Thread: All Hero Models + Polycounts

All Hero Models + Polycounts

Sorry if there has already been a thread about this topic, but I did not see one.

I was wondering when we'll get more heroes split into pieces so people from the workshop can work items for them? As I would like to make items for heroes like Razor. It would be nice if you could also update the customization page that has the models ready for download, as I'm sure I've seen OD ready for item making but he hasn't got an icon on that website.

Thanks

They are breaking them apart one by one so you just have to wait, as for the OD cyborgmatt told us its been broken in to parts but you still have to wait for devs to release it so more waiting on that part as well

Ah I see, well I really don't want to make models for the heroes that have about 10 already. Would be nice to make items for like Puck and Shadow Shaman etc

Well if you are a good modeler polygon count shouldn't be a problem imo, also you can compare poly count with similar items that have them. As for hero part that's a bit of gamble but If you create good model they can always break that hero further to implement it

I have a better question why there's no heroes which are already broken into pieces yet, like cm, lanaya, sand king, alchemist, clinkz, disruptor etc.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panter_d17 View Post
    Well if you are a good modeler polygon count shouldn't be a problem imo, also you can compare poly count with similar items that have them. As for hero part that's a bit of gamble but If you create good model they can always break that hero further to implement it
    If you are good at TEXTURING, not modeling.

Making a low poly model look great (using textures) is what takes skill, not pumping up polycount or simply reducing it.

OP, crack open the existing game files to get an idea of the polycounts. Each item and its relative size on the screen dictate different 'acceptable' poly counts. You can spend more polys on a huge shield for dragon knight, while you would really trim it down if you are making bracers or boots, as an example. In a game like Dota 2, the magic really is in the textures. Players dont really get to see your item creations up close and personal where they could inspect fine details - the 'at a glance' appeal is what matters. Players will only see your item as small moving items on the screen, so the colours and general silhouette are what drive the look.

You can use the models valve have made as examples. I was inspecting Chaos Knight's mace, for istance. The actual model is extremely crude - very very simple when you look at it up close. The textures are what give it the appeal.

No. MODELING.

Because being good at modeling means that you can optimize your mesh, doing it with as few vertices as possible. If you are good at modeling, then it is hardly unlikely that you would make something with too many polys. And, being good at modeling also means that you know what deatils you need to realy model and what will be fine to be done on the texture.
    Storm[HUN] ~~~ Sic itur ad astra, per aspera. | [Dotabuff]

Quote Originally Posted by HMAN911 View Post
    No. MODELING.

If you create a sword with 12 000 polygons you can create best texture in the world and it will not help. If you are good at modeling you will know roughly whats acceptable polygon count for games in general hence for dota as well and you will not go to far from poly limits.

I know this because I'm new to modeling and i tried to do a courier. It had 89 000 polygons and i can texture it all i want it will not be in game. I'm pretty sure no decent modeler would do that

Quote Originally Posted by Panter_d17 View Post
    No. MODELING.

If you create a sword with 12 000 polygons you can create best texture in the world and it will not help. If you are good at modeling you will know roughly whats acceptable polygon count for games in general hence for dota as well and you will not go to far from poly limits.

I know this because I'm new to modeling and i tried to do a courier. It had 89 000 polygons and i can texture it all i want it will not be in game. I'm pretty sure no decent modeler would do that
    Well, you did the first step. One of the ways of modelling are making a model with an absurd amount of polygons, with every single detail you want the model to have. After this, you setup the textures for it and take an ambient occlusion map, so every detail you had on it will be on the texture. After this you make the real low poly model that will get on the game and throw the texture you created using the high poly model, and bam, you have a low poly model that haves the exact amount of detail of the high poly one.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordz View Post
    ...and bam, you have a low poly model that haves the exact amount of detail of the high poly one.
    Yep. Where being good at TEXTURING comes in, is that if you are, and your mind can think in 3D well enough, you can right away draw a detailed texture onto a low poly model and have it look correct. That's what I did in SL. :P
    Last edited by Storm; 08-07-2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Storm[HUN] ~~~ Sic itur ad astra, per aspera. | [Dotabuff]