Thread: Make it clearer what KIND of damage a spell does

Basic Member

Make it clearer what KIND of damage a spell does

I think there is one thing in particular that needs be be made clear about a spell/ability. And that is the kind of damage it does. I have seen many people in the game ask why a certain ability broke through their BKB amoung other less common things. The tags are already there but I don't think they are obvious enough (maybe they should be made colorful in the UI?).
    But there are also a few problems with how the UI conveys those mechanics:
    The tags are missing for abilities that don't do any damage such as Naga Siren's Ensnare which also breaks through Magic Immunity. Not to mention, the UI should make it clear what abilities have universal damage like Doom. It says magical but goes through magic immunity and that is just confusing, especially for new players who try to understand it and suddenly find this kind of exception. And then there are things such as the damage from Fiend's Grip being blicked but not the disable. And what about Enhanced Damage?

I think this entire table should be represented and properly explained within the UI and especially the hero-pedia.
    I understand that some of this goes into advanced game mechanics that new players don't need to know about but I think the UI should at least emphasize the damage-TYPE more.

Basic Member
    This is one major area of Dota and Dota 2 that needs to be worked on as far as providing this information to players. There are too many nuanced mechanics that should definitely exist, but reliabile information about them should be readily available and easily understood. There are too many examples of 'exceptions to the rule' to list. This will be one of the challenges that the developers at valve will need to overcome as dota 2 matures.

That being said, at this point in time, this functionality built into the client is not a priority. Valve are trying to promote dota 2 to hopefully overtake the other mammoth in the genre (LOL), and TI2 is almost at the door. I am confident the functionality you suggest will be available in some form eventually.

This is not a hard obstacle to overcome in any shape or form. Simply add it to the tooltip. It won't get cluttered since few spells have more than one, maybe two nuances.

Color coding the damage type would do wonders in the tooltip. For example:
    Does 100 magical damage to the target.
    Does 100 pure damage to the target.

The only thing, as stated, is that other things currently are higher up on the to-do list.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HMAN911 View Post
    That being said, at this point in time, this functionality built into the client is not a priority. Valve are trying to promote dota 2 to hopefully overtake the other mammoth in the genre (LOL), and TI2 is almost at the door. I am confident the functionality you suggest will be available in some form eventually.
    I agree that it is not an ASAP issue but when the game is polished up, they will need to invest a lot in such things, especially tutorials.

Off topic: On a sidenote, I don't believe overtaking the genre is an objective for VALVe. To be honest, I don't think that Dota 2 will defeat LoL in numbers when it's out simply because Dota 2 is more of a niche game due to it's difficulty (but I don't trust those reports about LoL being #1 PC game in the world. Who uses Xfire anymore?). But it will still be the #1 game on Steam. Hell, it hit that spot many times already. In the beta-phase.
    Last edited by Cymen; 08-02-2012 at 05:59 PM.