Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: You have to pay to watch?

Basic Member
    Stop being dumb pal. Paying for the tournament directly supports the tournament organizers. Valve has already stated this was implemented to help dota 2 grow as an E-sports. So if the organisers can recoup their money this way, prize money will be bigger and there will be more tournaments!
    I doubt Valve takes much from these tournament ticket.
    Stop crying OP, people like you makes me cringe.

Basic Member
    I don't know why you say you doubt Valve takes much from these tournament tickets. My best guess would be they take a 75% split as they do with workshop items for TF2 and Dota 2. And if that is the case I would like to see it be closer to a 50% split so that the tournament is a better investment for potential sponsors and tournament creators, thus leading to bigger and better tournaments.

Basic Member
    If you don't want to pay to watch the tournament games, watch the streams or VODs.. Like me..

Basic Member
    At the beginning, I didn't like it at all, because my basic opinion is that every player should be able to watch up2date professional replays. That's pushing the level of the whole scene and is giving new players the chance to improve fast.

After purchasing a tournament pass to Defense II, I realized that this feature is really great and wasn't available before at all, usually you had no chance (or just on rare occasions) to get this tournament replays (because they all are private games with limited spectators). I really enjoy the commentaries of different casters build into the replays / live games while you watch the action yourself in your client, a long awaited feature in e-sports. Don't get me wrong, streamers are cool too, but a lot of fans want exactly this: Audio commentary while watching ingame!

So I changed my opinion: I think it's OK to charge a small amount for instant ingame access to a big tournament as long as there is another possibility to watch it free (e. g. live stream of a commentator or player).

But one thing I would like to see in future is, that access to finished tournaments/replays is free after some period of time.
    Last edited by Sieg0r; 07-26-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Banned
    In my opinion, its completely fair to charge money for watching.
    But.
    It should not be completely restricted. After all this game is FREE2PLAY. All those replays must be available after tournaments end.
    Its really unfair to forbid to watch INGAME content.

Basic Member
    Clearly missing the point: free to play.

What's stopping you from watching casts?

I don't understand why you would complain about this. Just watch a stream if you don't want to pay, it's what everybody did before dota TV and it's what most people are still doing anyways. Paying for tickets to watch tourneys is just a way to support the guys organizing these things and get some extra features.

As for items and the like, if you honestly can't deal with somebody having some items on their hero I don't know what's wrong with you. If people want to pay for these things, they will, and telling them they're idiots for falling into some trap is pretty silly.

Basic Member
    Disagreed with OP 100000% and over 9000.

You say you would bay pay a monthly fee, but not for watching tournaments? That is the dumbest thing I ever read...... I would NOT pay a monthly fee, never ever, for a game: it is just silly. Supporting the community and tournaments by paying to watch official game (especially since most are not expensive) is a good way to make Esport go forward, people pay to go watch football or others sports match, some people even have specific subscriptions to watch leagues matches and so on on their TV. If we want Esport to go to the next step and be considered more seriously by peoples, then this is the way to go.
    And cosmetic items doesn't ruin each and every chat lobby, most of the traders are in "trade" channels and I hope Valve will find a way to encourage them to only trade in those channels soon. Plus we just talked about trade: which means cosmetics items can be get for free (dropped, traded) so I don't even see your point about paying for those is bad since you don't have to, and since anyway you're ready to pa a monthly fee... u can just use this money to purchase something once a month...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdstick View Post
    Clearly missing the point: free to play.

What's stopping you from watching casts?
    Most of the items can be obtained without paying. Why tickets wouldnt?

Basic Member
    the replays should be free after some point of time like 1 month