Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A heads up for this week's update

Basic Member
    thanks valve!

It feels like the bots are fighting over Roshan from 9-22 minutes until someone finally takes him out now. They don't seem to be gauging his strength as strongly as they should because they're still dying pretty easily, though not as commonly as before. I don't mind that bots are actually contesting Roshan now, I just feel it's far too early into the game for it to be legitimately fought for either side. Some heroes are level 7-8 while some are still level 5 with half as many items.
    This ain't ova.

Valve Developer
    Okay I'll look at tuning Rosh desire more, thanks.

Hunter: you can do some of that with pings. I could add a self-ping to mean "help!", and maybe a base ping for "back!"...

Just tried another game. It feels like they want to Roshan even while creeps are attacking T3 towers, leaving the base while they're attacking the tower in destination for Roshan. The allied bots will TP in to defend towers that enemy heroes are attacking, but they just line up behind the tower and let the enemies attack it. This happened while I was going to the side shop to get a TP scroll, so if they were waiting for me that might explain it. I did get there, but died instantly after walking up from the tower behind that one. We pretty much wiped after I was insta-gibbed.
    This ain't ova.

Valve Developer
    Okay I'm going to scale their Rosh desire such that they only really get interested in him when they think they can kill him really quickly.

I'll look a the standing-behind-towers-when-defending issue. It's a longstanding problem they've had but there have been some changes recently that should have helped with it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheWild...25347950802333

Enemy bots Roshed at 8 mins and 11, ours went in at 12
    Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    boy im glad all these qualified and educated game designers have come to the forums to help dota 2 grow

Also, Juggernaut doesn't like shopping http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheWild...25347951085580
    Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    boy im glad all these qualified and educated game designers have come to the forums to help dota 2 grow

Basic Member
    Hi Chris,

In Update 5 I think Rosh behaviour is much better from a cursory look. Though the enemy bot team did go for Rosh at 13 mins (Unfair difficulty), they lost no heroes and successfully downed it, and no one suicidally blitzed Rosh for the rest of the game although walking towards it did trigger my team to get an easy Rosh pickup later on.

One thing which I still think is weird about bot behaviour and has persisted through the test client updates is their newfound willingness to base race. In almost every bot game I tried in this build bots will trade multiple towers at the drop of a hat, and seem to hold TPs far less often to go back and defend towers, especially in the midgame. They do this even if their position in the base race is half a tower or a full tower behind, making it guaranteed that they will lose their raxes before the opposing team does. This is pretty unrealistic- it's rare in human games that people are that willing to base race. Part of that is human loss aversion, and so it's OK for bots to be somewhat more willing to trade than humans are, but not to the extent that they'll go for strongly unfavourable trades.

Thanks again for all the work!

Yes, they have been much better at doing Roshan and even contesting Roshan now.

I have another bug that keeps on arising. Bots are more willing to push over defending despite having creeps at their tower and being relatively close by. I took a dumpbots screenshot to illustrate what I mean exactly.
    2012-07-26_00001.jpg

As you can see, Sven actually just respawned and stormed right down mid lane to push even though there are creeps attacking top T3 tower.

Edit: I also think it's maybe even weirder that he wants to solo push against 5 enemies.
    Last edited by squinte; 07-26-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    This ain't ova.

Valve Developer
    Wow yeah that's a crazy push desire for Sven (95%!), but the defend desire (54%) looks reasonable. Thanks for the screenshot.