Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I do not like the inclusion of memes in this game.

Basic Member
    Thank you and I agree.

'Epic fail' and 'herp derp' in this game makes me cringe uncomfortably: real life memes have no place in a fantasy setting. Please for the love of GabeN unhook them from active voice lines, or delete them.

Whoever thought that was a good idea, christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Brosephski View Post
    Memes are forced humor that appeal to the lowest common denominator. Often referred to as the laugh track of internet comedy, memes can trigger a response in some but are 100% detractory for everyone else.
    Oh come now, so critical now but no one had anything to say about Kunkka's failboat?

That said I agree that this patch went overboard with the memes. I am all for (not so) subtle references to other genres ("You shall not pass") but I think implementing nonsensical phrases is too much. "Herp derp"? That doesn't even have a meaning. I'm more on the fence with "Epic fail", it's not as bad as "Herp Derp" but it is a little too on the nose.

I, for one, welcome our new Russian overlords.

Basic Member
    Kunkka's 'fail boat' has always made me cringe.

I really love the competitive atmosphere the little sayings make, especially the specific hero-to-hero ones (e.g. "I always was the better sister.."). But things like 'fail boat' and 'herp derp' completely kill that atmosphere for me. It turns what are, in my perception, supremely powerful beings into twelve year olds over the internet.

Basic Member
    There are so few of them, it's like they are not even here. I like the herp derp thing and the shall not pass (is this even a meme?) so please if there are some "non-serious" elements in the game, it's not the end of the world, DotA 2 also have a right to have fun elements, and the the definition OP give of meme is quite....false? irrelevant?

I don't see this as being a problem... It's not like Valve is doing this:

"Thanks meat, uh, I mean mate." -Pudge

System Specs (for bug reporting)

AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE
    DFI LanParty DK 790FXB-M3H5
    G-Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
    XFX Radeon HD 6870 2GB GDDR5

Basic Member
    I think it's just that the other lines are so much better. It's like a cake that's all good except for the bottom layer which taste horrible.

The little bit of 'meme' shit marrs the whole thing. 'You shall not pass' is fine, 'herp derp' or 'epic fail' is NOT.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavJVL4D View Post
    There are so few of them, it's like they are not even here. I like the herp derp thing and the shall not pass (is this even a meme?) so please if there are some "non-serious" elements in the game, it's not the end of the world, DotA 2 also have a right to have fun elements, and the the definition OP give of meme is quite....false? irrelevant?
    The thing is that when there's so few they, to me at least, stick out like a sore thumb. I'm fine with things like 'you shall not pass,' yeah it's a reference but it's also relevant.
    The problem to me isn't that they aren't "serious," I'm fine with that, it's that they're straight up childish.

It's not even that they're memes or internet culture. I'm okay with that too, but pick a choose that ones that don't make my hero sound so immature. (E.g. if wind runner said something like "Oh, she was such a good warrior.. until she took an arrow to the knee," I would be content)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by k0i View Post
    Oh come now, so critical now but no one had anything to say about Kunkka's failboat?
    That line has always been to the rest of kunkka's voice lines what a ketchup stain would be to a P.H.D.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
    (E.g. if wind runner said something like "Oh, she was such a good warrior.. until she took an arrow to the knee," I would be content)
    Good god absolutely not, go wash your head out with soap for even thinking something like that.

Basic Member
    Meh. I guess this is where we differ. You have a problem with the references, I only with the phrases.

I'd have chosen a more likeable example (I know people tend to hate arrow to the knee) but I couldn't think of one.

Basic Member
    I cringed when i heard the visage/dirge taunt... It takes absolutely no thought to put something like this into the game, and adds no humor or value or any kind. It really does cheapen the experience. I sincerely hope it will be taken out and replace with something of similar quality as all the other content in this game (except fail boat but whatever, it's just more incentive to not miss)