Page 26 of 82 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 814

Thread: Dota 2 Match History WebAPI

  1. #251
    Basic Member MuppetMaster42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato View Post
    Anyway, I think the HTML5 approach is the best implementation we can get for fast and accurate tower status that is also very nice to look at, thanks to your icons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazze View Post
    This indeed seems like the best solution so far. All processing is done client side, and it is fast! Setting the map itself as the background in the canvas div works perfectly, no more bugs
    IMO you want to avoid relying completely on javascript to display something.
    If i were you, i'd whip up some form of css positioning that you can fall back on in the case that the client can't handle the JS for some reason - you can always remove the css, etc with your JS.
    Last edited by MuppetMaster42; 08-09-2012 at 07:29 AM.

  2. #252
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    51
    <lobby_type>4</lobby_type>

  3. #253
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by MuppetMaster42 View Post
    IMO you want to avoid relying completely on javascript to display something.
    If i were you, i'd whip up some form of css positioning that you can fall back on in the case that the client can't handle the JS for some reason - you can always remove the css, etc with your JS.
    I disagree. JS is no problem at all, virtually any browser can handle it. HTML5 we might agree on, but then again, most browsers support it. I have tested Chrome, Firefox, Opera and the latest IE; They all seem to do just fine.

    CSS positioning is not good for this kind of thing, it would be way too much of a hassle, and there would be more compatibility issues as browsers handle CSS differently.

    Even my phone displays the current HTML5/JS solution perfectly:

  4. #254
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12
    this was maybe answered already but sorry, there's 26 pages in this thread. can someone explain me how to retrieve steamID by given account_id or vice versa. thanks

    p.s. why don't you just use steamID 64 instead of giving every player new numbers?

  5. #255
    Basic Member Kraivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    523
    New patch?

  6. #256
    Basic Member Shinkai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    186
    I disagree. JS is no problem at all, virtually any browser can handle it.
    And there are people like me who walk with noscript, disallowing the javascript on un-trusted sites. It is not the browser handling capability nowadays but the user disallowing JS.

    I prefer html5/css over javascript if it is possible to be done with somewhat reasonable amount of code required compared to JS counterpart.

  7. #257
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Smrth View Post
    this was maybe answered already but sorry, there's 26 pages in this thread. can someone explain me how to retrieve steamID by given account_id or vice versa. thanks

    p.s. why don't you just use steamID 64 instead of giving every player new numbers?
    If you are using PHP, use the following in case your server is running 64-bit:

    PHP Code:
    function getAccountID($steam_id){ 
        
    $account_id substr(decbin($steam_id), 32); 
        
    $account_id bindec($account_id); 
         
        return 
    $account_id


  8. #258
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkai View Post
    And there are people like me who walk with noscript, disallowing the javascript on un-trusted sites. It is not the browser handling capability nowadays but the user disallowing JS.

    I prefer html5/css over javascript if it is possible to be done with somewhat reasonable amount of code required compared to JS counterpart.
    It can be done in html5/css, but it is completely unnecessary in my opinion. As you pointed out yourself, it is more often than not the user who prevents JS from running on the site, and therefore it is the users own problem. My opinion would have been completely different if it was a browser problem, but it isn't. People who run noscript are a minority, in web development, you don't develop based on the minority. You develop for the majority of people who are likely to visit your site. In this case, I would bet that most of the people who visit a Dota 2 stats site are running on a new browser, and have JS enabled.

    By your logic, we should also revert to html4 and css2 because there is a chance that some people still run IE6, and in that case it would be even harder, if not impossible to do without GD.

    EDIT: Done with edits, lol.
    Last edited by Lazze; 08-09-2012 at 03:50 PM.

  9. #259
    Basic Member Shinkai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    186
    I didn't mean that at all. Just pointing out that it is the users, not the browser (unless using really old software who shouldn't even be supported in the first place). Obviously it is users own problem, just a little note saying 'this site requires javascript to function properly' would be sufficient. I wouldn't even know about such "Show/hide Tower Status" feature on your site if I didn't allow JS to see the button. (hint hint )
    Last edited by Shinkai; 08-09-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: editing..

  10. #260
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkai View Post
    I didn't mean that at all. Just pointing out that it is the users, not the browser (unless using really old software who shouldn't even be supported in the first place). Obviously it is users own problem, just a little note saying 'this site requires javascript to function properly' would be sufficient. I wouldn't even know about such "Show/hide Tower Status" feature on your site if I didn't allow JS to see the button. (hint hint )
    I agree. The user should be able to see that such function exists, and it can be activated by enabling JS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •