Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] Scoreboard

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

[Suggestion] Scoreboard

Scoreboard should appear instantly instead of sliding out. The slide out animation is too slow.

Also there should be an option to make scoreboard toggleable instead of just holding the hotkey.

Basic Member
    i disagree, i like it, and dont think its slow at all considering it happens in about 8 frames anyway

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sterls View Post
    i disagree, i like it, and dont think its slow at all considering it happens in about 8 frames anyway
    I thought everyone would agree in my suggestion, but I guess not. So I will explain why I think this is needed.

I think the scoreboard should appear instantly instead of sliding out is because it's counterproductive.

The slide out animation, as you claim is 8 frames. Knowing how many frames it takes to complete the animation is not convincing enough to disregard my suggestion. How long does 8 frames actually take in time? If the game is running at 30 FPS, then I believe that means 8/30, 0.267 second. If it's running at 60 FPS, then it's 0.133 second. The game's FPS varies depending on how fast your computer is, so for slower computers the animation time could be longer! It might just be that you have a super fast computer and the animation is barely noticeable, but in my case it's long enough to the point that it's counterproductive.

I think it's counterproductive to have the slide-out animation because it defeats the purpose of the scoreboard. The purpose of the scoreboard is to show information whenever the player presses its hotkey. The player would press the hotkey the moment he/she is in need of the information it provides. The animation of the scoreboard takes time to complete. I doubt anyone would be able to read the information during the animation, so the animation time is an unneeded delay. While the animation is pleasing to the eye, it's hindering the purpose of the scoreboard.

Recently, reaction delays was fixed. Units react much faster to our commands. Right clicking to move a hero moves the hero at that moment now; delay has been reduced. I see little reason as to why the animation for the scoreboard should not be removed or reduced considerably.

TL;DR
    The animation is too slow on slower computers. Scoreboard animation is a noticeable delay. Delays in commands should be minimized. The slide out animation should be removed, reduced, or be an option.
    Last edited by 100kV; 11-07-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Basic Member
    i wasn't saying that you were wrong, i was just saying that i disagree, i like it having the nice animation, i think if it just appeared instantly it could be disorienting. You are allowed to have your opinion, and i'm allowed mine. As for slow computers not being able to get even 30fps, i doubt that will effect it much, and the difference is negligible. Also, if you're only gettin 30fps, you're going to have alot more problems in a team fight then having the scoreboard open. Also, the game is not optimized for slow machines yet, so really, you should wait until closer to release, then see if its still a problem, and re-post the suggestion then.

Basic Member
    In DotA 1 the scoreboard appears instantly. I don't find it disorienting at all.

In DotA 1, the scoreboard is also toggled instead of holding the hotkey to keep it up. It is more convenient that way imo. You would be able to issue commands normally, without having one of your fingers stuck in one key.

I'm merely suggesting that DotA 2 follows the DotA 1 scoreboard behavior.

I get your point, yet, I don't think it is slow nor "counterproductive". However, I think it would be a good feature to add to the game if the scoreboard was able to be toggled on or off besides the original sliding stuff.

i like the scoreboard as is, but can understand the problem. so +1 for an option or console command to set instant scoreboard.

I'd like to see an option to use the old (DotA) scoreboard behavior. That should please everyone.

+1 To be an option or a command

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyd View Post
    +1 To be an option or a command
    What I was thinking.
    How about not argue if there should be an animation-- how about just add a option to toggle it.