Thread: Unable to update Dota 2 since last update

Arrow Unable to update Dota 2 since last update

The last update had something about "reconfiguring files". After that, there is a 21MB patch. However, steam cant download that patch (160 kb / 21MB). Steam keeps using FULL bandwidth for hours but download does not progress.

Tried methods:
    • changing download server
    • using different ip region (using vpn)
    • deleting staging folder
    • uninstalling dota 2 beta
    • deleting all dota 2 related files
    Note: if dota 2 is uninstalled, the the download process gets stuck just like the patch; at 0%.

Finally, if I start dota2 using the exe file (not through steam), it works. But I'm afraid it wont work after the next update unless this problem is fixed.

I am not the only one facing this problem.

I have the same problem. Cant update dota2 atm. Btw, is there any command in console with which I can check the current version?
    Last edited by EeRi3; 09-16-2011 at 07:14 AM.
    Always set the trail, Never follow the path!

Basic Member
    Typing "version" in the console shows the build to be from September 8th for me, looks like Steam didn't update my client to the September 15th build as well.

Basic Member
    I'm also having the same problem. When I tried reinstalling, it just installed a 1.4 MB patch from last week, not the 2.5 GB game.

Basic Member
    There is no update yet, IceFrog said it would be postponed till today.

This problem needs to be fixed asap because many people don't know about this site and they don't know that they can run dota2 using the exe file. Steam simply wont let run dota2 and the update wont complete no matter what (while still eating up 100% bandwidth).

Hi CvP. This is 2point4.

Give this a shot:

1. Completely exit out of Steam
    2. Navigate to ..\Steam\steamapps
    3. Locate and remove the following files: dota 2 beta client.ncf, dota 2 beta content.ncf, dota 2 beta win32 content.ncf
    4. Launch Steam

At this point, Dota 2 Beta should show up as uninstalled. Right-click on it and select Install. It won't download the entire Dota 2 client again, so don't worry. Steam will see what is already downloaded and installed and only grab new/changed files.

For other games on Steam, this process works when you have a stuck download. Hopefully it'll help you out here. Let me know.

I personally did not try this out but one of my buddies (Flame; Playdota Mod) have the same problem and he tried this (as suggested by me). Did not help.

Anyways, after the new update, I am able to complete the update (111MB) however the update speed was slow as hell. super slow. like 56kbps modem.
    Again, I tried multiple vpns and differnt steam servers.

Now I have the latest update. Everything works except when I try to join a game (MM, Prac, Replay), the game crashes to desktop after loading ends.

Edit: fixed by rechecking the files.
    EeRi3's problem is fixed too.
    Need to confirm with Flame is his problem is solved or not.
    Last edited by CvP; 09-16-2011 at 12:57 PM.

I also pass the same but you have to wait about 5 to 10 minutes and the download resumes just have to wait a minute.