Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: You have to pay to watch?

  1. #1
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5

    You have to pay to watch?

    Hello there...
    Ever since it has been announced that Dota 2 will be free to play I disliked the concept. And now its more than enough. You want to charge money for watching games? Thats unacceptable in my opinion. I would pay a one time fee, i would even pay a monthly fee, why we have to endure this? You are starting to make Dota 2 worse than HoN or LoL. With the item store and the introduction of the items you made it impossible to chat in the public chatrooms and now you come up with a fee if I want to watch a tournament game? What cheek! It's just another "how do I get the most money out of it" shit.... Free to play sounds good at first but in the end its only a cloak for "you gonna pay more like this". I'm really dissapointed with Valve and Icefrog too. You pretend to make the best for the community and stuff but in the end its all about profit again. I can only hope for Blizzard Dota now

  2. #2
    Basic Member Kakkoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada! RAWR
    Posts
    467
    Free to play allows the user base to grow a lot bigger, plain and simple. The items that you can buy and also FIND FOR FREE don't give any advantages, and the tickets to watch games are hella cheap. Paying a monthly fee would cost you a damn lot more in the long run than a small fee a couple times a year for the rare tournament that goes on. Regular playing matches are free to watch. Those ticket sales help support competitions like that, so stop complaining.
    D̶̪̏̇͛͂̈̊̏O̬͉̱̭̤̐ͤ͝T̥̼̗̦̯͙ͣ͐ͮͨ͛̐Ä̩̣̖̘̖͍̹͐ͮ̊ͣ̆̎ ̗͖̘̲̝͔̅͐̀̎͗͌̐2̢̔̄ͭ̋͌̾

  3. #3
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5
    I dont care about the money. Its just that i feel kinda ripped off. To make the user base a lot bigger you say? Most of the nice new users will be big idiots, who wont even play if you had to pay for it. If you had to pay a one time fee there would be less users maybe. But only people who want to play the game. Now its like HoN, where every second user isnt interested in playing at all. They just want to annoy and flame. And you cant deny that the chats grew useless. You cant even see normal messages due to the massive spam. Support tournaments you say? You kidding right? The money of the tournament tickets goes right into Gabes pockets.... Tournaments like that fund mainly out of sponsorship. Just imagine, when you buy your ticket the tournament is already running. You think they pay afterwards or what? Watching should be always free.

  4. #4
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    709
    there is already a thread. search ftw

    DotA2 Tournaments PayPerView

  5. #5
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    133
    Can't you watch the games in a bunch of other ways? I was under the impression that you were paying for a higher quality stream with extra features, not paying just to watch the match.

  6. #6
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by weebletns View Post
    Can't you watch the games in a bunch of other ways? I was under the impression that you were paying for a higher quality stream with extra features, not paying just to watch the match.
    Streams are still free. The tickets are for viewing ingame.

    But the OP mashes to much into one rant

  7. #7
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    267
    F2P doesn't mean the company doesn't need money to develop and maintain the game. They have costs and need profit, obviously, because they are a company!

    The F2P model lets the player decide how much he wants to pay. It is even better with Dota 2, since there is only cosmetic itens in the store. Of course, some players will not spend a single cent with the game, but others will spend hundreds of dollars.

    About the main reason of this topic, you still can watch the tournaments on streams, like the ones available at joinDota and GosuGamers. By buying the ticket you are supporting the tournament, and therefore the whole e-sports. You'll also have permanent access to the replays inside the client, with all the different cameras and audio channels to you switch at your will. The prices are pretty reasonable too.

