Page 42 of 82 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Dota 2 Match History WebAPI

Quote Originally Posted by d07.RiV View Post
    Not to mention it is quite weird to use a server just for duplicating api calls (even if it does caching and whatnot). That's what valve's servers are for.
    You could always just modify your app so it does some form of fetch-and-parse from dotabuff... they've got servers already :P

having a server also allows you to do some easy form of usage tracking.
    also it safe-guards against times where valve takes the API down for extended periods without a single post telling it's eagerly waiting users why it's gone down/when it'll be back...

it's been about 11 days with no word and lots of 503's... please tell us something!

DOTA 2 WebAPI Status

From the Dota 2 Development Team:

As some of you have noticed, the WebAPI is currently inaccessible. What happened was that we were seeing such an overwhelming demand from people for this information that our servers were getting completely bogged down servicing all of these requests. None of the behavior we saw was malicious, there was just way too much demand and unfortunately it really started impacting the experience of general DOTA players and therefore we had to disable it for now. This is of course super interesting information and we want to make it as available to as many people as we possibly can and we are working on a couple of solutions to help greatly improve the situation so we can handle more requests, but canít give any definitive time frame for when these will be brought online. We will keep you posted as things develop, but hopefully our solutions will let us have our cake and eat it too (after all not all cakes are a lie).

As a side note though, if people are developing against this API, make sure to implement rate limiting within your systems. We donít have any numbers at this point, but we of course need to prevent individual accounts from submitting thousands of requests in a small window so that we can make sure that we can handle a reasonable number of users. Also if people have specific queries that they are running in large quantities that donít naturally fit into the existing API let us know so that if it is a common request people have that the system can efficiently handle those requests.

Basic Member
    I'm certain I'm not alone in saying that the ability to have a complete database dump of every match detail would greatly reduce our need to download en masse.

Yes, a torrent or set of torrents would be extremely helpful. I would be willing to seed.

We want to store the data on our own servers to reduce load / reliance on the API.

A compressed JSON file (or files by month or match_id range) containing GetMatchDetails for every match would be ideal. Please include the mode (AP, RD, etc) and the Skill Level in the MatchDetails (skill level only appears in MatchHistory).

Since you can't trust clients to rate-limit themselves why not enforce rate limiting on the server side? It should be simple to set up.

Finally, please create a WebAPI / Third-Party Developer sub-forum.
    Last edited by walkingcarpet; 09-17-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Basic Member
    The more data you want to gather, the less useful an API like this seems to be.

You could only use the API like this for you and your friends' matches (and still have a hard time lol), and that's not really interesting to do. The idea of stats in its fullness simply requires all available data.

Easiest would be http/ftp, I don't know how big those files will be e.g. 1 big file for matches till the first of the current month + daily/hourly/periodically or anything. Torrents could also be an option, but it would be a bigger pain to setup. But a p2p system may be inevitable if data is too big & too many users. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Basic Member
    Is there the possibility to gather information for past matches? I was to go further back than the past 25 matches. How could I do this.

Edit:
    Also, is this THE definitive way to get data for DOTA2 games? It seems like the most effective but I am just curious about the other API calls that may be available to me.
    Last edited by BreakThings; 09-17-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arie View Post
    I don't know how big those files will be
    A complete dump would probably be between 20gb and 50gb, depending on how much extra information was in there.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
    I'm certain I'm not alone in saying that the ability to have a complete database dump of every match detail would greatly reduce our need to download en masse.
    Definitely not alone! This is probably the #1 request from users at this point I would imagine. A lot of us want to store a complete history of matches in our own databases and use the API to periodically update our database. Right now, the only way to get our database initially filled is using the API. That amounts to a ton of API requests and I'm sure that's what accounts for the bulk of the requests. Providing these dumps would almost certainly greatly reduce the load on the server handling the API requests. So, it's a win-win situation for you guys and for us

Quote Originally Posted by BreakThings View Post
    Is there the possibility to gather information for past matches? I was to go further back than the past 25 matches
    Take a look at the 'start_at_match_id' parameter, which is detailed in the OP.
    Last edited by MochaFlux; 09-17-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    From the Dota 2 Development Team:

As some of you have noticed, the WebAPI is currently inaccessible.
    And here I was looking to start work on a project today.

Quote Originally Posted by MochaFlux View Post
    Definitely not alone! This is probably the #1 request from users at this point I would imagine. A lot of us want to store a complete history of matches in our own databases and use the API to periodically update our database. Right now, the only way to get our database initially filled is using the API. That amounts to a ton of API requests and I'm sure that's what accounts for the bulk of the requests. Providing these dumps would almost certainly greatly reduce the load on the server handling the API requests. So, it's a win-win situation for you guys and for us

Take a look at the 'start_at_match_id' parameter, which is detailed in the OP.
    Agreed. My development lab crashed and died so I had to start fresh again recently, but since my db is now empty I can't really even develop without data.