Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Naga Siren Lore

Quote Originally Posted by The_Codfish View Post
    Anyway, as for Slithice's race, considering that one of her spawning lines actually says "Naga Siren", maybe Naga is a specific "sub-race" for her people. At the risk of over-complicating things, I'd say the Meranthic Diaspora is a collective term for all underwater races, the Deep Ones are Slithice and Slardar's race, the Slitherene Guard is what their army is called (probably because of their serpentine forms), and Naga is the name for Slithice's "species". Maybe.
    Just gonna pull a quote from Tidehunter's lore here:

Far less is known of the submarine lanes, and how the warring tribes of the Meranthic Diaspora have carved out habitations through endless undersea skirmishes.
    A diaspora is a vast racial migration from their homeland into that of another. Is it possible that the phrase Meranth is used to refer to the Slitherene/Nagas like we've suggested, and that they were forced to invade on the home waters of the levianths, or Tidehunter's race? This would help support the theory that the phrase "Meranth" is used to refer to a ceratin group of underwater races, such as the Nagas and Slitherenes, and it is also possible that this war between the Slitherene Guard (Slitherene may be just the name of a race among the collective "Meranth" title) and the levianths culminated in the Battle of Crey?

I hope that makes sense. I'm terrible at getting my point acrosss.

Basic Member
    IMO
    I LOVE THE NEW SIREN so pretty ^_^ she was my first and favourite hero in dota
    i had so much doubts about her remake because of her ugliness in dota 1
    I say the Naga has no more relevance to her and shouldn't be used with her name anymore, they should of used the freedom to free her from that name :I
    Her lore i would say is a gender way of pronouncing the term?

Propose they make her Siren or something siren.

The4thSniporr: Leviathan's Lore indicates he was "part" of the politics between the Mer and Men, which is why I assume 'levianths' are part of the Mer people. Levianths are just a kind of Mer who worship Maelrawn, and Tidehunter is levianth who devoted himself to completely worshipping his god. A 'hermit', in a way.

Darkinub: You do know what a Naga is? It's completely relevant to her.

Considering that Siren has a slightly smaller version of Slardar's lure-light, I think it's safe to say that they're very closely related, if not the same race completely.

Just saying, about the Sceptre stuff:
    Aghanims might just be a legend that every race everywhere knows about (bit like Atlantis in our world, or the holy grail). It is also entirely possible that Aghanims is one of the creators of the world (or plane) DOTA2 takes place in, meaning he'd be a god, semigod, deity, youknowwhat.
    There's also the chance Aghanims is just a man that travelled far, had lots of different children and did some awesome stuff. Everywhere.

First, we must take into consideration that the names came before the stories. What thedevelopers did with the stories was to use a similarity in what is said to be a race (in the case Levianth). There was no way to be different, because giving the name of Leviathan to a whole race would take the name of the personality of Tidehunter.

That said,

Issue relating to the race of the Hero Slithice:

It is clear that Slithereen and Slitherene are the same. It was just a typo (we must ask them to fix it). Both the history of Slardar and Slithice there is a reference to a guard: the Slithereen (ene) Guard.

In both stories (Slardar and Slithice), the Slithereen Guard protects the Deep Ones (who are the members of Slithereen [ene] race - other way of calling themselves) and its treasures buried.

And the fact that more evidence the issue of race: the story of Slardar says that "the Slithereen Guard carries his lure with hin-light through the secret treasure rooms." The Hero Slithice have one of these lures, see the picture I posted in another topic:

Why The Hero Slithice was different?

The Hero Slithice was a Slithereen (ene) Guard commander. One of the "high-sworn", "most highly esteemed of her race (Slithereen [ene])."

Before continuing the "Why", take a look in the etymology of the word Slithereen:

slither (v.) O.E. slidrian "to slide on a loose slope," a frequentative form of slidan "to slide" (see slide). Meaning "to walk in a sliding Manner" is attested from 1848. In reference to reptile motion, attested from 1839. Related: slithered; slithering.
    Remember Racial (or sexual) dimorphism previously mentioned? Beings of the same race do not necessarily looks the same. An interesting reference can be taken from a raceof D&D RPG: Yuan-ti. There are several Yuan-ti. They are all part of the same race. What happens is that the closer the shapes of a snake, purer is it's blood. The same can happen with race Slithereen (eme), but in reverse.

http://images.wikia.com/forgottenrea...-_Sam_Wood.jpg

See more details here: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Yuan-ti

The Hero Slithice was different because the dimorphism occurs within species. They all share the same blood, but they have different varieties within the breed. Of course, all varieties share several traits.

So, Naga Siren was a commander of a battalion of "Slardar like" soldiers.

The title "Naga Siren" is easer to explain:

"Siren" is from the fact she use her voice in battle.
    "Naga" is a title of reverence for seeming a human-like snake (or snake-like human).
    Last edited by LinoPaladino; 07-19-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thyL View Post
    Just saying, about the Sceptre stuff:
    Aghanims might just be a legend that every race everywhere knows about (bit like Atlantis in our world, or the holy grail). It is also entirely possible that Aghanims is one of the creators of the world (or plane) DOTA2 takes place in, meaning he'd be a god, semigod, deity, youknowwhat.
    There's also the chance Aghanims is just a man that travelled far, had lots of different children and did some awesome stuff. Everywhere.
    I like the idea that Aghanim simply made something that is simply incredibly versatile in the task of improving one's true talent, and that in his travels he'd share the craft arts in exchange for knowledge from the visited places. Basically make Rubick be similar to his father in that he likes traveling. Siren calls the scepter a "conducter's baton", she's giving the scepter itself a much different kind of use than any other hero does, meaning its exact use isn't static, it depends on the user.

When gunpowder was introduced, people feared the other side would get their hands on some guns themselves. That only made it all more profitable for underground markets to do just that. Now take Magical artifacts as weapons and apply that to Dota. So it makes sense that the deep races going over a sunken ship's spoils would suddenly realize the precious magical cargo that was being transported was actually excellent when put to use against the surface races. One item that in anyone's hands makes that anyone better at being themselves would certainly attract attention.

There's also the idea that the battle we see in Dota never happened and this is just a "what if" battle royal among a bunch of heroes that lived a different periods of that world and that fought over different sets of ancients and that the items are merely applied in a balanced way where you can pretend anyone can use any for the same benefit and that... well, THAT theory.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkinub View Post
    IMO
    I LOVE THE NEW SIREN so pretty ^_^ she was my first and favourite hero in dota
    i had so much doubts about her remake because of her ugliness in dota 1
    I say the Naga has no more relevance to her and shouldn't be used with her name anymore, they should of used the freedom to free her from that name :I
    Her lore i would say is a gender way of pronouncing the term?

Propose they make her Siren or something siren.
    Actually she is now less siren and more naga, I must remember you that sirens are winged creatures and nagas are sea serpents.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LinoPaladino View Post
    It is clear that Slithereen and Slitherene are the same. It was just a typo (we must ask them to fix it). Both the history of Slardar and Slithice there is a reference to a guard: the Slithereen (ene) Guard.
    I don't think it is a typo, you see they are pronounced different by the voice actors; in Warcraft 3 Slithereen is pronounced so that it rhymes with Aghanim, but Slitherene is pronounced so that it rhymes with Scepter (thats a vowel rhyme not a consonant rhyme, for versed folk.)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cab View Post
    I don't think it is a typo, you see they are pronounced different by the voice actors; in Warcraft 3 Slithereen is pronounced so that it rhymes with Aghanim, but Slitherene is pronounced so that it rhymes with Scepter (thats a vowel rhyme not a consonant rhyme, for versed folk.)
    It's a typo, Slitherene has been changed to Slithereen, at least in her lore on the heropedia.
    Quote Originally Posted by daed View Post
    This is another example as to why the developers should never seriously take in consideration any post on the dev forums.