  8. #8
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by FleshHeap View Post
    Hello there...
    Ever since it has been announced that Dota 2 will be free to play I disliked the concept. And now its more than enough. You want to charge money for watching games? Thats unacceptable in my opinion. I would pay a one time fee, i would even pay a monthly fee, why we have to endure this? You are starting to make Dota 2 worse than HoN or LoL. With the item store and the introduction of the items you made it impossible to chat in the public chatrooms and now you come up with a fee if I want to watch a tournament game? What cheek! It's just another "how do I get the most money out of it" shit.... Free to play sounds good at first but in the end its only a cloak for "you gonna pay more like this". I'm really dissapointed with Valve and Icefrog too. You pretend to make the best for the community and stuff but in the end its all about profit again. I can only hope for Blizzard Dota now
    Quote Originally Posted by FleshHeap View Post
    I dont care about the money. Its just that i feel kinda ripped off. To make the user base a lot bigger you say? Most of the nice new users will be big idiots, who wont even play if you had to pay for it. If you had to pay a one time fee there would be less users maybe. But only people who want to play the game. Now its like HoN, where every second user isnt interested in playing at all. They just want to annoy and flame. And you cant deny that the chats grew useless. You cant even see normal messages due to the massive spam. Support tournaments you say? You kidding right? The money of the tournament tickets goes right into Gabes pockets.... Tournaments like that fund mainly out of sponsorship. Just imagine, when you buy your ticket the tournament is already running. You think they pay afterwards or what? Watching should be always free.
    You are not alone.

  9. #9
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Makal View Post
    Of course, some players will not spend a single cent with the game, but others will spend hundreds of dollars.
    Well exactly thats what they are after. The poor idiots buying masses of items and stuff. Like this they get way more money than they would if they take a one time fee. But the community suffers like this. I played many online games in my life and i can tell that F2P always ruins the community. In games like dota however, the community is very important. I love the Dota 2 gameplay, no question, but what is it worth if they people you play with are idiots? I'm not talking about noobs or something. You cant doom somebody because he plays bad. But if he only comes online to mess up the games for others then he doesnt deserve to play this game.
    How solve this problem? Simple.... Just take a one time fee and remove such bullshit like an in game item shop. If theyd have to pay 50$ they would look out for another game where they can mess up. And why, please tell me why, is there an item shop. I just dont get it. Who needs it? It hasnt to do anything with Dota. But still I see the massive trading spam. Still I get confused by the new look of the heroes. It just doesnt fit at all. I want to be able to see with one look what is going on. And I dont want to have to determine which hero im facing right now, because the new fancy item set lets him look totally different.

    You talk about they have to make profit? They would make profit with one time fee too. But not as much as they do with this concept. A real good example where greed makes something really good absolutely bad. Greed doesnt help you while playing Dota too....

    \\Edit:
    I'm sorry for opening a new thread btw. Could be deleted. I will stick to the existing one.
    Last edited by FleshHeap; 07-17-2012 at 05:38 PM.

  10. #10
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by FleshHeap View Post
    Well exactly thats what they are after. The poor idiots buying masses of items and stuff. Like this they get way more money than they would if they take a one time fee. But the community suffers like this. I played many online games in my life and i can tell that F2P always ruins the community. In games like dota however, the community is very important. I love the Dota 2 gameplay, no question, but what is it worth if they people you play with are idiots? I'm not talking about noobs or something. You cant doom somebody because he plays bad. But if he only comes online to mess up the games for others then he doesnt deserve to play this game.
    How solve this problem? Simple.... Just take a one time fee and remove such bullshit like an in game item shop. If theyd have to pay 50$ they would look out for another game where they can mess up. And why, please tell me why, is there an item shop. I just dont get it. Who needs it? It hasnt to do anything with Dota. But still I see the massive trading spam. Still I get confused by the new look of the heroes. It just doesnt fit at all. I want to be able to see with one look what is going on. And I dont want to have to determine which hero im facing right now, because the new fancy item set lets him look totally different.

    You talk about they have to make profit? They would make profit with one time fee too. But not as much as they do with this concept. A real good example where greed makes something really good absolutely bad. Greed doesnt help you while playing Dota too....

    \\Edit:
    I'm sorry for opening a new thread btw. Could be deleted. I will stick to the existing one.
    If game wasn't free to play, most people (especially asians) would stick to Dota 1 and LOL, period.

    Dota 2 would have a minimal presence as the majority of the millions of players who play Dota 1 and LOL wouldn't buy it.

    Paying for private third party tournaments which supports competitors and organizers sounds fair.
    As I said most tournaments are organized from third parties which have no obligation at all in making their games public.

    Skyrk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •