Thread: Skeleton King - Lighting

Basic Member

Skeleton King - Lighting

Hey Guys,

This has really been bugging me, I'm the creator of this set.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=86008272

Skeleton King has some weird lighting setup, in game if you look at him, he's yellow and black, in Alien Swarm SDK if you look at him, he's black and orange (looks worse then in game) the black doesn't look as clean, and the orange looks extremely dark and metally, compared to in game which is a solid yellow.

Now if you go to CS GO Sdk, you don't have the black at all, but his actual texture color (grey, but thats not how he is in game)

I'm really trying to finalize this set, but just can't because I can't recreate the in game look and colors.

Is there a light option I can change to in CSGO SDK (currently vertexlitgeneric), or am I doomed until there's a dota2 sdk out?

Basic Member
    skcompare.jpg

I have included a screenshot of whats going on, maybe someone can see if its on my end? Or if thats just how it is with those SDK's.

Hey! You there! Did you just witness how our items (mine was Wisp's Mirror of Companionship) got pushed down from page 1 of most popular?

Grrr...

Well good luck sir if that means that they are being (or marked for being) checked

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Automedic View Post
    Hey! You there! Did you just witness how our items (mine was Wisp's Mirror of Companionship) got pushed down from page 1 of most popular?

Grrr...

Well good luck sir if that means that they are being (or marked for being) checked
    Honestly I didn't mind it, I was getting feedback / comments on the set when I can't even get a final in game look, its really disheartening, you want to make it work but the "tools" just aren't available for me, or I am a idiot and don't know how to make it work correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mig_ View Post
    Honestly I didn't mind it, I was getting feedback / comments on the set when I can't even get a final in game look, its really disheartening, you want to make it work but the "tools" just aren't available for me, or I am a idiot and don't know how to make it work correctly.
    I think that's a general problem when you use another game's SDK to view models. I've used the Alien Swarm SDK to view Dark Seer's model and just the same colour bug appeared. His Bracers are actually supposed to be dark (military?) green, but in the viewer they were pitch black.

If you saved your meshes as an .obj or .smd file you might want to try importing them (and, ofc, your textures) to Blender (Freeware) and try baking a "full render" screenshot. There are plenty of light options and as far as I've seen they all mirror the actual colour of the textures quite well. The only problem I've encountered so far is to convert the hero's .mdl file to one of the above mentioned formats so you an actually test your items' looks on the hero.

Maybe that will help.

Basic Member
    I originally set the colors up in my 3dsoftware with vray renders (example below), thats where I get the rough idea of how I want it to look, then I take it to the sdk and start making Masks (Spec / Rimlight / Metalness)

Fullshot_New0038.jpg

I just looked at the darkseer set and what you described happens in the swarm sdk, however, his colors are fine in the CS GO sdk, same as in game, without Spec highlights, which you can see in the Alien Swarm SDK. So to list it.

Darkseer

CS GO: Colors perfect and the same as in-game colors, lacks specular highlights
    Alienswarm: Some colors are off, Spec higlights are perfect.

Skeleton King

CS GO: Colors not perfect, grey armor while in game is black, lacks specular hightlights
    Alienswarm: Colors way off, armor is black though, has specular highlights

Now with darkseer u can create the items, take screenshots in the CSGO model viewer, and tell people this is what will look like in game, 100% true bar the highlights which doesn't really make a difference to see the item.

With SK you can't take a CSGO screenshot, the colors are completely off (grey instead of black), you can't take a alienswarm screenshot, those colors are completely off as well (dark orange instead of yellow). You can't just show a 3d Render screenshot, because thats not what you will see in game or even what the textures you created might look like. Now what I did was create textures that work in alien swarm sdk so I can show people what to expect in game, but I have no idea how that will look in the dota2 SDK.

I really think SK was just a bad pick for me, and perhaps is why he isn't added to the available hero list, despite being seprated.

It's because of metal masks, they dont work properly in alien swarm mv atm.
    It's black in game because it has strong metal masks, check out blue channel of mask1 textures.
    Csgo mv doesnt support any of dota 2 shaders, so it's only color map you can observe.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoJa View Post
    It's because of metal masks, they dont work properly in alien swarm mv atm.
    It's black in game because it has strong metal masks, check out blue channel of mask1 textures.
    Csgo mv doesnt support any of dota 2 shaders, so it's only color map you can observe.
    Ye I just tested it, thanks for that.

A grey i'm using only changes from pureblack when the Metalness mask values are <20 on the color scale (0,255). So not really sure if I can even test it / work around it

Guess its best to just stash the set till the SDK is here.
    Last edited by Mig_; 08-05-2012 at 09:15 PM.