Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 60

Thread: Captain's Mode Captain

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevante View Post
    @Destructoboy

    Be honest. Are you 12?
    you didnt answer my question!
    and No i am not 12 or anywhere near that. Now seriously, are you a girl?

    FIX MMR POINTS TO BE AWARDED FOR INDIVUDUAL PERFORMANCE RATHER THAN WHOLE TEAM SHARING THE FATE FOR THE FEEDER AND VICE VERSA. SO THAT YOU CAN HAVE +VE MMR POINTS EVEN AFTER A LOSS IF YOU DID REALLY WELL.
    ADD THE SURRENDER BUTTON SO THE CRUSHED TEAM DOES NOT WASTE >10 MINS AFK AT FOUNTAIN
    ADD SIZE CUSTOMIZATION FOR THE HUD.

  2. #42
    Basic Member Irrelevante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Destructoboy View Post
    you didnt answer my question!
    and No i am not 12 or anywhere near that. Now seriously, are you a girl?
    Why does it matter?

  3. #43
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    48
    It seems unnecessary and childish make gender/age assumptions in a dev forum... This should be discussing the pro/cons of my suggestion, not an argument and definitely not personal.



    Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevante View Post
    Bullshit. You're assuming that even though MM puts an equally skilled player at your team's 5th slot, he's a worse captain than you are. Your assumption is wrong. That proverbial door swings both ways. Solo players are also gambling wether or not they'll get a good captain, why should they get the shit end of the stick over your party?
    Game skill is balanced by matchmaking and not part of my discussion. By mentioning draft skill I'm referring mostly to communication. The likeliness of the leader of a group of 4 to be able to communicate with his team is a lot higher than a solo queuer. He will almost always speak the same language as at least 3 of his teammates, so if there's a situation where 1 person cannot communicate with the other 4 (which we know happens a lot in this game) at least 4 of the players can still get heroes they are comfortable with.

    It's funny you mention gambling, because it helps my point. Right now EVERYBODY is gambling for the captain. If you solo queue and get the shit end of the stick, it's still better than 4 people queuing together and getting the shit end of the stick. 1 shitty stick is better than 4. My whole point of made off of odds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevante View Post
    a) MIDs or didn't happen.
    b) Disregard "a" since any anecdotal evidence you provide is minuscule -and therefore disregardable- compared to the total played CM games.
    These are completely unnecessary. See the other posts in the thread where other people have experienced this. My point is still valid without history.

    Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevante View Post
    None is better than the other. Solos honestly cannot care less about your party. If your members are so hell bent on having you as captain then get that 5th player.
    We got a 5th, thanks. We can't enjoy captain's mode if somebodies not online, that's why I made this suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevante View Post
    Knowing the playstyle of 3 out of 4 of your teammates is not rewarding enough?
    Knowing the playstyle of 3 out of 4 of your teammates is WHY you should be given captain. Again, your points are all x4 when you put them on my side.

    Quote Originally Posted by Irrelevante View Post
    Neither does the size of your party.
    All of your points are missing my original point. I use generalizations to make my point, don't take them literally.

    Again, any downside to giving the largest party the captain is countered by the EXACT same downsides to the current system. The likeliness of getting somebody that will listen is increase (because he's probably in Skype or knows some other players in some way). He is more likely to know what some of the players on his team like to play. He is more likely to go in with a strategy that his team agrees with. And his team is more likely to agree with his picks.

    So before you say that the solo queuer should have a 50% chance of getting captain over 4 grouped players, understand that bad things can happen either way, but are less LIKELY to happen if the group gets the queue.
    Last edited by DamageInq; 07-25-2012 at 08:03 AM.

  4. #44
    Basic Member Vulpes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    343
    Player with highest MMR should be captain no matter whether he solo queued or went in with a 4-man-lock.
    The random system is dumb. Always making 3-person-locks of terrible terrible players captains wouldn't be any better.

  5. #45
    Basic Member chojje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    642
    This thread is about the same issue and explains the reason for the problem: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=37939

  6. #46
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by chojje View Post
    This thread is about the same issue and explains the reason for the problem: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=37939
    I saw this thread in my search.

    I know my post addresses the fact that a group gets the same odds as any solos that they're queued with. The difference is I'm stating that the group more often then not will have better communication, thus suggesting giving the largest group the captain slot would help more often then it would hurt.

  7. #47
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5
    +1

  8. #48
    I can't believe some of the arguments on this thread... Think of it this way(to make it REALLY simple for you):

    You queue on US WEST server, with 3 English speaking friends and yourself. You get a random who gets captain(50% of the time) and he speaks Portuguese only. He bans who he dislikes(most generally 5 invis heroes), then picks completely random heroes(or heroes you don't have experience with)since he obviously cannot read what you're suggesting to him. What do you do about this? Can there be a vote to switch captain? Can you give up captain to someone else? Will you at the VERY LEAST give each player a 20% chance to get captain, instead of how it is? What about people who queue up with no game plan? I assume most people who queue together have some sort of strategy they can go by... Maybe in Skype or use voice chat in game.

    If you go with the suggested idea... You have 4 people speaking the same language and 1 random. You have your 4 picks, 4 people to suggest bans and 1 outcast(who can still put in their input and still have a good game)

    I could go through all of my matches and link the ones where my 4 queued team misses 5 bans if you want. I think there are 2 games in my match history and a few where the first 1-3 picks are missed.

  9. #49
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    48
    Bump

  10. #50
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    149
    +1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •