Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 25/07 Item Changes - My feedback

Basic Member
    I'm very sad for this new icons. Instead to improve the bad ones, u destroy the ones than actually are pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB.Goode View Post
    I'm very sad for this new icons. Instead to improve the bad ones, u destroy the ones than actually are pretty cool.
    Everytime they make new icons, people post stuff like this. These are like 3rd icons that "suck and are much worse than last ones, which were amazing".
    Quote Originally Posted by vladhood View Post
    boy im glad all these qualified and educated game designers have come to the forums to help dota 2 grow

Quote Originally Posted by TheWilder View Post
    Everytime they make new icons, people post stuff like this. These are like 3rd icons that "suck and are much worse than last ones, which were amazing".
    And then they are getting used to it. I never liked satanic and shadow blade though.

Basic Member
    These are my thoughts on the items that really stuck out to me.

The good:
    • Battle Fury- The new icon looks nice, looks more devastating.
    • Chain mail- it looks like chain mail now, instead of a shirt.
    • Eagle Song- Much better icon, it's much nicer on the eyes.
    • Headdress- I love it, it's easier to tell it's a headdress now, and it reminds me of those plague masks.
    • Hood of Defiance- It's absolutely beautiful.
    • Mask of Madness- This item looks much angrier now, it's great.
    • Sange and Yasha- I'm fine with the purple, it's how it was in Dota1.
    • Eye of Skadi- Much better than the bright white.
    • Smoke of Deceit- the smoke looks much more smokey, it's great.
    • Boots of Travel- It's much easier to see the heel now.
    • Urn of Shadows- It looks much better now, the smoke isn't as dense and more of the urn can be seen.
    • Recipe- clever, very clever.

The bad:
    • Armlet- This item is a hard one, I feel like it's easier to tell what it is when it's more like a glove, but of course it's called armlet. I like the new colors, not so much the new shape. Also the off state should have a bit more contrast.
    • Assault Cuirass- It's a bit too glowy. I also liked the old colors better, maybe yellow armor color like before, with a slight green glow(green from the Hyperstone).
    • Black King Bar- the red eyes don't really fit with the rest of the colors, I'd prefer the eyes stay blank.
    • Blade of Alacrity- The new icon looks like any other generic blade, I feel like it should look like it'd fit more with agility, the multiple "illusions" gave it a fast feel in the old icon, which fit well.
    • Couriers - the background is a tad too bright, the couriers themselves I'll probably have to get used to.
    • Gem of True Sight- I'd still honestly like to see the old gem style more detailed instead of a magical eye, though this one isn't terrible.
    • Shadow Blade- The blades purple is too saturated.
    • Magic Wand- It looks like it's made of wood now which is good, but I still think it looks too much like a generic wand, not as unique as the oldest icon.
    • Monkey King Bar- the background is flat black now, which is a bit boring, but it is better than the glowing it had before.
    • Sange- The blade is harder to distinguish from the background, it needs a better silhouette.
    • Yasha- Same deal as the Sange, it's harder to distinguish from the background.
    • Staff of Wizardry- it looks less magical now, although the older icon was a bit too magical, maybe an in between of the two versions.
    • Wards- the new angle looks very odd, I'd prefer them more upright like previously, and the backgrounds should be desaturated a bit.

The ugly:
    • Blink Dagger- The angle of the icon make the blade look extremely fat and short, almost like a shovel. Maybe rotate the blade a bit so it's flat.
    • Satanic- I'm probably the only person in the world that loved the current icon for this item, the new icon looks fine just not as interesting as the current one.
    • Vanguard- The purple part looks a lot less detailed (the purple itself, not the metal swirls), the skull and red magic doesn't look very good either. The new skull isn't very detailed, and just doesn't look as interesting. The red feels really off, I don't think the shield should glow, or at least it should be a much softer smaller glow.
    Last edited by CowThing; 07-25-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Heart needs more contrast with its background too. The old heart looked much better.

Basic Member
    i love the new bottle and ward icons but i think that the new Assault Cuirass icon doesnt look like a DotA 2 icon. in my opinion, the Purple S/Y and Purple Shadowblade are shit

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWilder View Post
    I know we get used to some items, those what they have a little change (textures, definition, colours, 3d model, etc) but items like cuirass (for example) and many others are changed totally and they are worst than ever. I did no said that because i dont like the improves, i said that because some items are really bad and i think most people are agre with me.

Basic Member
    Eye of Skadi is not appealing much pixelated

Basic Member
    I liked the old Dagon where it was very easy to tell what level it was by the number of things on the end. Just having the light get bigger is a lot harder to tell at just a glance.

Basic Member
    I love the new icons, including vanguard and the new assault cuirass. I admit some work could be needed about contrasts and stuff like this, but shapes are fine. Idk why they changed courier and wards though, I agree the new ones are weird. Some items like orchid or wands are much better with the new contrast. But as long as you never ever touch oblivion staff, i'll be fine haha. Oh and btw love the new Eul background. And the red eyes for bkb is a MUST HAVE, idk how people can complain about it.