Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: I do not like the inclusion of memes in this game.

I think they should stop including things like that, doesn't fit the game at all. Some references were "ok sure why not?" but herp derp that's dumb.. What's next? References to "jersey shore" _-?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibubu View Post
    Meh... Let's look at all of this this way:
    There are 90 heroes or so right now in Dota2. Every one of them have at least ~10min of voice acting (hence Wisp, but the on average, there are ~12-13min of responses for every hero).
    90x10=900min = 15h. Yes, people, over 15 hours (more, due to heroes having more than 10min of speech) of pure voice acting in Dota2 already (18 heroes from Dota1 are not even ported). Nowadays, games don't even have campaigns that long. And you are complaining that not even a half minutes worth responses are what you call "humor for children".

VALVe did not need to do this. But they did. And you still want to complain?
    Yeah.

'It doesn't happen often' is not a valid counter point.

Just adding my +1 to this.

When people say 'memes', they don't mean popular references in general. They mean those recent ones that get echoed by 13-year-olds until no one can stand them any more.

Popular references in games can often be very well-done and enjoyable, but some of these lines really make me cringe. The fact that the voicework for the most part is so professionally done just makes the contrast worse. Some are somewhat tolerable because the joke works in context, like "Now that was a failboat!" (although it could stand to play a bit less frequently, especially since a boat that hits no one is not necessarily a failure), but things like "epic fail" are like nails on a chalkboard in the middle of a song I'm listening to, to me.

Even if you don't mind these lines yourself, many people, myself included, are sick of them and just don't want to hear them like this. They should be taken out.

I think many people need to understand what a meme is first before they complain about them. The ones being complained about in this thread are memes that are most recent to us, typically 'Internet memes'

There are FAR more memes of this type in this game than you may realize, by this type I mean memes that are based on well known phrases, quotes and sayings. The heroes are playing on well known memes constantly, even as far back as Shakespeare (Puck).

Internet memes have an edge over olden day word-of-mouth memes of course due to global networking. If epic fail and herp derp are strong enough memes then they may still be in use hundreds of years from now, the fact that the lines are now in Dota 2 is further propagating the meme by making sure all the people who play won't be forgetting it at least until the last game of Dota 2 is ever played, and even then it'd take even more time for all the Dota 2 veteran players to forget the phrase, and you better hope that they don't tell someone about these memes as well or they are going to be infected too...

It's hard for a meme to become extinct with the archiving powers of the Internet to constantly resurrect them.

The meme lines are fine, they may even become funnier with age when the lines become more exclusively attributed to dota.

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    umad bro
    When someone calls mid before the game starts I usually go mid as well, before the game starts (because I'm always a support player and have to ward the runes). If they start to flip out about mid I ask, "umid bro?" >
    This ain't ova.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    I think many people need to understand what a meme is first before they complain about them. The ones being complained about in this thread are memes that are most recent to us, typically 'Internet memes'

There are FAR more memes of this type in this game than you may realize, by this type I mean memes that are based on well known phrases, quotes and sayings. The heroes are playing on well known memes constantly, even as far back as Shakespeare (Puck).

Internet memes have an edge over olden day word-of-mouth memes of course due to global networking. If epic fail and herp derp are strong enough memes then they may still be in use hundreds of years from now, the fact that the lines are now in Dota 2 is further propagating the meme by making sure all the people who play won't be forgetting it at least until the last game of Dota 2 is ever played, and even then it'd take even more time for all the Dota 2 veteran players to forget the phrase, and you better hope that they don't tell someone about these memes as well or they are going to be infected too...

It's hard for a meme to become extinct with the archiving powers of the Internet to constantly resurrect them.

The meme lines are fine, they may even become funnier with age when the lines become more exclusively attributed to dota.
    Except those things are aren't memes, they are shit internet kids shove on your throat because they want to "make a new meme xd"

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    No they don't, because it's something that is just around for a lesser period of time and then vanishes and nobody cares about it anymore..
    If so, we would be filled with thousands of lines that in time would become outdated because kids got tired of them very quickly (just like everything else).

The Hero dialog should be something appealing for everyone and pleasant to hear, it's a Hero, a character in a medieval setting, you don't expect them to say "herp derp..", making meme lines are just alienating people that don't like them.

And they hardly will got exclusively attached to anything related to Dota, else we should have, for example, some lines like the "Vigoss facts".. only people related to dota would knew about Vigoss but what about the rest? see? that's alienating audiences, same thing happens with the whole meme context.

It's cool and everyone hears about it, but that "everyone" is in truth a relative point of view. Not everyone knows/likes those kind of stuff in a game.