Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Decompiling of models

It seems however the textures are missing. Do you know where can I find them?
    Storm[HUN] ~~~ Sic itur ad astra, per aspera. | [Dotabuff]

Basic Member
    you should change the folder, from models totextures i think, there they are.
    What a man can get from a extinct civilisation : Atlantis' Trident Lost Treasure

Search finds no any actual textures amongst the files extracted from "pak01_dir.vpk". I find no other set pak set, and there is no textures folder.

I found a bunch of files in "materials\models\heroes" but no idea how to extract them, studiodeompiler doesn't work on them. They have "VTF" and "VMT" extensions.

When I open up the model in Blender the materials are named after the path and name of the .tga files, such as "models/heroes/keeper_of_the_light/keeper_hood.tga", but there is no such file in the materials folder.

Basic Member
    http://modsreloaded.com/vtf-2-tga-converter

it took me 2 minutes to google it. Maybe you should try a little hard before come here and post your doubts.
    What a man can get from a extinct civilisation : Atlantis' Trident Lost Treasure

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Search finds no any actual textures amongst the files extracted from "pak01_dir.vpk". I find no other set pak set, and there is no textures folder.

I found a bunch of files in "materials\models\heroes" but no idea how to extract them, studiodeompiler doesn't work on them. They have "VTF" and "VMT" extensions.

When I open up the model in Blender the materials are named after the path and name of the .tga files, such as "models/heroes/keeper_of_the_light/keeper_hood.tga", but there is no such file in the materials folder.
    You just have to drag them to anywhere to extract like with winrar... they are in materials/models/heroes as you said, you open the .vtf with VTFEdit and save it as a .tga

Heh... OK. Just since the reference was to .tga, I thought they should indeed be stored as TGA. I didn't realize the VTF files are the actual images in some exotic format. As I said, I know nothing about game development. I can make a model, I can set up the UV map (since yesterday) and I can make a good texture but how it all becomes part of a game is beyond me.

Thanks for the link tho.

P.s.: I'm making notes so when - if ever - I get to the point of having my items ready for steam Workshop I will sum it all up and make my own tutorial for others like me.