Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I do not like the inclusion of memes in this game.

Basic Member

I do not like the inclusion of memes in this game.

Memes are forced humor that appeal to the lowest common denominator. Often referred to as the laugh track of internet comedy, memes can trigger a response in some but are 100% detractory for everyone else. There was a controversy with Torchlight 2 recently where the developers added in "rage faces" to their game. There was an outcry from fans, and they were removed. The voicework in this game is lovely - I'd hate to see it marred by memes in the final release.

Unique lines should be written that stand on their own merit instead of relying on familiarity for a cheap laugh out of the simplest fans.

EDIT:

After looking at this thread, I realize now that I think a lot of the referential stuff in this game is pretty awesome. I really like the "Chaos Dunk" line from Earthshaker, for example. I really hate "herp derp Dirge" though. I realize now that, while I'd love to see some of the lines removed, I'd be sad to see some of my favorite references go. I think most people are the same. These lines are subjective and it isn't really anyone's place to decide what is good or bad.

Except for herp derp Dirge. Cmon.
    Last edited by Brosephski; 07-29-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Nitpicker. Memes don't ruin the game. No one has ever been bothered by them in this game, as they are very rare.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brosephski View Post
    Memes are forced humor that appeal to the lowest common denominator. Often referred to as the laugh track of internet comedy, memes can trigger a response in some but are 100% detractory for everyone else. There was a controversy with Torchlight 2 recently where the developers added in "rage faces" to their game. There was an outcry from fans, and they were removed. The voicework in this game is lovely - I'd hate to see it marred by memes in the final release.

Unique lines should be written that stand on their own merit instead of relying on familiarity for a cheap laugh out of the simplest fans.
    umad bro

As a long-time 4chan user, I can only agree with you.
    Doesn't help that many call them "facebook memes". That's how low it's become.
    Quote Originally Posted by vodyara View Post
    Please do not let this turn into TF2, the TF2 trading community is absolutely cancerous. They do not care about the game, they just want items.
    Some of my (awesome) suggestions :
    - Left4Dead/Portal 2 style voice command
    - Music Transitions depending on area and time
    - Show full item recipe tree without opening shop menu

Basic Member
    HEY VALVE Y DONT U INCLUDE ALL SORTS OF MAYMAYS XDDDD MY LE DERPINA RELLY LIKES DEM XDDD THEY ARE REALLY INOVATIVE AND FRESH AND REALLY SMART XDDDDDDDDD
    No, seriously, memes are cancer. And their inclusion brings nothing good to the game.
    Last edited by JudasPiss; 07-25-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Anyone remember these from a certain game?
    SomebodySetUpUsTheBomb

AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
    For good or ill, "memes" are a part of video game culture at nearly all levels. Some of them are stupid, and stupidly done, and they can easily lend themselves to cheap thoughtless jokes, but not always. They are not inherently bad: they can be cleverly used. So long as Valve keeps them that way, makes them subtle, and doesn't overuse them, I am fine with them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloroth View Post
    Anyone remember these from a certain game?

For good or ill, "memes" are a part of video game culture at nearly all levels. Some of them are stupid, and stupidly done, and they can easily lend themselves to cheap thoughtless jokes, but not always. They are not inherently bad: they can be cleverly used. So long as Valve keeps them that way, makes them subtle, and doesn't overuse them, I am fine with them.
    Except those "memes" actually originated from the game, the companies didn't want to create them nor did they take it from the internet.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JudasPiss View Post
    Except those "memes" actually originated from the game, the companies didn't want to create them nor did they take it from the internet.
    Both of those quotes were cheats from warcraft 3 and they did not originate from wacraft 3 or any blizzard game.

Quote Originally Posted by JudasPiss View Post
    Neither of those examples originated from "the game", they were taken from other games, popularized on the Internet, then put into WC3. Blizzard very much took them from the Internet, insofar as had they not been memes before hand, they never would have appeared in the game at all.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloroth View Post
    Neither of those examples originated from "the game", they were taken from other games, popularized on the Internet, then put into WC3. Blizzard very much took them from the Internet, insofar as had they not been memes before hand, they never would have appeared in the game at all.
    Thought you were referring to the horrible translation of the game Zero Wing that originated the "All your base are belong to us" thing. I have played through WC3 countless times and never encountered them lol.
    EDIT: just read what the other guy said, yeah I didn't use cheats so I guess it's normal that I have never noticed them.
    Last edited by JudasPiss; 07-25-2012 at 08:23 PM.