Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: I do not like the inclusion of memes in this game.

Basic Member
    Half of you are missing the point entirely. You are putting your own opinion above everything else, with an attitude of "this is what this means and there is no two ways about it".

Look at this from a neutral point of view and disregard whether you think "IT JUST DOESN'T SUIT THEM!!1!ONE!".

"I guess gingers do have souls...": He eats souls... Windrunner is a ginger... It makes sense.

"Now that was a failboat..." He missed his boat, he failed to hit anyone... It makes sense. Also note that no one complained ever about the failboat line until now.

"You shall not pass!": If any of you actually played wc3, you would know that kotl was also referred to as gandalf as his nickname. This line throws back to that reference, not to delusions of it "being a meme". Also, since when was "you shall not pass" a legitimate meme and not just an awesome line from an awesome movie? Hell, why don't we make every memorable one liner into a fucking meme?

"Herp Derp Dirge": No idea what this could be in reference to... Doesn't fit/suit the character either, shouldn't really be included in the game.

"Epic Fail": Doesn't exactly fit the character, not sure why they would link it to Kotl.

If you are seriously worried about these sorts of things which ruin your immersion, then why continue playing? From the way some of you are reacting, it sounds like it's the end of your world and you cannot continue playing if you hear this one line. I suppose you quit straight away once you've had your immurrrshennnn killed?

Final Note: Keep that arrow to the knee garbage away from this game however... As hypocritical as that sounds.

Basic Member
    "I guess gingers do have souls...": He eats souls... Windrunner is a ginger... It makes sense.
    But isn't in any way funny

"You shall not pass!": If any of you actually played wc3, you would know that kotl was also referred to as gandalf as his nickname.
    There was no Gandalf in WC3, and in DotA only because the community suggested it
    The meme itself has NOTHING to do with it

Aside from that, a movie reference is not a meme
    It can become a meme, but it origins as movie reference

"Herp Derp Dirge": No idea what this could be in reference to...
    Lol, seriously, "Herp Derp Dirge" is the "joke" itself...

ITT ppl hating on arrow to the knee jokes, poor souls

Basic Member
    But isn't in any way funny
    "If it isn't funny to me, it can't be funny to anyone else." is basically what you are saying. I admit, it isn't that funny to me either, at best it got a "smile" out of me and that was it. You missed the point entirely, so once you get off your high horse, you might want to remember that the world doesn't revolve around you.

There was no Gandalf in WC3
    I am not even sure if you read what I wrote (wc3 = DotA). I guess I should have put "WARCRAFT 3: FROZEN THRONE, DEFENSE OF THE ANCIENTS MOD". Either you are a stickler for absolute correctives or once again you are failing to see the point/sarcasm. I said it had nothing to do with it being a meme or not. It's a reference to his old nickname, nothing more, while some people here think it has something to do with a meme (which it doesn't) and want to removed.

"Herp Derp Dirge" is the "joke" itself...
    Instead of taking the path you took and saying "BUTT ITS NOT EVEN FUNNEH", I'd rather look at what the hell it could mean. VALVe said they didn't add Dirge's gummy vitamin lines because it didn't fit his character, yet they add this herp derp line because... why? What does it imply? It doesn't even fit the universe it's in, yet apparently that doesn't take away from the character. It. Means. Nothing. Why have it?

ITT ppl hating on arrow to the knee jokes, poor souls
    okay 5/10, you got me to reply. I suppose you are off right now making another witty comment on something that relates to "arrow to da knee XDXD"?
    Last edited by dbarbz; 08-06-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar

Basic Member
    Half of you are missing the point entirely. You are putting your own opinion above everything else, with an attitude of "this is what this means and there is no two ways about it".

Look at this from a neutral point of view and disregard whether you think "IT JUST DOESN'T SUIT THEM!!1!ONE!".

"Now that was a failboat..." He missed his boat, he failed to hit anyone... It makes sense. Also note that no one complained ever about the failboat line until now.

"You shall not pass!": If any of you actually played wc3, you would know that kotl was also referred to as gandalf as his nickname. This line throws back to that reference, not to delusions of it "being a meme". Also, since when was "you shall not pass" a legitimate meme and not just an awesome line from an awesome movie? Hell, why don't we make every memorable one liner into a fucking meme?

"Herp Derp Dirge": No idea what this could be in reference to... Doesn't fit/suit the character either, shouldn't really be included in the game.

"Epic Fail": Doesn't exactly fit the character, not sure why they would link it to Kotl.
    This wins the topic.

Meandering off topic a little, I'm not quite sure why everyone does hate Arrow to the Knee so badly. If you spent any time at all away from the internet you wouldn't have found it anywhere near as irritating. Yes, it was overused, but it was also easy to avoid.

[unpopular opinion]I personally would quite like WR to make an arrow to the knee joke[/unpopular opinion]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarbz View Post
    You discredit this as an argument, then proceeded to use it as an argument. It's a perfectly valid point.

I'll reiterate what I said earlier:
    I don't care what my character is referencing, so long as they don't sound childish. Use the word fail correctly and don't say completely nonsensical things like herp derp and I'm fine.
    Also it should fit into the character/lore to the point that it doesn't make you double take when you hear it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarbz View Post
    wc3 = DotA

Quote Originally Posted by gergeux View Post
    He said with WC3, he means DotA1.. At least I hope he does.
    Please, just call me buny.

Well, with those lines they probably guaranteed the influx of a billion LoL players.

Banned
    And i DO like the inclusion of memes in this game.
    But, to be honest all meme lines should be heard only at slightly rare chances, so it wouldn't be way too ridicilous

Meh... Let's look at all of this this way:
    There are 90 heroes or so right now in Dota2. Every one of them have at least ~10min of voice acting (hence Wisp, but the on average, there are ~12-13min of responses for every hero).
    90x10=900min = 15h. Yes, people, over 15 hours (more, due to heroes having more than 10min of speech) of pure voice acting in Dota2 already (18 heroes from Dota1 are not even ported). Nowadays, games don't even have campaigns that long. And you are complaining that not even a half minutes worth responses are what you call "humor for children".

VALVe did not need to do this. But they did. And you still want to complain?