Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Download Error 206

Download Error 206

As per title, I keep getting this when downloading BeyondTheSummit:World Tour replays. Anyone care to enlighten me on this issue ?

Basic Member
    Same here with The Defense: NaVi vs Quantic game 1

upd: managed to download it after trying 3 times
    Last edited by Bingo; 07-22-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks for your reply, so I am not the only person encountering this issue. I have tried to keep redownloading the same replay over and over again but it is a very strenuous process. I really do hope Valve fixes this ASAP.

Basic Member
    I have this same error happening for EVERY replay I try to download. It downloads like 10%, sometimes more, then the error appears.

Basic Member
    This happens a fair bit with slower and less reliable connections, and I've found out the problem using TCPView.

What happens is when you download a replay, Steam opens 3 connections to the replay server, using parallel connections to try to improve the download speed. The problem is on slower connections this can make things worse because the connection on your end will bottleneck, and become unreliable resulting in a possible timeout for one of the connections. And unfortunately due to the way the download system works, if ANY one of the three connections drop, the download will fail and you'll get error 206.

Valve, if you're reading this, this should be fairly simple to fix. You need to adjust the system so if one connection fails, just keep the download going using the available connections. And if they all drop, just keep re-establishing connections one at a time from there on in (make a timeout for if it can't re-establish then come up with error 206). In other words keep the parallel connections, but make sure slower clients aren't failing the download because of it.
    Last edited by Waistless; 07-27-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Basic Member
    I would describe my internet connection as slow (700 kbit) and unreliable (fixed wireless) and I get a ton of these error 206 messages. I also find that downloading replays cripples my internet connection more than other activities, which is consistent with buddy's analysis. With my terrible connection speed, I can't watch streams so replays act as my HD quality. If this could be improved, it'd definitely make me a lot more interested in buying more tournament tickets. It's very frustrating to wait 15 minutes on a replay, only to have it die since my email client checked its server.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waistless View Post
    This happens a fair bit with slower and less reliable connections, and I've found out the problem using TCPView.

What happens is when you download a replay, Steam opens 3 connections to the replay server, using parallel connections to try to improve the download speed. The problem is on slower connections this can make things worse because the connection on your end will bottleneck, and become unreliable resulting in a possible timeout for one of the connections. And unfortunately due to the way the download system works, if ANY one of the three connections drop, the download will fail and you'll get error 206.

Valve, if you're reading this, this should be fairly simple to fix. You need to adjust the system so if one connection fails, just keep the download going using the available connections. And if they all drop, just keep re-establishing connections one at a time from there on in (make a timeout for if it can't re-establish then come up with error 206). In other words keep the parallel connections, but make sure slower clients aren't failing the download because of it.
    If the devs don't read this you should message them or I'll do it myself! Thanks a lot for the info, I hope they read this and fix it.

For the record: My internet connection is also slow but long ago I didn't have this problem. It's something from less than 4 months ago.

Basic Member
    same here like vavle need to fix the error download i can't download my sucess moments and them again there is something wrong i hope valve will read this thread

Damn, I got an error right when it reached 91%...
    Visit http://www.ESFIWorld.com for Dota 2 News coverage and more!

Basic Member
    Getting this error non stop today. Cant even reach 20%, shouldnt be a problem with my conenction, 6mb/s should be enough for a replay.