, the party will most likely troll him. And whats worse, he can troll the party or just be expirienced 'Barby and her shitty pony' player.
    Also theres an issue with *wow I found a game now ill go smoke and eat* captains. Its unmeasurabely annoying.
    Also disconnects of the captain during drafting usually lead to waste of nerves and 40 mins of time. In that cases pick rigths should go to the next player or the game must pause with disability to communicate.

Basic Member
    if its done randomly i think its fine the way it is. just because a player is solo queuing doesn't mean he shouldn't get the chance to captain a match. plus if he's playing with a 4-man squad then the chances of him being a captain is 1/5, so it is fair to say the least